Subject: Is the Solo version possible with the E-Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Solitaire [+] agricola [+] [View All]
Robert Minick
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have been beating my head against the wall trying to complete the first challenge for the solo game. I can consistly score 46/47 points. I have tried many of the occupations and have tried with the Brew Master the most (of course I do spend one action to get it out). The food bonus with that occupation is great and hard to over come. I have tried a few of the minor improvments and usually get the cooking hearth. If any one has some suggestions I would like to hear from ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's definitely possible with just the E deck. I believe my high score is upwards of 75 in E-only solo.

Suggestion: Put the Occupations and Minor Improvements back in the box and focus on the core game. Go ahead and pick your Action Card order if you want to try and get a feel for how that affects things. You can get a score of at least 66 with only the Majors and the basic Actions. And, in my opinion at least, most of the Minors/Occupations don't have much effect on that.

You could also search through the forums here and find a number of example games that spell out the moves. But it sounds like you're keen to figure things out on your own.

edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having similar issues. I'm using the "basic 35" E-cards that Hanno has mentioned before as being considered by UWe to be the core 35. My best score after 6 or so games has been 47. Like oyu, I wonder if the limioted number of occupations I'm using is adding to the difficulty.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets look at "Day Laborer" (when taking 2 food, take also 1 grain {or veggie})

Normal progression (for the 66 point game) if I recall {working from memory}

1: Plough, Grain
2: Plough, Grain
3: Plough, Grain
4: Sow (Grain x3), Fish
Harvest: Eat 4 fish & 2 grain, leaving 1 grain

Now with the Seasona Worker:

1: Occupation (Seasonal Worker), Day Laborer {2 food + 1 grain}
2: Plough, 2 Food + 1 Grain
3: Plough, 2 Food + 1 Grain
4: Plough, Sow {3 grain}
Harvest: Eat 6 food, leaving 3 grain in supply {and a pond full of fish}

You're ahead 2 grains {which you can bake or use as VPs}, a pond of fish for future use and an occupation, one that guarentees access to veggies starting round 6, and that comes with 2 free food to boot.

Look for that kind of thing in the occupations/improvements you get for the solo game. Without competition for resources, you can plan your moves as you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Look for that kind of thing in the occupations/improvements you get for the solo game. Without competition for resources, you can plan your moves as you want.

It's worth pointing out that Seasonal Worker is one of the best, if not the best, solo game Occupations. It pays for itself immediately and leaves you with a number of future bonuses (early veggie access, bonus food w/veggie, extra grain). Most of the other Occupations are much harder to use effectively in the solo game, if they can be used effectively at all. So don't feel like you're stupid if you can't come up with something as good as the Seasonal Worker is here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Graham
United States
Carmichael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one clue to scoring big in the solo game, if you're interested:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Remeber: if you get something to cook animals with early in the game, you can ignore creating pastures early on, and then take and eat the sheep at the harvest round. This is dangerous multi-player, but not single-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has scored 46 points in the 2-player game (and I scored a very respectable 42, so I wasn't slacking either), with the E+Z decks. If it's possible to get that close in a 2-player game, then it certainly is possible to get the extra 4 VP's required for the solo game. Although I haven't tried, you can make actions much more valuable by, say, waiting one round to take the wood so you get 6 (or even 9) wood instead of just 3. Hypothetically, I would think it may be best to plow a field and take an occupation in round 1, and not take wood, because then you can get 6 wood instead for the same price of 1 action. Of course, this comes from someone who has never played solo though yet so take it with a grain of salt.

This much is obvious to me though--it's all about maximizing the return on actions. Actions that accrue bonuses each round should be taken just before they are needed in order to maximize profits. Of course, you can't wait too long before acquiring wood or other required resources... but you don't need to take 3 wood as often as one would in the 2-player game, you can afford to wait a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
waiting one round to take the wood so you get 6 (or even 9) wood instead of just 3

One minor note: in the solo game, the "3 Wood" space is only seeded with 2 wood each round.

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mey-ying Kao
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would say it is definitely possible. On my first couple of tries I didn't manage to get 50 or more points either. But practice makes perfect :P You can try the variant of drawing 10 cards, and discarding 3 so you can keep the cards you like best. This way you have lesser chance of getting cards which are totally random and don't seem to work well with eachother.

tppytel wrote:
It's worth pointing out that Seasonal Worker is one of the best, if not the best, solo game Occupations. It pays for itself immediately and leaves you with a number of future bonuses (early veggie access, bonus food w/veggie, extra grain).

I totally agree on this. This occupation becomes even better with the stonemine? investment, allowing you to take 3 stone as well when you choose daylabourer.

Personally I don't think the brewmaster isn't that good to get food. Because baking bread will give you so much more food for 1 grain. And with the baker occupation you will get to bake bread after the first phase of the harvest (before feeding the family).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Minick
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the encouragment that it is possible. Is the undergardner the same as the seasonal worker occupation? I dont seem to have the seasonal worker in my E deck. Plus my Day Labor action doesnt have the +1 grain. By the sounds of things my deck is incomplete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The seasonal worker is what gives the day labourer action +1 grain (or, turn 6 and later, optionally +1 veggie instead).

