Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've drawn attention to this game elsewhere, but it really deserves to get some more attention: an excellent push-your-luck dice game by Knizia, called Reiner Knizia's Decathlon. Like Yahtzee, all you need are dice (in this case 8), a scoresheet and rules. Some of the mechanics and concepts are similar to Yahtzee (push-your-luck, decisions about which dice to re-roll), but Knizia has done an excellent job in theming it around a Decathlon with 10 different events. They are well balanced, and the game is particularly suited for a group playing competitively. Perhaps it only gets noticed once every four years, when the Olympics are happening, so maybe this is the time to give it some well-deserved publicity.

It's a free download from the master Knizia - also download the excellent score sheet. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a great quick and free game to get into the "spirit" of Olympic competition!

For a taste of what the action is like, see an extensive session report here:
New World Records: Celebrating the 2008 Olympics with Knizia's Decathlon
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/335793

Here's an example of one of the events, illustrating a world record in the 400m from the above session report:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
How is it better than Yahtzee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Potter
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such thing as "Like yahtzee, only better." There is only "Yahtzee" and "not Yahtzee". And this is "Yahtzee".

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hacksword wrote:
How is it better than Yahtzee?

There has been more discussion on this elsewhere. As far as the game play and the mechanics go, I'd agree that in the abstract it's not superior to dice games like Yahtzee. What makes it better for most people, however, is the theme. The way the theme is incorporated into the mechanics gives the game a lot of flavour and drama, and I think this is the real reason that most Decathlon fans prefer it above Yahtzee. For example, consider these session reports:

New World Records: Celebrating the 2008 Olympics with Knizia's Decathlon
In which three world record holders return to the track
In which Mr N breaks world records in the high jump and pole vault!
Disaster and Glory in a Rookie Decathlon

You won't find anything as thematic, dramatic, or interesting in the Yahtzee session reports!

Being able to compete for world records in the individual events just enhances this further. In terms of gameplay, I can understand why some might prefer Yahtzee, especially if the theme of Decathlon is of no interest to them whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but i found it through Google and it seems really interesting!

But the download links are dead

Any idea where I download it?

Thanks,
rudy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreatrudini wrote:
But the download links are dead

Any idea where I download it?

Looks Knizia's site has been revamped. Here is the new link:

http://knizia.de/wp-content/uploads/reiner/pdfs/Knizia-Websi...

Also check the files on the BGG page for the game for some good score sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.