Popular Tags: [View All]
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
(Keep in mind I've played this game 4 times now, twice wrong).

As you can suspect, being the noob owner of this game, my wife and I are just as fresh to it with whoever we play with...and it's anyone's game.
Though I feel with more practice, we'll start annihilating new players at our table...and that won't be any fun.

I've read this all to be true about new players that won't be able to catch up in PG. That's just how the game works.

With that said, I propose this mistake (ehem, variant!):
You really can block players' cities. Instead of being able to jump over someone and pay the bigger connection fees, why not just let them be stuck there. This may allow players to block a leading player semi-permanently ... and in order to star building again, that leading player must simply wait for The Next Step (where he can build in occupied cities).

I think this would give the lesser players a chance to catch up wouldn't it .. so that by the time each step comes, everyone is just a little closer.

I would love some options from exp'd players
k.

EDIT: grammar/spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad!

The 'big jump' over other players' cities is costly, so that should be sufficient as 'block'. Besides that, there are other ways to block the leader, just buy all resources before him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would seriously change the game and I'm not sure it would help new players as most likely, they would be the ones who found themselves blocked making the problem you're trying to fix worse.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dowdy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This could get really unpleasant. Newbie player sticks his first house in a city over on the edge of the board. You take one of the two cities it connects to, and expand into the other one before he does, chiding him with "have fun powering one city for the rest of the phase."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
wow
This is a TERRIBLE idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wong
United States
Daly City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it this way by mistake for my first few games. It's horrible. A single player can stall the game by enclosing a few cities, not expanding into them and thus preventing step 2 from triggering. They can choose to trigger step 2 whenever they want, or just wait for step 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ketchupgun wrote:
wow
This is a TERRIBLE idea!

Agreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not good, like others have said its going to be the experienced player shutting out the noob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.