11 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Dip
msg tools
mb
Hey everyone, I have a quick question here. I usually only play this game solo, and have played the vanilla game to death. I am interested in adding expansions but have heard some comments here about having too many at once diluting eachother. Assuming money and availability are no option, which expansions should I get. If having all of them outweighs the dilution problem then I could go that route.

One last note, I am set on getting Dunwich, and I am also not a fan of travelling expansions(Id rather have them in the game forever) but if theyre that good I could make an exception.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to play them all at the same time. You could play them at different times for different scenarios so to speak. Like the traveling exhibit variants for Curse of the Dark Pharoah or King in Yellow. Play them when you want a different scenario. That way there isn't a dilution problem.

I have heard that its not as good to play them all at the same time though because then you are faced with a dilution problem. Never done it myself though so I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If money is of no concern get them all. Everyone has their favorites and their reasons aren't any better than any one elses.

The big box expansions allow you more room to explore and give you more investigators and GOOs. So personally, I think they give you more bang for your buck. If you are already set on Dunwich, then that would be the route to go.

The small box expansions give you a little flavor burst. And these are also the ones that suffer the most for having more than one expansion mixed in. There is nothing wrong with mixing them all together and leaving them except some fo the design aspects get lost. KiY for example has a mechanismto end the game early if the 3 Act cards come up. Well, the chances of pulling these Act cards gets diluted if you add the other 4 expansions in as well. So one of the main points of KiY becomes a moot one.

The chances of hitting some of the other specific things are slim but at least with the big box expansions, you can control your destiny more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dip
msg tools
mb
Are there any key elements from expansions or other sources that I could just print off and play that are worth getting? The one example I'm thinking of is the Dunwich herald, once I own dunwich of course. Anything else like that worth getting assuming I'd only own the base game and dunwich?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the expansions, and don't really care that people think things are "diluted." I have a blast not knowing what is going to happen next. That doesn't, however, mean I LIKE every expansion. Here are the expansions, in the order that I prefer (if you are looking at an order to buy them):

Dunwich: If you only buy one expansion, get this one. Period. The mechanics it adds are worth every penny.

Black Goat of the Woods: Best of the little expansions, IMHO. Good flavor of cards and the corruption aspect is cool.

King in Yellow: It adds the rules for heralds and targets the terror track. This one ratchets up the difficulty of the game.

Curse of the Dark Pharoah: This one isn't standing up so well with all the other expansions, although it was the first one. It has lots of "fiddly" things that can be a little more trouble keeping track of than they add to the game. I am not sure this is anywhere near a "must have" for anyone but someone who just wants to have everything.

Kingsport Horror: If there is an expansion that I will take out of my game, it'll be this one. Don't get it unless you want everything. I think the "rifts" and extra boards of this expansion (along with the less than awe-inspiring extra investigators and GOOs) don't add that much, and may be more trouble than they are worth. This is, by far in my opinion, the least interesting expansion, and the one with the least value for the price.

I think you would be happy with just Dunwich. Anything else should just be if you want more randomness in your game.

Welcome the game and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Transvestor wrote:
Are there any key elements from expansions or other sources that I could just print off and play that are worth getting? The one example I'm thinking of is the Dunwich herald, once I own dunwich of course. Anything else like that worth getting assuming I'd only own the base game and dunwich?

Go to Fantasyflightgames.com and check out the "Strange Aeons" thread. Lots of people are posting new investigators/GOOs/heralds, etc. SA is great software that lets you do your own sheets that look just like the ones in the game. You can also look for some variants on FFG's forums, and here, that can add spice to the game. You wouldn't need anything more than AH and Dunwich. King in Yellow adds the herald mechanism, but I don't think it is necessary to play with most heralds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the 'key' parts of the expansion pretty much require the components from the expansion to use.

You're making a good choice with Dunwich, I quite enjoy the Dunwich expansion.

I highly recommend The King in Yellow, it adds the the Herald mechanic, and The King In Yellow herald is my favorite. The 'blighted' versions of people in the town have a huge impact on the game, and I really like how they impact the game. Since there are many of them, you can't predict how the game will change when the terror level increases. This added more meaning to the terror track for me. Some people don't like the act cards, but I find that they can add a sense of desperation and impending doom to the game. Do you choose to ignore the card, risking the end of the world, or do you pay the cost, knowing that doing so may actually force a confrontation with the Great Old One? Great expansion!

Adding all the expansion does tend to dilute the effect of each expansion, with the exception of the herald mechanic which appears in more than one expansion, and the rift mechanic that was introduced in Kingsport Horror. Depending on what aspects of each expansion you enjoy, this may or may not bother you. I did not find that I missed anything specifically from Curse of the Dark Pharoh, but I didn't really like the exhibit items introduced in that expansion. With all of the expansions in the game, you can play entire games without visiting the Dunwich board due to the small number of Dunwich gates in a HUGE mythos deck, and there are games where you need never visit the Kingsport board, depending on which rift(s) manage to become active, if any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as you...played vanilla to death

just got KiY because it seemed to be hardest to find around here...it has breathed new life.

now, I've been reading all the added mechanics in DH (like the Injury Madness cards) ... WOW! This looks like if I only needed to buy a couple, these two are them...looking fwd to Black Goat though

Kingsport...meh...I can't be convinced another board is better..and CotDP,has really been shadowed by the KiY and HD exps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dip
msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone, this info was very useful:) Further comments are welcomed however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I have a problem/addiction I purchased all of the released expansions even prior to playing the base game. I know, I know, I have a problem, that's why I steer clear of Runebound or games with a ton of expansions cause I'll need to buy all of them.

Anyways, Do you recommend keeping the cards in their respective expansions or seperating them out. I read a comment mentioning keeping Dunwich in with the base. Just curious. Sorry to get off topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofthegrill wrote:
Because I have a problem/addiction I purchased all of the released expansions even prior to playing the base game. I know, I know, I have a problem, that's why I steer clear of Runebound or games with a ton of expansions cause I'll need to buy all of them.

Anyways, Do you recommend keeping the cards in their respective expansions or seperating them out. I read a comment mentioning keeping Dunwich in with the base. Just curious. Sorry to get off topic.

No need to apologize.

I would suggest you first try each expansion by itself with just the base game (or at least only add one at a time). You could add madness/injury cards without using Dunwich too as that is a mechanic that would apply for all expansions.

Even if you are planning on adding all the expansions, no matter what, I would only add one at a time and play a few games with those cards before dumping all of them together. This would also give you an idea of what expansions you like and you can take back out what expansions you don't want to leave in for your "full" games. I use them all and don't find "dilution" a big problem as I'm not a metagamer. I just go with the random flow. I like it that way. I still get games where Dunwich kicks my butt, even with all the expansions (rifts from Kingsport opening in Dunwich and sitting on a vortex spitting out monsters sucks in a hurry).

You need to find your own way to play. I suggest playing a few games with each expansion before moving to another so you can experience more things from each expansion on your way to adding everything together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.