Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TPOC, I showed up for my normal board gaming night and turned out the great game I was slated to play was not happening. In stead, these two guys, whom I have never met before show up, and they are friends or so with my friend, and so I get roped into trying this game out. Now if you know me, you know that I am a war gamer, and so with that in mind, here is my review.
(Note, I'm doing away with my old style of review, it wouldn't work in this case, and I need a change!)

Let's start with how the game plays. Since this was a play test, I did not get to read over the rules, or can not really critic the components because there is nothing that can really be criticed fairly. You can judge the art for yourself, it's decent.

The rules, even though not printed out are simple enough. There is a mat, which shows the area in which the cannibals live. There is a mountain (for worship), a farm field (for farming), a training grounds (for learning how to hurt people), a village (to become more cultured), a sea (to recieve foriegn trade), and a moment (something or other). These are all associated with a color. I can't remember them all @ the moment, but it matters little which color each is specifically. There is also a pot for cooking people.

There is a deck of cards, which has an equal amount of cards of each color. Yaah....

There are tiles which represent people, 3 of each, besides a special cook tile, and 3 chiefs tile in each color. Each normal tile has a main color and a secondary color (with 3 of each color, so 3 gray/yellow 3 gray/blue and so on). These normal tiles represent the tribes members your trying to influence. Oh I guess I should reveal what the game is about:

The head chief of the tribe is dead (most likely eaten) and now all of the players are young hot shot to be chiefs. You are trying to influence the village into making you the next chief. Who ever gets the most influence (people aka tiles) behind them, is chief, and the rest get eaten in celebration.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way, lets get on with it.

After a set up, each player takes turns doing 1 action, which can, if I get all this right be one of the following:

Draw a card and a tile: (you must do both), the tile goes on the board some where it belongs. (a gray/blue goes in the gray second). You can have a max of 6 cards in hand. You may not do this action if you can't draw a card.

Play a card into your platform: Each player has a platform, max size 6. Each platform is a set of there cards. The color of the cards describe what influence you have among the voters. When you play a card, if you now have 8, you discard one. Otherwise, simply add it to your platform.

Play a secret card: Simple enough, play a card face down, this is part of your platform, and is secret. You may only do this action once per game, so you can never get rid of your secret card. This card does NOT count against the 7 cards in your platform (so you can have a total of 8).

Play a card into your platform and discard a matching color to force a player adjacent to you to discard a card of the matching color from their platform. They may immediately replace it by playing a card from their hand of a different color than the one discarded.

Discard a card to eat a person (tile) in the pot, or put a person their. A person eaten, can either be removed from game, or discarded back to the draw bag. There can only be 4 people in the pot at any time.

Thats pretty much it. If your not drawing a card, your playing one. Once the deck of cards runs out, that's it game over, count score. A few tiles are special, I'll not tell you what they do (not a crazy lot) just to leave a little mystery! There are a lot more tiles than cards, making sure they game is varied enough.

Score is easy. For each tile decide who gets it, the players compare their platform to the color of the tile. Since there are two colors, you need at least two colors in your platform. If only one player has two colors, they get it. If not, and you have the main color, you get it if you have the most. If two or more players have both colors of the tile, the person with the most total gets it. If there is a tie, the most of the main color. (So a red/gray tile, if two players both had a total of 5 cards, but one had 3 red and the other 2, then the 3 gets the tile.)
When all the tiles are sorted, most tiles wins. EASY!

After learning the rules (5 min or so, but I was always a fast learner of rules) the game is quick. It took us 15 min. Apparently this was quick though, and it is possible to take much more time. Probably 45 min or so.

So how is it? Fast, and decently fun. Not necessarily my type of game, but worth playing. There are different routes people can go, our game was mostly about attacking other people's platforms, while apparently the previous game was all about eating people. You could also just play nice, but that would be sooooo boring. Its crucial to have a mix of colors but to dominate in the big color (a lot of gray? have lots of gray). Paying attention to whats out is the key.

Its a simple game however, but I could see people taking for ever playing it. SEJTroll!. Anyhoo that's about it, not much really to say. I would say if you want a nice fast light game then get this one, once it comes out, it's decently fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who read the title and read "The Politics of Cannabis"? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Am I the only one who read the title and read "The Politics of Cannabis"? laugh

jes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.