Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been attending this since 2005 and look forward to it every year. This year my oldest son (tmjjs 1) wasn't able to join me as he has in the past because of a baseball tournament, but I went with my friend Alan and had another great time. Here's a breakdown of the games played each day during Origins 2008.

Wednesday, June 25th We left around 10:30 AM after picking up Alan and drove straight to the convention center. I was able to get my badge with no problems from the minis hall while Alan got his at the pre-registration desk. We headed up to the BOARD GAME ROOM to get in a few games before heading to the hotel.

Goa - Alan and I grabbed this game and got Sean to play it with us. Turned out Sean plays this a lot and we all had a good time. I was able to squeak out a victory.

Age of Empires III - I got to pick the next game and choose my favorite right now. Joining us were Bob and Tom for a 5 player game. I was able to get another win.

Roll Through the Ages - Sean and Keith from Fred Distribution/Eagle Games came up to the room and asked Alan and I to playtest this game. It's a nice 4 player filler using dice to simulate a civ building game. I came in second and felt the game needs more interaction between players.

Thursday, June 26th Got to the convention early and headed up the board game room. I had the Settler's of Catan Master Tournament today. This was a free, invitation only tournament for previous qualifiers in Settler's of Catan World Qualifier tournament. The winner of this tournament would get an entry and trip to the World Championship which was being held at Gen Con, not Essen.

Ticket to Ride: The Card Game Meet up with Heath who I meet and played games with at the Fire & Ice Conventions. Heath taught me the game well since I was able to get a victory.

Settler's of Catan Tournament I played four games in this Master's Tournament. I wasn't expecting too much and when I tied for 2nd at 5 points in my first game (Mark, Scott & Phil), my expectations went even lower. I sat down at the 2nd game and was greeted by 3 women at the table (Stephanie, Michelle & Heather). When the robber went on the "male" at the table, I was nervous, but was able to make a comeback and win the game. Coming into the 3rd game (Patrick, Allen & Willis) I knew I would need to win out to get the prize. I was able to get the win in this game and the 4th (Paul & Chuck). Being the only 3 game winner in the tournament, I was declared the winner and told I won an all-expense trip to Gen Con to compete in the World Championship!

Aerodrome - I ran my first session of Aerodrome for Rick and had a great time. I have played the game a lot, but was never the GM of the session before this.

Masons I came back to the board game room and found Alan involved in a game, so I went looking around. John & Kay were just getting started with the game and since I had picked this up from the Rio Grande Giveaway (THANKS!), I asked to join them. We had a fun game with only a few rules wrong and I got the victory.

Friday, June 27th Got to the convention hall before the exhibit hall opened and headed up to the board game room with Alan. I had my goals for the day of getting the Mayfair Ribbons done. To do this you play full/demo games at the Mayfair booth in the exhibit hall and they give you a ribbon of one of the five resources from Settler's of Catan (Wheat, Sheep, Brick, Wood or Ore). After collecting all 5 you get several prizes including a 50% off coupon for one of their games.

Ticket to Ride: The Card Game Alan and I were just getting ready to play this when we meet up with fellow Elgin Eagle Mike Pennisi who joined us. The game plays a little better with 3 than with 2 and I was able to get another victory.

Catan Dice Game Played a full game of this at the Mayfair booth for a ribbon. I won the game, but the game didn't do much for me. The box says for 1-4 players, but you could play with thousands, since there is no interaction between players. Each player could do their 15 rolls and then compare the scores.

Bacchus' Banquet Another demo game at the Mayfair booth. I have played this before and think it compares favorably with Bang! A little more interaction, but it's fast and fun. Of course, the Mayfair staff made us play a full game which I lost.

Hey! That's My Fish This is my favorite game to demo at the Mayfair booth, since it is quick and a great game to boot! I actually played two games of this to complete my ribbon quest along with the ribbon I got from the Masters Tournament on Thursday.

Aerodrome Went to run the second session for Rick and was able to get into 2 games at another table while waiting for my table. Also got to play in all 3 games at my table since we had a light turnout. Was able to get a couple more kills in the 5 games.

Ice Flow Went up to the board game room and got into a game of this with Alan, Joe and Luke. Had a good time with this fun themed game and came in third.

Wealth of Nations This had to be "THE" game of Origins. There was always a couple games of this going on in the room and had the buzz of the show. Alan and I went with Joe and Luke to play with Randy who had played before. I really liked the game even though I came in last. The only downside I see with the game is the length. It took us over 4 hours to play the game including rules explanation. I can see the game getting down to around 2 hours when you know what you are doing, but I think there will usually be a new player to strecth out that time.

Saturday, June 28th When I got the Mayfair ribbons yesterday, I found out if you got a 2nd set of ribbons and turned in the Fisherman expansion, you could get the new 4th edition outside border expansion. Since I had bought the Fisherman expansion last year at Origins, I decided to go for the 2nd set. I would also get another raffle ticket!

Around the World in 80 Days Alan and I got to the board game room early and found Paul from Great Britian to teach us this game. The game is a race using cards and was easy to learn. I came in second.

Tzaar Alan and I played this great two player game since we still had some time before the exhibit hall opened. Alan beat me and I wanted a rematch which I also lost.

Toledo Played a full game of this as a demo at the Mayfair booth. Liked the game enough to decide to buy it with my 50% off coupon from yesterday. I finished 2nd in the demo since I didn't manage to get any paintings.

Hey! That's my Fish Another demo game along with some others that I didn't write down to get some ribbons.

Inca Gold Alan and I volunteered to demo this game and the next one for Fred Distribution/Eagle Games at a table outside the exhibit hall. We were able to demo this game 3 times with one of them being an eight player game that was great!

Rapscallion We also got to play a couple demo games of this.

Brass I picked this game up for doing the demos and told them I would demo it up in the board game room that night. Alan and I played this along with Jerry and James. I must be a good teacher since I came in third.

Roll through the Ages Alan and I played this again with Ed and Mary under the impression that some changes had been made to the game involving more player inter-action. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. While not a bad game the lack of interaction can cause problems. I think all four of us in the game were carrying on conversations with people not in the game and it just doesn't give the vibe I'm looking for in a quick filler type game.

Sunday, June 29th Headed back to the convention hall for the final day of the convention. My goal was to demo some Rio Grande games while waiting for the Mayfair raffle drawing.

Ice Flow Got in another quick game of this with Alan who had decided to buy it from Fred the previous day. We got all the rules correct and I was able to get the victory.

Patrician I demoed this final game - Okay, actually had to play the complete game which I won. I got my final ribbon needed and I was able to get the 4th edition upgrade kit for Settler's of Catan.

Utopia I was able to get over to Rio Grande and only get in this demo before heading over to Mayfair again. We didn't finish, but got a good taste of the game, that I want to play again.

I didn't win anything at the Mayfair Raffle and so we headed home. The drive home was uneventful and seemed to fly by during our conversation. I really can't wait to come back next year - my favorite convention of the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the Catan tournament win. Good luck at the World Championships! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
Congrats on the Catan tournament win. Good luck at the World Championships! cool

Since I just got to writing up my Origins experience, I haven't gotten to Gen Con yet! However, it's already been announced, but I managed to actually win the World Championship!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMJJS wrote:
However, it's already been announced, but I managed to actually win the World Championship!

How frickin awesome is that? Way to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.