Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiance has moved to go to school and finish her degree. The problem with this is that we used to play games together and now that she lives so far away we can't play our games together. The other problem with this situation is that she does not have Internet access so that dismisses the online versions. She loves Ticket to Ride ,Settlers of Catan, and Puerto Rico and is really interested in Power Grid (As am I). The question is this, since we talk on the phone every day we were hoping to play a game over the phone or through text messaging, what game or games do you recommend? For double points, we are poor students, what print and play games I can make or what games can we buy at $20 or less.

thank you from fellow geeks,

Wes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you have decent internet connections you should look at VASSAL as a way of playing games "live", and also at the various online implementations of games that you can play live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gomez wrote:
Assuming you have decent internet connections you should look at VASSAL as a way of playing games "live", and also at the various online implementations of games that you can play live.

Please re-read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gomez wrote:

I do but she, alas, does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeRevetir wrote:
My fiance has moved to go to school and finish her degree. The problem with this is that we used to play games together and now that she lives so far away we can't play our games together. The other problem with this situation is that she does not have Internet access so that dismisses the online versions. She loves Ticket to Ride ,Settlers of Catan, and Puerto Rico and is really interested in Power Grid (As am I). The question is this, since we talk on the phone every day we were hoping to play a game over the phone or through text messaging, what game or games do you recommend? For double points, we are poor students, what print and play games I can make or what games can we buy at $20 or less.

thank you from fellow geeks,

Wes

Scrabble, boggle, chess,cash & guns

those are a couple... good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gomez wrote:

That's going to be kind of hard to do, considering she doesn't have any internet. This was stated in the original post.

What about PBM instead of PBEM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:

What about PBM instead of PBEM? :p

that would do, we could play by text, but I'm not really familiar with many PBM or PBEM games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeRevetir wrote:
roboman wrote:

What about PBM instead of PBEM?

that would do, we could play by text, but I'm not really familiar with many PBM or PBEM games.

Any game with non-simultaneous action can be played via PBM if you're patient enough laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I needed 3 people to point out my error.

Apologies to the OP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghoulash seems like it would work well. The game's official website has a free basic version you can print out and e-mail to her (so you can play by phone or text), as well as more advanced versions you can buy for cheap.

I know long-distance relationships can be tough. Good luck!

Edit: Add link: http://www.ghoulash.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid all I can offer you is best wishes, good luck, good karma, and a dedication--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting question, Wes. I think this calls for a GeekList.

A few suggestions which you could try:

1-Quarto, DVONN, YINSH and other abstracts which you can annotate the board with numbers and letters.
2-Samurai, though you'd have to have your opponent's pieces face up. Card counters would know which pieces are left in a regular game so I don't see it as a draw back.
3-Hansa would be a very good one, I think. Action points combined with a well-marked board.
4-Street Soccer if you can trust the other person with the die rolls

I hope you find some games that work well and help get you through this time apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico could work, if you both have a copy set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cori Weisbeck
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think Torres would be a great one for this! Super fun and easy for each of you to set up the other's actions-the board is pretty small and the pieces easy. Plus you each have your own deck of cards so no worries about digging through the deck trying to find the card the other person played.

You know, I bet you could manage to do Last Night on Earth. There's two decks (the Zombies and the Heroes) and then you could get friends involved on either end! It would probably help her build some friendships where she is!!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here are some links that should help:

Public Domain games in the advanced search results:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

Web published games in the advanced search results:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

Free Print and Play games geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1567

Games tagged as free pnp:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tag/free+pnp

Retail games that are now free geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20538

Print and Play Podcast geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22682

Canonical Lists of Free Print-and-Play Games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/7603
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing games over the phone will probably put a time limit on the game so I'd suggest Hive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I took a look at my games and I have a couple of ideas. The first is Ubongo Extreme. You would each take half of the game with you. The boards for each player are exactly the same, as are the puzzle pieces. One of you would have to roll the die and announce the value to the other over the phone. Then whoever says that they're done first gets the point. I just got mine for something like $25 at Boards and Bits. A little over your price point, but not a whole lot.

The second idea is Blue Moon. Each of you would have your own deck (or decks). It might actually work pretty well over the phone since you have to announce your power as well as any special text for the cards. You each draw from your own deck, so there wouldn't be any problem there. And it isn't all that expensive. You don't even need to buy the base set with the board and dragons since you'll be playing by phone. Just pick up whatever expansion decks you want for $6 per deck or whatever they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good suggestions. However, I am quite frankly staggeringly curious what college she is going to that does not have Internet access.

Feel free to ignore if that's too personal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Some good suggestions. However, I am quite frankly staggeringly curious what college she is going to that does not have Internet access.

I don't see anything in the OP's post that indicates his fiancee was living on campus.

Of course, this does beg the question - just what curriculum can you survive in 2008, in the western world, without internet access?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
"What'd you go to school for?"

"Oh, I majored in Post-Apocalypse Living."

"And what are you going to do with that?"

"Well, it was kind of a gamble..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't your phone bill be worth getting your girlfriend some Internet access? Then you could voice chat / IM / webcams with Yahoo or Skype and you wouldn't need to use up your minutes at all.

OP hasn't explained *why* his girlfriend can't get Internet access, but it certainly does seem strange that an area would have phone access but not Internet access. Doesn't dial-up still exist?

edit: Games over the phone / text messages seem rather tedious to me. Seems like it'd be hard to get much enjoyment unless you are both diehard addicts and need your fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this day and age, any school probably has internet availability. Honestly, I'd research that angle and find out what the university provides and tap into that.

And then play that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to start by saying Thank you so much for everyone's help on this question.

A couple things I should clarify because it seems that they need clarification.

She does not live on campus therefore doesn't have internet access at the times we would like to play together. Her school does offer internet and she has online courses, but that is in the day and she works during the night so it's only really a late night thing.

We have the same cellphone provider (Verizon) and we take advantage of free in network calling and text messaging, since we both have plans that give this option, so it makes the distance thing a little easier and phone bills a little lighter.

thank you again to everyone helping us out and offering some ideas up, there is really only one joy we would get from life right now and that's our gaming so we wanted to keep it on the table.

edit: and yes I can totally trust her with die rolls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.