United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,
This is a custom Risk board I created for friend. The actual size is 24.5" x 35." He's going to have it printed out at Kinko's and put it under glass on his coffee table. It needs one final proofing of spelling etc., so if anyone catches anything please let me know.

My friend was looking for a board that had an Old World look and was easier to read the territories, as well as have much more room for playing pieces. He owns a screen-printing company called Home Team, hence the logo. At actual size, it will work great with Attack! playing pieces.

After final proofing, if anyone would like a copy of the file for their own use, just let me know by geekmail or posting here and I'll be happy to e-mail (or geekmail) you a link for download. Cheers!

-Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Custom Old World Large Risk Board
No spelling errors I can see. Have you considered labelling the link between Alaska and Kamchatka- putting 'to Alaska' on the Kamchatka side and 'to Kamchatka' on the Alaska side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Philip,
Thanks for looking it over. I hadn't thought of that, good idea and I'll make a note of it. Thanks!

-Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a copy of that file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
It is a good looking board, well done indeed. The only thing I noticed which struck me as the odd-one out, was the curvature in the text for "indonesia". All other territories (even "central america") have their text on straight lines.

(yesyes a nitpick indeed )

Something I'd like to mention is a personal preference of myself and the people I play Risk with. We have added a sea-link between "eastern australia" and "argentina" to forcedly prevent that well known problem in the Australasia region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Das wrote:
It is a good looking board, well done indeed. The only thing I noticed which struck me as the odd-one out, was the curvature in the text for "indonesia". All other territories (even "central america") have their text on straight lines.

(yesyes a nitpick indeed )

Hello Alfred,
My buddy actually wanted the text that text way so I'll probably leave it alone, but I definitely think your point is valid and I appreciate your keen eye!

Thanks to all for the compliments, I'll be posting an updated version in the next day or two and then it should be about wrapped up. Cheers!

I mentioned the Attack! playing pieces earlier because that's what my friend intends to use. I told him the other day that it could also be cool to do another version of the map with a WWII type of look and background. What do you all think?

-Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Vasstrom
msg tools
Hi Van,

This is a great looking board! Very good job you put into this and a good intitiative alltogether. I would definitely like a copy!

- Morgenthau
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Glennie
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
badge
How Wrin Bu Lai, Whai Wrin Bu Jwo!
mbmbmb
Wow Van! Great job!
I would love a copy please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil squarie
Canada
flag msg tools
WOW... This is awsome...

How would I go about getting a copy of this to print out??

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello folks,
Thanks again to everyone for your great comments, compliments and suggestions. I've been out of action (to say the least) for the past few weeks. You can read more about what's been happening in my life here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/353284

So my apologies for not following up on the final file for this gameboard sooner. I will have it finalized soon and make sure that everyone that has requested it will get a copy.

Again, for anyone that wants the file, simply post here and send me a geekmail with your e-mail address (I promise I won't use your e-mail address for anything else) and I will either e-mail you the file directly or send you a link that you can download it from. Please also thumb this thread (I know it's shamefull to ask, but I just want to keep the thread hot so as to spread the word to folks that will enjoy it).

I'll post again when the file is ready and I start contacting folks. I'm way behind on e-mails and my inbox has gotten pretty deep lately. That way if you don't get contacted please send me a reminder.

Thanks again and best regards to all!

Sincerely,
Van Overbay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piper Kilpatrick
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love the file to this map!!

Thanks so much for the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rutherford
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How interested are you in Same Time Risk, a very interesting part of the PC version, RISK II? The map has new territories which add to the fun. Would you ever consider desinging a similar map with the new territories added (and continent values adjusted)? I know I would love to see it, as I am trying to translate the game to the board. If that doesn't interest you, no worries. Just a thought.

Your board design is excellent by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliments Jonathan.