Seasonal worker is dominant in solo play because strong solo play generally starts with at least 2, and sometimes 3, 'take grain' actions in the first 3 turns. With Seasonal Worker, you basically get two actions for the price of one (the Day Labourer 2 food, plus the 1 Grain as you'd get taking the Grain action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a 52. The Mendicant really helped me out, as I could forget about producing enough food (2 less) for one harvest and just focus on setting up my engine at the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 1 solo w/ the E only (and a bunch of others w/ the I and K decks together). I managed 56. The card that really came in handy for me was the Mushroom Collecter. It didn't hurt that I also had the Wood Cutter. It was really helpful to get my food from an action that I needed anyway. I was a little slower on grain production (only 2 fields sewn at first harvest) than I would've been w/ Seasonal Worker. I spent the next stage getting my first oven and a 3rd action, then the next stage on the Stone Oven and a 4th action. By then, I had all the food I needed.

On my plays w/ the other decks, I had a brutal combo of Fishing Net (let me claim the food on the fish pond when taking reeds) and one that let me take 2 food when taking reeds (forget the name). One reed action in rd 4 got me the 6 food I needed, which left me free to do a lot of other things. In a later game, I was able to get a gardener (vegetable come from supply in harvest rather than from your fields) and a Schnaps Distillery (turn 1 veg into 4 food at harvest) which was very nice.

The point is that there a lot of great combos for solo player. Some combos only work well in solo (the ones that come w/ claim tokens) as other players will tend to interfere w/ a powerful combo. Put the Fisherman occ in that category (dbl the amount of food when fishing). Just see if your opponents let you get much out of the pond when you play that one.

So you have to evaluate occs and imps differently in solo play. Some that you may not use in multiplayer are exceptional in solo play. Others that are very useful in multiplayer are less good in solo (like ones that get you resources: woodcutter, clay mixer, etc.).

You can really concentrate on getting your fields going early, since you'll be able to reap the benefits of having extra grain w/ baking actions. Building stables and pastures is not that important until later since the animals will effectively "breed" each round on the cards. So you might take some sheep earlier to throw in the pot, but otherwise, let them all grow to the 4pt level and take them w/ 3 actions in rd 14.

As in multiplayer, utilizing the actions for all they offer is important. For example, have a stack of wood and stone ready for the renovate/fences action in the last turn (which is how you'll be able to scoop up the 3 types of animals...).

Getting your people out quickly is pretty critical too. 50 points is a lot to shoot for. You can get half of that w/ 5 peeps in a stone house. Similarly, bonus points and build points are a great way to get over the threshhold.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I got a 52. The Mendicant really helped me out, as I could forget about producing enough food (2 less) for one harvest and just focus on setting up my engine at the start.

Really? Effectively he nets you 1 food (costs one to play, ignore being short by 2) at a cost of an action. You could use day laborer and be 1 food ahead for that action. You're not only taking a begging card for each person are you? It should be each food you're short by (i.e. you would take 6 begging cards in a solo harvest where you had no food and 2 farmers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Jones
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 1 solo series with the E-Deck so far. In the first game, I got 50 pts exactly. I didn't plan it out either, so I was really lucky, I guess. My 2nd game I got 58. My 3rd game I fell back to 54 and had to repeat it. On the next try, I did better, with 63 pts.

Here's how the rest of it went:

Round 4 ... 55 pts (replayed for 63 pts)
Round 5 ... 74 pts
Round 6 ... 63 pts (replayed for 75 pts)
Round 7 ... 93 pts
Round 8 ... 74 pts

93 is my highest score to date. I wish I had kept track of what occupations I had that series. Now I am keeping better records.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 1 solo game so far, but it was with the E-Deck (just the 1+ cards, a random selection of 7 occs and minor imps).

I scored 58 points so it is definately possible. If anything I was slightly dissappointed to do so well on my first attempt.

I did have one question regarding the wood space that is reduced from 3 to 2 wood in the solo game. It was not clear from the rules that the wood still accumulates if not taken in the solo game. I thought it must do or there would be too little wood, but if it is a strict 2 wood only space then this would severely lower scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does accumulate. Even so, wood can be short in the solo game w/ just 28 in the whole game. In theory you can spend 30 wood just building your house up to 5 and slapping down all your fences. Of course the fences are the first to go since you can get your 4 pastures more efficiently, but you still need wood for stables and minor improvements. Wood scarcity was the first hurdle I faced in the solo game. My first games in 2 series saw me keeping an occ that would mitigate the wood shortage. I wish I could've kept an improvement instead. How useful is the axe in solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also found the wood shortage to frequently be one of the bigger limitations to scoring -- if you don't have enough stables and pasture space, you can't max out on the animal scoring. But there are a couple of ways to mitigate this -- either occs/imps that directly save you or get you more wood, or something that helps you get clay and/or stone so you can use these resources to add the last 1 or 2 rooms to your house thereby saving you 5 or 10 wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.