Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else tried printing the new counters from Line of Fire magazine #3? I can't get them to print the right size (same as the original die cut counters). I don't know of a way to print a pdf just a bit bigger (they seem to print around 10-15% too small).

Even with the versions I have printed, the lack of contrast between the very dark background and the text/numbers makes them very hard to read.

Anyone else having problems with these? Along with the scenarios, these are the only reason I paid for the magazine, I'd like to get them right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does your printer give you the option to increase or decrease the size of the pages before printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly. I try to use the big printer at my work for counters, as it gives excellent quality prints.

But I have to do it quietly...

Besides, I wouldn't have thought that should be necessary!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some problems as well printing them out. What I did was to print them out with the scale set to fit the margins. I then adjusted the size of the paper using the custom size option. It took me about four trials before I got the right size by printing out in grey scale. Once I got the right size, I printed out in color and they came out well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Schulte wrote:
I had some problems as well printing them out. What I did was to print them out with the scale set to fit the margins. I then adjusted the size of the paper using the custom size option.

Don't suppose you remember the optimum size, do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the length of the paper had to be about 10.3 inches. The size for the PDF was at about 120%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it good enough, just fractionally oversize - should be fine after cutting.

Still not happy with the end result though - the resolution isn't as good as the counters in issue #2, and combined with the lack of contrast between the very dark green background and the black text they're very hard to read. My printer quality settings were identical, so it seems these counters were just not so well produced. Interestingly, the file I downloaded was called 'LOF3revised.pdf' - maybe 1 more revision would have helped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think mine are slightly larger too, but it's not a problem.

I think the problem with the resolution is due to the dark color of the background. Hopefully that will be taken into consideration next time new counters come out. One thing I may check though is if it makes a difference if I use a paper with a glossier finish. Right now I use adhesive paper with a matte finish. My wife works for a printing company so I may have to experiment with some pilfered supplies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.