I'm not familiar with Same Time Risk (plus I'm on a Mac and don't have RISK II). I would be interested in seeing the map if you can point the way or post a snapshot. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Van Overbay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rutherford
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

As you can see from this image, there are six new territories:
Hawaii, Oikiqtaluk, Svalbard, Falkland Islands, Phillipines, and New Zealand. There are also new connection points between territories: Eastern US to Hawaii to Japan; Oikitaluk to Greenland, Quebec, Ontario, and Northwest Territory; Argentina to New Zealand to Eastern Australia; Argentina to Falkland Islands to South Africa; Greenland to Svalbard to Scandinavia; and Japan to Philippines to Indonesia. The values of most of the continents have changed as well: Asia - 8 (same); Europe - 6; North America - 6; Africa - 5; South America - 4; Australia - 4.

I am sure it is a lot of work to design a map like yours, and so I hope I have not offended you in bringing this up. It is truly because of the quality of your work that I mention designing such a map. If you never have the time or motivation to do so, that is perfectly fine. If you'll let me know one way or the other, I would appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Jonathan!
That is very cool. I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to get around to doing a map like this but I am interested and intrigued by the variant. Are there any other rules that differ from standard RISK? Starting number of armies, etc.?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Van Overbay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rutherford
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, there are actually quite a few differing rules. You can download the rules here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/37916/RISK_II_Rul...

I have since made some changes, and I will be posting pictures of the equipment I have made, files to print your own new cards, instructions on how to build your own, and a printable map. I actually have made some slight modifications to an empty map just like the above picture you see, but since I had to blow it up, it is lower quality, and I lack the skills to add anything and make it attractive. That is why your map designing skills interested me. I will post what I have soon (maybe even today), and you can read all other information regarding the game. If you wish to follow the forum I am using detailing my progress, check it out here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/352839
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello folks,
Just wanted to drop you all a note and say that I hope to have the final file ready sometime around the first week of December. As I stated in an earlier reply, unfortunately I had a head-on collision with entropy (more about that here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/357496) so my apologies for the delay.

Quite a few folks have requested the map here and via geekmail so thanks for your compliments and it lifts my spirit to create something that others will enjoy. Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday season!

Sincerely,
Van Overbay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Haynes
msg tools
Awesome Job!

Can I please get a copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello folks,
I have the final version ready to go. I've created a 150dpi high-quality JPG of the image at 100% which is 24.5" x 35". The file size is 4.1mb so it should go through e-mail just fine and be a nice quality for printing full-size on a large-format color printer. As I said before, send me a GeekMail with your e-mail address and I'll happily send anyone the file that wants it (and I promise your e-mail will not be used or distributed for any other purpose). Oh, and I would appreciate it if you give this thread a thumbs-up in return.

I like the adage "Ask and you will receive," so I prefer to distribute it this way. I'll be going back through my GeekMail to find those that have already asked and sent their e-mail address. If you've already sent a request and don't receive the file in the next couple of days, please just send a new request as I may have overlooked the original. Thanks again and hope everyone enjoys the board and has a wonderful and blessed holiday season!

Sincerely,
Van Overbay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Au
Canada
flag msg tools
Wow, that is one beautiful map Van. I was wondering if you would be able to send me a copy. A PM should arrive shortly. Also, I was wondering what your thoughts would be on my modifying it? I will be sure to put your name on it, and it'll probably be nothing but a few cosmetic touches (rips and older paper effect). Thanks very much!

Cheers,

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hakon Johanson
msg tools
Wow, nice work with that Map, I'd love a copy for my in-laws huge dining room table.

thanks, and I did thumbs up this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliments Hakon and Ryan, I hope the map printed out well for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nienke Brandsma
msg tools
Hi, would love a copy of your risk board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njbr wrote:
Hi, would love a copy of your risk board!

Hi Nienke, you should have received it via e-mail. Hope you enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Physcha Saarani
msg tools
Hi Van,

That's definitely great job. Have you finish with the RISK II as suggested? I really appreciate if you could email me the file or the download link. Maybe everybody can repost the pic of your map at their place! Cool eyh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.