Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put together my list of my top 100 games of all time, once again. I'm going to release them in groups of five this year, and using video to talk about them, rather than writing.

The link to my intro is here:
http://www.thedicetower.com/thedicetower/index.php?page=top_...

And the first five, # 100 - # 96 is here:
http://www.thedicetower.com/thedicetower/index.php?page=96-1...

The video is an experiment in making. I'm an extreme amateur, and don't/won't spend the amount of time that Scott puts into his.

Music needs to be softened, I know; and I'll have a slightly tighter frame next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good grief, take it easy with those Big City pieces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sensational, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Please please please... drop the music!

Great video otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a good chance you may fly away with all those hand gestures laugh

What's the release schedule for 95-0? I'm looking forward to seeing what comes in at the top!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure your kid destroyed game 100? Judging by the way you were bashing around the 10 Days In series and the bits from Big City, I think you might be placing blame where it isn't deserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool to see this in video form, I like them very much.

1) yes, please loose the music

2) have somebody next to you so you can hand the games off when done and they can put them away.

Just suggestions, keep em coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another vote to lose the music. Or at least pick something soft and subtle.
I know you have a lot of games to go through, but the 30 second descriptions really didn't make me want to check out any games I wasn't familiar with. I'm not sure if there's a middle ground; a way to give more info on the games while keeping the time down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great Tom! Great to see you in action after listening to hundreds of hours of you talking with no video to accompany it. Looking forward to the next 19 episodes. How often do you figure on putting these out? By the time you get to numbers 5 through 1, your 95-100 games may have changed to completely different titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't lose the music, as it's the Dice Tower's new theme. But I will make it quieter while talking. I'll try to increase light and get a better mike.

I plan to put these all out in the space of a month. I won't promise one every day, but I'll get them out fairly quickly. Now that I have the groundwork done, I'll be able to get the next one done slightly quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Young
United Kingdom
Feltham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Crumpets Buttered and Tea, what more could you ask for in life
badge
Crumpets Buttered and Tea, what more could you ask for in life
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Video Tom

1) Agree 100% Drop the Music
2) How about a download version
3) You should take your podcasts to this medium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Kill the music. It ended halfway through anyway (which sounded odd) and the video was much better for it. Just leave it as a 10 second intro and outro.

Tighten the frame by almost half. You're way too far back.

You're animated style of talking with gestures was very engaging and excellent. Very few pauses and ums. As a video presenter you get the thumbs up from me.

Liked the fact it was short. I can't watch internet videos for prolonged amounts of time.

Overall I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10.

I think these comments are a perfect summary for me as well. Overall... very good. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. I agree with everyone who says to drop the music. It's too distracting. This probably falls under the category of Too Much Work, but I'd love to see a quick cut to a closeup of the components for each game. Otherwise, this is great with the perfect amount of commentary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter F
Sweden
Gothenburg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Video, please drop the music and try to calm down...
Would be interesting to see a live-recording of the Dice Tower with Mr Healy. Weird you look like my brother?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hansen
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good summary. Engaging and helpful. Looking forward to the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom

The music did not bother me all that much and I think that your quick synopsis of each game was just about right. Just enough information to pique the interest of the viewer without going into mind numbing details. Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice video! Looking forward to the rest of the top 100!

Also great to see you moving on screen. I'll have a better understanding now of what your doing when listening to the dice tower. Wow, does Sam ever have to duck when your talking?! Any chances of bringing the dice tower to this format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you have 2 camera angles? Even with a tighter frame, I think it's going to be hard to see anything up close. So maybe you need cut to a second "close up" camera to really show the components. Then you won't strain to put your head over the 10 days board, you just position the board for the second camera.

Also, maybe you should take your hat off (I got the feeling you were about to run out the door).

But overall very good and entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't leave the music running in the background. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's too distracting and most of all - stressful! Keep it for intro and outro though.

I agree with the people asking for a closer POV. Also, if you could just do a few cuts to close ups of the components for each game, it would be great. Do each set like you did now, and then do individual close up shots of crucial components afterwards and edit these into the main footage, but keep the sound from the main footage going. Wouldn't require much more work but would add alot as far as value goes.

Mighty impressed that you did it all in one take without stuttering even once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, Dune is low on the list!

Great idea for a top 100, BTW.

You should do a show on PBS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cher
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with much of what Mr. Skeletor said. You have a very engaging style; I enjoyed listening to you and watching you.

However, I'm guessing that you're turning to video because you want people to have a visual experience of the games. Even with a tighter frame (which is essential), I don't think you can really see the components or the boards. I understand that you don't want to put the amount of time into it that Scott does, but if you can talk someone into helping you out, possibly by zooming in and out occasionally, we could actually see the games.

Personally, I'd like you to spend an extra minute on a description of game play for each one. There wasn't quite enough meat for me to really pique my interest.

Honestly, though, even if you didn't make any improvements, I'd still watch all of them because you're a very good speaker, and I'm interested in what you have to say.

Thank you for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dextraze
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it.
Your style, presence and voice are easy to listen too. The setting was very interesting and all in all I think it was a great start to your video career. I won't bother telling you what to improve or try because you will get a million people that will cover all the points. Looking forward to seeing more of your videos and hopefully they can be longer. Good Luck Tom!

John Dextraze
Canada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic work. Very enjoyable. Loose the background music, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Oh dear, that music is sooooooo annoying angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.