Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian G.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Geek has superhuman powers to influence weaker mind's, kind of like a Jedi but more like a Sith.
Well back in the day I LOVED StarCraft the computer game. I studied it, learned many strategies and was always satisfied with its elegance and balance.
So awhile back I was like "Hey StarCraft The Board Game exists."

Then a disaster happened...
The Geek FORCED me to have my friend buy Memoir'44 and I would buy the expansions.
Then SCTBG entered my mind. With my soul churning and swirling, I had to know its quality.

Good reviews and being based on THE GREATEST RTS OF ALL TIME I was ready to buy. Or so I thought. The price tag hit me in the face like Wily Coyote crushed by an anvil, and I'm not inclined to buy a game I don't know enough about. Research was the answer. I have become bent on knowing the game. I have read multiple critical reviews, and session reports.

I took the time to read and understand the HEFTY rulebook. I know how to play. I the taste of game play is on the tip of my tongue. I just feel uninclined to buy it until I have played it once. Or at least had a chance to tangibly hold the components.
I just can't decide if it's worth it.

If I did get it I would be playing up to 1nce a week with my buds of varying quantity usually 3-5. It's StarCraft which makes it extremely desirable for the minis even. If it weren't SC then I would not buy but it is, so I must!?

So BGG has convinced me I think to buy.

I was wondering though does anyone think the price would drop after the expansion came out?
And should I wait till then to weigh the changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ROFL! Nope, it won't drop. The expansion will add some, but you will still require the base game anyways... but its worth every penny of it. There is a horde of figs, a wack load of high qaulity chits, planets etc. + a STACK of cards with a nice linen finish. FFG went all out in designing this game.

You might try trading for it at a local math trade or going to sites like www.bartertown.com and buying it off someone used (if you can find someone willing to part with it). Shipping might be an issue, especially with ebay. its a BIG box.

If your buddy went in on Memiour'44.. why don't you get your group to go in on it and split it? if you have 4 buddies.. i am sure that 20$ a piece to split the game would be well worth it.. the game is just THAT GOOD. So elegant, so much replayability. AGOT is a *similar* game that is much cheaper if the $ bugs you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't wait on an expansion coming out. For all we know, it's still on the drawing board if anything has been done on it at all. I don't expect the price of a new copy to ever drop, though. (Just look at TI3, still about the same price years after its release).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian G.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FINE YOU WIN I WILL BUY THE GAME AFTER I PLAY OUT BREAKOUT:NORMANDY.
If any one will trade for that game that would be great considering its worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're really curious whether you should buy it, check my review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lt Col Lippert 1944 wrote:
FINE YOU WIN I WILL BUY THE GAME AFTER I PLAY OUT BREAKOUT:NORMANDY.
If any one will trade for that game that would be great considering its worth.

BKN is probably worth as much or more than Starcraft, FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian G.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know its worth more so I've decided to buy SCTBG and keep BKN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools
Maybe we should trade?

But, seriously - try and play a game before you buy. I really like most FFG products, and bought this eagerly. It plays fast and has some neat mechanics, but still... it just didn't click for me. This is one I'll probably trade.

Edit: A note on gameplay. It's hard to describe the feeling, but I'll try. After digesting the rules, you'll have a good sense of the mechanics. They're really quite nice. In actual play, however, I would say it feels like a movie without a middle. Or maybe like a movie without the exciting last third? In each of our games, right when it looked like the game was going to get rolling right along, it would end. It felt like being cheated out of the bulk of the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian G.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hence Variants and house rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.