StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question concerning reinforcement cards in battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Schlueter
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello,

I've got to a question about reinforcement cards in battle - and something else ;-)

page 30 states that the effect of a reinforcment card remains in effect throughout the battle (if eligibility is checked and the card not discarded).

Well, page 32 states "discard any combat cards played to the resolved skirmish".

So do I discard all combat cards or not? The example on page 30 doesn't clear things up, since in this example a "splash damage" card is used - which is not discarded at the end of a skirmish, as page 32 states.

Another question:
Step 2 of resolving a battle explains who uses "Start of battle" abilities first... but "where" are these abilities? I think that Event and technology cards which you place in your play area show these abilities and that you can use only these. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help,
Bernd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
BerndDui wrote:
Hello,

I've got to a question about reinforcement cards in battle - and something else ;-)

page 30 states that the effect of a reinforcment card remains in effect throughout the battle (if eligibility is checked and the card not discarded).

Well, page 32 states "discard any combat cards played to the resolved skirmish".

So do I discard all combat cards or not? The example on page 30 doesn't clear things up, since in this example a "splash damage" card is used - which is not discarded at the end of a skirmish, as page 32 states.

Discarding the cards doesn't really "end their effect". I think it's mostly just telling you to clean up that skirmish and go to the next one. If there are any lingering effects from the cards played in the skirmish (like splash cards, etc), the effects will still apply.

I think that maybe the best way to think of it is the "general" effect, from page 32, is to "discard the cards". Then Page 30 and the splash damage example give an "exception" to the rule. It's probably not spelled out as clearly as it could, but that's basically what it's saying.

Quote:
Another question:
Step 2 of resolving a battle explains who uses "Start of battle" abilities first... but "where" are these abilities? I think that Event and technology cards which you place in your play area show these abilities and that you can use only these. Is that correct?

To my knowledge, these are the only ways to have the Start of Battle abilities right now: Techs and Events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BerndDui wrote:
Hello,

Are there any non-splash reinforcement cards which aren't skirmish-specific?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to look at the cards, but I think one of the Queen or Defiler cards has an effect that's not skirmish specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.