Subject: WotC Gets It Right: The 4e Dungeon Master’s Screen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 4E_DnD [+] [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
After the debacle that was the Character Record Sheets accessory, I was understandably hesitant about future Wizards of the Coast purchases. However, after throwing together a homemade DM screen, I knew I needed something more informative and sturdy. So, when FRP Games notified me that the new 4e Dungeon Master’s Screen was in stock, I ordered it immediately. I received it yesterday, and I can happily say that WotC has put out a fine product.

The DM’s screen measures 8 ½” high and over 3 ½‘ long! It’s made of sturdy (1/12” thick), laminated cardboard, and folds out in four connected panels. The player-facing side features nice artwork with numerous monsters and other scenes. Here are photos of a couple panels.

The DM-side includes numerous tables and summaries of commonly needed information, as well as the page numbers from the PH and DMG. The tables include:

XP rewards for all categories of monsters levels 1 -40 (standard, elite, etc.)
Damage calculations by level
Food, drink and lodging costs
Light sources and their effects
Character level advancement chart
Combat Actions table - std, move, minor, immed., opportunity. free
Falling damage
Summary of the types of combat advantage
Attack modifiers
Difficulty classes to break or force common items
DCs for common skills
Summary of cover, concealment, combat conditions, healing, death and dying

Here’s a photo of one of the inside panels:

All of this for only $7.95 – ironically, the same price as the Character Sheets accessory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks for the heads up Rob!

This looks like a great product....going to purchase one today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised with this item. It was put to use last Saturday and worked well. Also nice is the fact the panels are low enough the GM can easily see over them onto the table. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised with this item. It was put to use last Saturday and worked well. Also nice is the fact the panels are low enough the GM can easily see over them onto the table. thumbsup

Just as a buyer beware, this thing is filled with misprints and rules text that contradicts the official source books. For example, under the "Heal" skill it says "Allow a character to spend a healing surge" when that should be "Allow an adjacent ally to spend his or her second wind", and there are several others pointed out by the EnWorld forum-goers (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showpost.php?p=4436412&postcoun... and subsequent posts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine should be in the post by now.
Great accidental review by the way.
Most just write complete trash in an attempt to get GGold or thumbs or some such rubbish.
So this is definitely one of the best ones I've read on this site!
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
For example, under the "Heal" skill it says "Allow a character to spend a healing surge" when that should be "Allow an adjacent ally to spend his or her second wind",

The healing surge makes more sense anyway since second winds can be spent whenever a character wants. We'll be using the surge version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
For example, under the "Heal" skill it says "Allow a character to spend a healing surge" when that should be "Allow an adjacent ally to spend his or her second wind",

The healing surge makes more sense anyway since second winds can be spent whenever a character wants. We'll be using the surge version...

Actually second wind is once per encounter--healing is intentionally limited to force PCs to actually be somewhat careful and not completely reckless and suicidal. It's your game, but an at-will check (which is trivially easy for anyone trained in healing) to allow someone to use a healing surge would probably make combat ridiculously easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Adams
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEEERRRDDDDDSSSSSS!!!

This, of course, goes without saying around here. Nice review, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we have complete Ogre Immunity around here. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
It's your game, but an at-will check (which is trivially easy for anyone trained in healing) to allow someone to use a healing surge would probably make combat ridiculously easy.

When a typical group is 4 characters, and two of them are players under the age of 10, you need all the help you can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Sweet am going to have to get that one before my next session and dump my homemade one! Looks awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! The DC to force open an adamantine portcullis is 33. I'd been wondering about that.

Thanks Rob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
Aha! The DC to force open an adamantine portcullis is 33. I'd been wondering about that.

Thanks Rob!

Well, just wait until you encounter the hewn stone wall on the other side of the adamantine portcullis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite feeling burned on the character sheet fiasco (bought them before I did my research, shame on me) I picked the DM Screen up today based on your recommendation.

It is what it is. No extras at all (remember when these used to contain a 16 or 32-page adventure?

Anyway, I have to say stitching the panels together landscape-wise was an interesting decision I'm going to have to hold my judgement on. It just doesn't feel tall enough and it's CRAZY wide (3.5 feet wide!). 3 landscape-oriented panels probably would been plenty, and I think 4 portrait-oriented panels would have been preferred. But we'll see.

The illustration on the back is very nice - although I was instantly reminded of the Descent and expansion box covers (and you will be, too!).

I'm still pleased - it actually looks really useful. Thanks for the heads-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the problem with the character sheets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thrasymachus wrote:

To many, it was false advertising. The product was described as 32 pages of character sheets, when it was - charitably - about half that. And it was simply photocopies of the ones available in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thrasymachus wrote:

Oh, I went on a bit of a rant after they came out... blush

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/326740

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.