Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Yearsley
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting up a boardgaming club at Rutgers University, and I'm deliberating on what to use my funds allotment on. Eventually I'd like to move to a decentralized system that deals with buying and selling to and from the Rutgers population, with most of the games played not being owned centrally by the club, but right now I have to start it off with a stock of solid games that will always be there.

What I own personally (that I would bring):
Niagara
Carcassonne
Settlers of Catan
Attika
Memoir '44
Puerto Rico
Nexus Ops
Knights of Charlemagne
St. Petersburg
Risk 2210
Cluzzle
Why Did the Chicken?

What other games should I stock? I have about $400 to spare. As of now, I'm thinking of diversifying with a few party games, negotiation games, and cooperative games. I'll need a variety of styles with a variety of play times (under 2 hours, though) and player numbers to accomidate varied wants, with a main focus on fun over heavy strategy, with the exception of a few choice abstracts. Here's what I'm thinking of so far:

Go
Chess
Shadows over Camelot
Apples to Apples
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Dragon's Gold
Fire & Axe
Scrabble
Bohnanza
Lord of the Rings (2000 version)
Diamant
Bang!
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects
Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf (pick your favorite, I recommend them all) for large groups
Agricola, well, I like it...
A set of Icehouse pieces would go a long way, have a game design contest..
Get a couple Tichu decks and run a tourney
Wits and Wagers would be fun with large groups
Dominion will be worth its while, set aside some cash
...as will Race for the Galaxy (more players with upcoming expansion)
Get another Memoir '44 so that you can play 6 instead of 2
Imperial will be a good step up from Risk for many people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2019
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedar wrote:
What other games should I stock? I have about $400 to spare. As of now, I'm thinking of diversifying with a few party games, negotiation games, and cooperative games. I'll need a variety of styles with a variety of play times (under 2 hours, though) and player numbers to accomidate varied wants, with a main focus on fun over heavy strategy, with the exception of a few choice abstracts. Here's what I'm thinking of so far:

Looks like you have a nice collection to start with and I like most of the additions you've picked out. I'll bet you can get a copy of Chess and Scrabble for practically nothing (or maybe for nothing ). I like Euros and I see you have Puerto Rico, but how about Power Grid? At a university, I'd expect students to be interested in something heavy (and fiddly) like Power Grid. Also, Wits & Wagers is a nice trivia game that handles lots of people. It is a trivia game, but you don't really have to be a trivia buff to play. I think I would, at least, consider those two games if I were starting a game club at a university.

EDIT: Two more that I meant to include are Ticket to Ride and Ra. They are easy to pick up and play and everyone I've played with has really enjoyed them and, at least Ra, has some depth (though TTR requires some thinkin' and plannin').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
You need RoboRally for the math & engineering crowd. And Say Anything is strictly superior to Apples to Apples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get RoboRally, and I'd recommend Cash 'n Guns as well as the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Morse
Wales
Penarth
vale of glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Die macher. Bollocks to your criteria, get it and play it to death!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You have Great choices already!

GO Great idea & the variant "Go Moku" is simple & fun.
Bohnanza is a must have! Great for a wide variety of people.
Pandemic is one of the best cooperative games out there.
Cleopatra & society... is simple but a great time.
I'd also condsider;

I'm the Boss for a combative crowd.
and a favorite card game of mine from the past:
Venture which I've played with 10yr olds up to my 60+ yr old dad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely does look like you've got a good start. I'd expect you'll find a lot of people bringing their own games, and you should be able to rely on that for a lot of variety.

I'd second the suggestions of Race for the Galaxy, Ticket to Ride, and Ra. I'd also add Alhambra, and Kingsburg.

If you can hold back some of your budget, see what games people bring that are hits, and get a club copy of those. (One disadvantage of a University club is that members naturally cycle out after a few years, and take their games with them...)

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools

Bring some accesible conflict games! This is really a Euro-focused list, and you'll have a better chance if you cater to all tastes. Besides, most university students will prefer the combative play of a good wargame.

As the goal is presumably some good interaction and multiplayer games, I'd first recommend the following:
-Descent: Journeys in the Dark - a good game, it will catch a lot of eyes, and will probably be very popular with those coming in from a fantasy background
-Starcraft (not a personal favourite of mine, but very accessible, quick to play, and from a very popular franchise)
-A Game of Thrones
-Wallenstein (sp?)

Okay, so two of them are big-box games, meaning more expensive, but big winners with newbies or casual gamers.

I'd also recommend including:
-Axis & Allies (mostly because it's so easy to Grok how to play - good intro.)
-Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
-War of the Ring
-Twilight Imperium (if you have a long game night)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Arkadia
Imperial
Modern Art
Taj Mahal
Yinsh
Tower of Babel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Also, definitely 1960.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Pine Grove Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride?
Zooloretto (or Aquaretto)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a club, put it to them.

Make a list of possible purchases and prices, and ask for them to be ranked by all voting members.

Then do a run-off and get those games.

No matter what the game, if you don't have players for it, it's just a box with cardboard, paper, plastic and/or wood in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that suggestion. IN your first meeting, you could have a sheet with choices and the bgg url of course. Let the members tell you what they would like to play before you spend $$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Great list so far and a lot of good advice. I was thinking about starting a game club also and like what I see here.

As for my own advice I second and third the shout out for Power Grid and I would strongly recommend Acquire. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Also from our groups collection that I see being crowd favorites...
China- Great area control game.
Santiago- Great bidding/bribing game.
and
Beyond Balderdash- So that newbies don't feel like they're completely out of touch with what's going on and its still a great game.

I recommend for quick fillers...
TransAmerica- Win by mooching.
Loot- Who doesn't love pirates?
Mamma Mia!- Makin pizzas.
and
Coloretto- Much faster than Zooloretto and pretty much the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
Tumblin-Dice, if you can find it. Or some other fun dexterity games to add to the mix of what you already have and others have suggested.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
What do University students have tons of? Time. At least I did. There's lots of games I played in college that I never get a chance to play now due to time constraints.

Diplomacy
Machiavelli
Civilisation

One factor that you should bear in mind is loss/damage/theft. Perhaps not a big deal but I wouldn't bet copy of Risk Black Ops on it. Some games are unplayable if a piece is damaged or missing and ohers are more resistant. Some games are a lot cheaper to replace and/or have easily accessible replacement parts. Consider marking the club owned games.

I think the idea multiple people already mentioned to ask the members is a good one. Save at least some money to buy 'hot' games after you figure out what those might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you've got a good start...but you might want to get more games in the light to medium range for more appeal. Here are a few games that you might want to consider:

Ticket to Ride
Jamaica
For Sale
No Thanks!
Wits & Wagers
Apples to Apples
Time's Up!
Catch Phrase! (I'd recommend the electronic edition)
Diamant (aka Incan Gold)
Slide 5 (aka 6 Nimmt!/Category 5)
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Shadows over Camelot
Pandemic
Elfenland
Around the World in 80 Days
Werewolf
10 Days in Africa (or any game in the "10 Days" series)
Wizard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.