Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read so many posts about the evolution of "experience play", I I decided yesterday, while playing a four person game, that I would do nothing except try to win through a building victory. Up to now, our wins have been solely by the sheer dominance of a massive shipping strategy (i.e wharf/harbor).

I have to say that this felt quite counter-intuitive as i passed a free corn a couple times in lieu of a quarry, and even handed a lucrative Captaining to someone so I could take the money on build (and build). I even (for the first time EVER in one of our games) bought the University.

By the end of the game I had only 7 victory points and was sure that I had gotten smoked. However, with 2 #10 buildings I ended up with 42 points! Wow!

I didn't win, but everyone in the game was shocked - including myself. I'm going to have to research this a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
It is quite shocking win someone does this strategy for the first time in a group. Make sure you get the factory, that will be a big help with any building strategy. The Office doesn't hurt either, and then the small and large markets will only add to the the Office's power during your game.

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Buildings are my strategy of choice. I recommend a turn-1 small market, 2 quarries, coffee and factory. Then fill in the missing goods to make the factory work better. Don't bother with the office, as the payback is too slow; the coffee will provide enough income early on. The factory will kick in later. Don't choose production or captain, stay focused on the money. Aim to fill in your bulding spaces as soon as possible, before the big shippers get their wharfs and harbours working effectively. You will possibly score single-figures for shipping VPs, but this is normal for this strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Tait
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm in the opposite position. My group (myself, my wife, usually a colleague from work, and sometimes my parents) seems to go for the building strategy mostly. We've had four games so far, and the person who has won has always done so based primarily on buildings. Last time I decided to try a shipping strategy, and I came fairly close to pulling it off (I was 5 points behind the leader). But I don't think I was single-minded enough about it (and obviously we're all still pretty new at this game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.