Popular Tags: [View All]
Toby Otero
United States
Monroe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to this FANTASTIC hobby and I was wondering...

What do YOU look for in a GOOD GAME STORE?

I am asking this because I am not fortunate enough to have a game store in town.
I am curious about what I am missing and what do I need to EXPECT
when I come across a store that may or may not be... GOOD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I expect it may be different for different folks.

For me, I look for:

Helpful employees who know games well.
A good level of stock, so they aren't always out of stuff.
Good prices. I don't need them to be super discount, but the farther away they are from on-line, the more painful it is for me to buy local. YMMV, of course - buying from your local store is supporting them and any value they add.
Gaming areas, and hopefully demos. Games to try out would be nice as well.
Clean / well-lit / not smelly or dirty.
Various things you'd like from most any store(available parking, good hours, and so on).

Bonuses for sponsoring tournaments, having booths at cons, and so on.

Depending on what you are into, a game store can be good or bad based on what they carry. Role playing stuff, Collectible card stuff, models, puzzles, kids games, euro games, and so on.

I'm spoiled as there are many game stores withing my reach, and most of them do most of it to my tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned all about how a game store can be not what you're looking for. I went away for work, went to a couple game stores, and all they did was Warhammer 40k and Pokemon/collectible card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

For me, one of the big bonuses of our local store, GMI, is a friendly owner. While she isn't the all-knowing gaming machine one might expect from a game store owner (her husband covers the "all knowing" aspect), she knows enough about the hobby, and keeps an eye on up and coming stuff. More importantly, however, she knows her customers. She greets by name, knows what you play, and will point out new stuff you might be interested in.

She also keeps a want-list index card file for her customers, so when birthdays or holidays, any family member can walk in and say, "I'm looking for a gift for Johnny, he said to come here." Usually she'll know what Johnny wants anyway, but she can always pull out that index card with Johnny's own handwriting on it, and all the stuff he wants, from boardgames, Magic singles, or a particular 40k blister. I personally just like being able to say "I'm registered at GMI."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheap prices.

I don't use game stores as a social hub.

I've been using online stores for a while now. It's not likely that a brick and mortar store will be able to compete in price, so I'll likely stick to online stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:

I don't use game stores as a social hub.

I've been using online stores for a while now. It's not likely that a brick and mortar store will be able to compete in price, so I'll likely stick to online stores.

Far off-topic.

He's not asking people to dredge up the tired arguments again. No offense, but if you don't use local retail stores, then the OP really isn't asking for your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.