Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Jensen
Denmark
Stenlose
Sealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd try my hand at playing some VS.
I found a place where I could get a booster display (each) of
Justice league, Web of Spiderman and Superman Man of Steel.

How many of these should I get?
Would it be sufficient to build enough decks for two/three people to enjoy both playing and building decks with?
Is one or the other "better"?
In order of "fun", which of these would you recommend?

Thanks for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dair Grant
United States
Martinsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vs. is a great game and I do recommend it. If you are just playing casually, a booster box of a set will give you a good number of commons, and a fair number of uncommons. You could get an overpowered rare or two and you might not want to use them for competitive balance. Two boxes of a set and I think you would be good to go. You can always fill in random rares you want online, and pretty cheaply also.

As far as the sets are concerned, I recommend you don't buy Web of Spiderman. This set was by far the worst they produced, and unless you are a big webhead, skip it. (This coming from a guy that play a Spiderman deck at a Pro Circuit Championship in Amsterdam. It was okay, but not fun). Justice League is my personal favorite of the three you list, and Superman Man of Steel is a distant second. I would recommend buying multiple Justice League if possible, and then if you feel you lack variety, look to add another set. By then, perhaps you can get one of the other later sets that were much stronger. (Web and Steel were the 3rd and 4th sets, and lacked the dynamic play aspects of the later sets.)

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, understand that for the most part the cards from one set don't do a lot to help cards from another set. If you plan to only get a certain number of boxes, you're probably best off focussing on one set. I'd choose Justice League simply because I'm more personally interested in the teams represented in that set. Those other two sets though can be purchased very cheaply (because they are less popular, mostly due to them being older and the teams within them have been re-done) so if $$$ is an issue, you might consider them. Then again, maybe Justice League prices have dropped since last I checked.

As an aside, I'd invite you to to set up the Lackey CCG Platform which is totally free. With it, you can play many CCGs online, including VS. Even if you don't think you and your friends would be interested in playing online, you can still use the software to see exactly what's included in every set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Jensen
Denmark
Stenlose
Sealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both very much.

I'm in the process of ordering other games from Hill's Wholesale, and I notice they have several deals on VS cards.
Could I persuade someone to check out http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/vssystem/ and give recommendations on what would make a good one-time purchase, which would be sufficient to play the game as it should be played?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think's that where I last bought cards...

OK, one option would be to get all of the various starter sets. I'd vote against that though because you may eventually find it unsatisfying. It's sort of like the decks were made for a 'basic' game and you have to get more cards for an 'advanced' game. They ARE starter sets, so it's easier to teach if you avoid using certain cards, right?

Another thing to keep in mind is that many of the sets introduced one or two minor rules. Finding the rules for these sets is very easy, but just keep in mind that the more sets you throw together, the more odds and ends rules you'll have to learn. For example, the Spiderman set introduced a power called Evasion. Superman introduced Cosmic. Assuming you know the regular rules, it's really hard to add these extra bits.

I'd dodge the lots where you get a mixed assortment of boxes. I think you'll have a harder time making consistent decks.

OK, here are your least expensive sets :

15 : DC Origins (Teen Titans, League of Assassins, Gotham Knights, Fearsome Five, Arkham Inmates)
15 : Marvel Origins (X-Men, Brotherhood, Fantasic Four, Doom, Sentinels)
12 : Marvel Knights (X-Statix, Underworld, Marvel Knights, Crime Lords)
10 : Superman (Team Superman, Revenge Squad, New Gods, Darkseid's Elite)
9 : Spiderman (Spider-Friends, Sinister Syndicate)

I recently bought two or three boxes of Superman and I think I made 8 decks out of them. You need to see which teams are in these different sets so you can figure out who'll be fun for you. I didn't buy any Marvel Knights, for example, because none of the teams in that set interested me. The two Origins sets are your two 'base' sets. I believe they have more different cards in the set. And Spiderman was a smaller set. So to make decks you'd probably buy more of Origins and less of Spidey. ALL of these boxes are less expensive because they've rotated out of the tourney scene for the most part. *I* couldn't care less about that, but some people might.

Do you have any favorite teams or characters? Do you have any that you just hate? I could tell you which sets they're in.

Also, I'd again point to the Lackey CCG Platform as a useful tool. I would be happy to play with you and teach you how to play VS. You can even test drive some pre-built decks to see how the teams vary. My only requirement for teaching is that you have to have either AIM or MSN so I can make an audio connection to you and you need speakers so you can hear me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.