Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to be able to search games that will play a specific number of players. For example, if I have 4 people over, I'd like to be able to search my collection and get a list of all games that would play 4 players. This would include all games that play 2-4, 3-5, 3-4, 4-10, etc.

Is that functionality anyone else would use? (Or is there a way to do it that I'm completely missing?)

Thanks to all for a spectacular site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next to the search box at the top of the page is a link for "Adv. Game Search". Click that and you will be given many options for a much refined search. One of those options is the # of players. You can also specify that it only searches your collection, or someone else you know on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhshaw22 wrote:
Next to the search box at the top of the page is a link for "Adv. Game Search". Click that and you will be given many options for a much refined search. One of those options is the # of players. You can also specify that it only searches your collection, or someone else you know on BGG.

There is only a selection for range of number of players. So if I put in minimum 2 and maximum 4, it will return only games that play 2-4 players, and I miss games that will play 3-5. If I put in just a minimum number of players (e.g. 3), it will return games that play a minimum of 3 players, and it will leave out games that may require 2, but can play 3. Likewise with the maximum.

An example. I have 3 players. If I plug in 2 minimum, 4 maximum, I will get results like Goa, Blokus, etc., but I will fail to get Princes of Florence, Cutthroat Caverns, etc. because those games don't fit the range requested. If I use 3 players as a minimum, I get results like Cutthroat Caverns, Princes of Florence, Betrayal at House on the Hill, but I fail to see anything like Goa and Blokus.

So that's what I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it doesn't work if you put the player range at only a single number of players (4-4 or 5-5).

For examples, say you want to find a 5 player game.

If you put in player range of 5-5, rating 7-10 with user votes of 1000, it doesn't come up with El Grande or Santiago (or, in fact, anything at all). Bizarrely, if you knock down the number of user votes to 10, it comes up with Celebrities which has a listed player range of 6.

If you put in a range of 4-5 players, it works. It comes up with El Grande (2-5) and Santiago (3-5).

And Jason, maybe they fixed it right after you posted but it also comes up with Princes of Florence (2-5) and Power Grid (2-6).

If I change user rating range to 6-10 and votes to 400, it comes up with Cutthroat Caverns (3-6).

But it won't come up with any games that only support 5 or more players so you have to either widen the player range or change 5 to the low end of the range and the upper end to 6 or more.

Not really all that useful when all you want to know is which games meet those criteria and support 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also mention that before I updated everything to BGG, I had a heavily modified copy of the database from The Spiel. 2 of the fields in the "games" table were minimum (MIN) and maximum (MAX) number of players. One of my additions was a query, "Games By Player." When you ran the report based on that query, it asked how many players were present (#), then basically filtered the database to games where MIN was less than or equal to # and MAX was greater than or equal to #. This would give me a list of all games in my database that would play that number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oberjt wrote:
If I use 3 players as a minimum, I get results like Cutthroat Caverns, Princes of Florence, Betrayal at House on the Hill, but I fail to see anything like Goa and Blokus.

Works for me, Goa on page 90, Blokus on page 27. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

All I did was Advanced Search, Player Range 3 in the left box, the right side empty, hit search. Looks like you had something else in your search that caused them not to appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how it appears to work:

If you put two different numbers in the boxes (example: low=2, high=3) it finds all games that support 2 player and 3 players but not games that support only 2 players or only 3 players.

If you put the same two numbers in the boxes (example: low=2, high=2) it finds all games that support only 2 players but not games that support 2 or more.

If you put one number in and leave the other number blank (example: low=2, high=[left blank]) it finds all games that support 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
If you put two different numbers in the boxes (example: low=2, high=3) it finds all games that support 2 player and 3 players but not games that support only 2 players or only 3 players.

Yes, it works exactly as it's supposed to. Each item you add or click is a further condition, something else that must be true in order for the game to show in the list.

Click comedy then search, you get a large list of comedy games.
Click comedy and publication year of 1999, you get a smaller list of comedy games from 1999.
Click comedy, 1999 and rating of 7, you get an even smaller list of 1999 comedy games that are rated 7...

By filling in 2 and 3, you're asking for games which can both be played for 2 players and by 3 players. Which rightfully excludes 2 player only games, as they can't be played by 3.

Put 2 only, and you're asking for any game which can handle 2 players, which will be 2 players only, 2-3, 2-4 ... 2-10, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
EvanMinn wrote:

Yes, it works exactly as it's supposed to. Each item you add or click is a further condition, something else that must be true in order for the game to show in the list.

Click comedy then search, you get a large list of comedy games.
Click comedy and publication year of 1999, you get a smaller list of comedy games from 1999.
Click comedy, 1999 and rating of 7, you get an even smaller list of 1999 comedy games that are rated 7...

By filling in 2 and 3, you're asking for games which can both be played for 2 players and by 3 players. Which rightfully excludes 2 player only games, as they can't be played by 3.

Put 2 only, and you're asking for any game which can handle 2 players, which will be 2 players only, 2-3, 2-4 ... 2-10, and so on.

Your examples of comedy, 1999, etc. don't really apply since they each search a different field.

The way the 'range of players' works is not really all that intuitive since the drop-down boxes are a hard limit if both boxes are the same but not if you put two different numbers.

When the number is the same, the boxes mean 'minimum' and 'maximum' but if the numbers are different they mean 'support this number' and 'support this number' (and everything in between) but also will return games that support a number of players less than left number and/or more than the right number. They no longer mean 'minimum' and 'maximum' if you change them from two numbers the same to two different numbers.

Changing meanings depending on what the variables are makes it non-intuitive. People generally don't expect the meaning of drop-down boxes to change depending on what they choose.

It's fine that it works that way but there should be something on the page that let's users know how they work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.