Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simone Fantini
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An exellent page added to the rulebook clarify that it is possible cross a major river and end the movement in a enemy ZOC (of course the starting ex from the starting side of the river must be out of enemy ZOC).
The rule state tht it is the only kind of "one-movement ex" allowed.
Now the question: is it possible to do the opposite movement ? I means to live an enemy ZOC crossing a major river spending all the movement ?
tks

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simonluca wrote:
An exellent page added to the rulebook clarify that it is possible cross a major river and end the movement in a enemy ZOC (of course the starting ex from the starting side of the river must be out of enemy ZOC).
The rule state tht it is the only kind of "one-movement ex" allowed.
Now the question: is it possible to do the opposite movement ? I means to live an enemy ZOC crossing a major river spending all the movement ?
tks

Simon

I don't understand your question. We did have a recent discussion about rivers here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/335481

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon, I understand what you are saying. The key is in the rule section:

"Major River Hexsides: Crossing a major river hexside is not
allowed if the hexes on each side of the river (the hex in which the
unit starts and the one it wants to enter) are in enemy ZOCs, even
if the river hexside is a bridged hexside, and even if there are
friendly units in the enemy ZOCs."

Crossing a Major River from one adjacent hex to the other side is only prohibited if BOTH hexes have enemy ZOCs. Therefore, you can leave a hex in enemy ZOC by crossing a Major River, if and only if the hex you are moving to is free of enemy ZOCs.

Hope that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simonluca (with some edits for clarity) wrote:
An excellent page added to the rulebook clarifies that it is possible to cross a major river and end the movement in an enemy ZOC (of course the starting hex from the starting side of the river must be out of enemy ZOC).
The rule states that it is the only kind of "one-hex movement" allowed.
Now the question: is it possible to do the opposite movement? I mean to leave an enemy ZOC crossing a major river spending all the movement?

This came up in a PBEM game I played; the situation was something like this:

The Soviet INF was activated, but being isolated, only had 2MF, not enough to leave ZOC to the NE (on the same side of the river), which would have cost 3MF. But thanks to the rule about one-hex moves across major rivers, the INF was able to cross the river and escape to the E or SE (the green ticks). Two things seem odd about this (neither of which prevented me as the Soviet player from taking advantage of it ):
the unit could cross a major river but not move the same distance on dry land (i.e. could move one hex E or SE, but not one hex NE); I know I was in the Navy and not the Army, but surely crossing a river is about the worst thing (tactically speaking) a unit can do?
the unit would not have been able to cross the river had it been minor (surely it's harder to cross a major river than a minor one?)

I know no game can accurately simulate every real-life situation, but this one seems particularly "gamey". Maybe a good house rule (or erratum if the designer agrees) would that be such a move is only allowed if the unit has enough MF to make the same move across a non-river hexside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it would be gamey, but by strict interpretation of the rules, the only move by the Isolated unit would be across the Major River out of the enemy ZOC using its "entire movement allowance" as per the TEC. Gamey because the 3 MP move to the NE would violate rule 8.1.2 - "A unit cannot enter a hex if it has insufficient MPs remaining." Of course, just look at the entire simplistic nature of the rules, you will see this is more a game than a simulation... there is really no way to recreate history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmb
The rationale would be that's it far more likely for a local*) commander to get his units and retreat back over the river into a safe&supplied environment, than start plodding around without supplies on the wrong side of the river.
Or something similar.

Can't help you with the minor/major river paradox though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
The rationale would be that's it far more likely for a local*) commander to get his units and retreat back over the river into a safe&supplied environment, than start plodding around without supplies on the wrong side of the river.
Or something similar.

Assuming the far bank is in supply and the near bank is not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Fantini
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tks Greg !!

ciao

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.