Zombies!!!» Forums » Variants

Subject: House rules (with Guts!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Springer
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
After reading a few variants here, I figured I'd mention my own. We play with most of these rules, most of the time. Some of these rules have been cobbled from elsewhere.

Endgame . To win, a player must get either the required number and make it to the helicopter, or get twice the required number to win outright. The required number is 25 for 2 players, 20 for 3, and 15 for 4 or more. This rule can make the game take considerably longer, especially if playing with expansions.

Helicopter . In addition to the normal rules, the player must also get the helicopter started. When on the center square, a player may sacrifice their movement to try to start the helicopter. A roll of a 6 gets the job done.

Zombie Master . One player will need to volunteer to be the zombie master (or roll for it). The ZM places all tiles and moves all zombies. The ZM's goal is to kill one of the other players so he can respawn. The killed player then becomes the ZM. Obviously, its impossible to win while playing as the ZM. In a live game, this works out pretty well because it takes zombie control out of player hands, eliminating the two steps forward, one step back movement patterns that typically occur. It also speeds up the game since a player can continue on with their turn while the ZM is placing the tile and anything it has on it.

Devoured . If a regular zombie kills the player, it becomes a super zombie. If a super zombie kills a player, a regular zombie is spawned in the nearest legal space.

Its only going to get worse . When a 6 is rolled for zombie movement, 1 super zombie is spawned in any named building with no player on the tile or at any unconnected road square (this includes the helipad).

Logical weapon locations . Item cards may be played from any logical named building (no guns in the toy store).

Drive-thru Mall . When playing with expansions, tiles may connect to other sets so long as they connect with their original set as well. Most event cards requiring a specific target or building from its original set can be applied to other sets also.

Guts

Frankly, the official rules related to guts (Zombies 5) are not very interesting. We use them for special abilities. Players start with 3 guts and may never have more than 5. Each time a 6 is rolled for combat, the player gains a token. Each time a 1 is rolled for movement, the player loses a token. These tokens may be spent in several ways.

Frenzied . Cost: 1 . Increase combat result by 1. Sometimes also applies to other events that allow the use of bullets, though typically this is disallowed if the card specifically calls for bullets.

More where that came from. Cost: 1 . Play an extra event card this round.

Ignore the pain . Cost: 2 . Gain 1 health.

They're everywhere . Cost: 2 . Spawn a super zombie. See Its only going to get worse above.

I'm also thinking about adding:

Just a little bit further . Cost: 1 . Add 1 to movement.

Look what I found! . A non-combat item card may be played from any building (Cost: 1). A combat item may be played from any logical building (Cost: Modifier - 1, minimum 1) or from any building (Cost: Modifier). If a card has multiple modifiers, the highest modifier determines its cost. Negates Logical weapon locations above, when playing with guts.

Event Cards

I've created a few custom events to tape onto the blank / unused cards. I'm paraphrasing the wording here, since I don't have the cards with me.

.44 Magnum . Played from any logical location. Player may spend one bullet to increase their combat roll by 3. (Only 1 of these in the deck. Will not necessarily autokill a super zombie. Only bullets can be used, no guts.)

Keep one bullet for myself . Play when not in combat, and with one heart left. Respawn as normal, losing only one quarter of your zombies and keeping one item.

Throw the gun at them . Play this card when in combat and out of bullets. Escape from combat into an adjacent square. Any remaining movement may be used as normal.

The Blob

I've never actually gotten to play this because there's always someone new at the table, so it may not be balanced.

Spawn . After the third 6 is rolled for zombie movement, the next tile placed has one blob token and no zombies on it (I use red glass beads). While its possible the Blob will never spawn, on average he should appear around tile 12 (die has a >50% chance to roll a 6 within 4 rolls).

Movement . The blob can be moved instead of one of the zombies. The blob moves by taking one of its edge tokens and placing it on another edge. The blob may only be moved once per player's turn. Normally, a player may never enter the blob's square, but the blob can enter the player's square. The blob may not move past a player.

Absorb . The blob may absorb a zombie on its edge instead of moving (replace the zombie with a token).

Combat . If the blob enters a player's square, that player must resolve combat on the start of their next turn. However, a success means only that the player escapes into the nearest legal, non-blob occupied square. Failure results in the loss of a heart. If the player survives, he is ejected to the nearest legal space. If the player dies, the blob absorbs him and adds another token to its edge.

There are two event cards to go along with this new monster. Since I've never played this, I don't remember the text too well.

Containment Suit . Play this card as an item. Player may enter blob occupied squares. If the player begins his turn on a blob occupied square, he must still resolve combat.

Freeze Ray . Play this card as an item. Player may fight the blob as if it were a zombie.

I believe the suit could be played anywhere, but the gun had to be played from specific buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Springer
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I have finally had a chance to play the game with Blob rules. They don't work as well as I'd like. I think the following additions / changes may make it more viable.

Containment Suit . Suits can be acquired from any logical building (Hospital, Fire Dept, etc). The cards are still used to allow for a player to obtain one without making a side-trip (but provide a +1 escape bonus if played from a logical building).

I won't go out like that . If a player is trapped by the Blob, they may choose to restart at the town square per a normal death (instead of waiting for a card to save them, or for the blob to corner them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls