Subject: Puzzle for Jim rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Overmind is about to achieve her special victory condition, 3 bases on 3 different worlds! As Jim Raynor, you must stop her by destroying her outpost on Dylar IV.

Planet Configuration:

PrideWater to Victor 5
Victor 5 to Dylar IV
Pridwater Z-Axis Route to Dylar IV

Transports for Jim Raynor exists between:
Pridewater and Victor 5
Victor 5 and Dylar IV

Overmind:

Base on Dylar IV with the following 3 units defending it on a 3 population terriroty:
1 Mutalisk
1 Gaurdian
1 Scourge

The Cards available to the Overmind are:
7/7 - Mutalisk - w/ ground splash vs. marines
8/8 - Gaurdian
*/9 - Scourge Card

Jim Raynor - Blue Terran (you!):

2 orders left to place.

Resources: 3 crystal, 1 gas

3 workers left in worker pool.

Buildings are:
Barracks lvl 3
Space dock lvl 1
Factory lvl 2
Modules are:
1 Support Module
1 Research Module
1 Air Defense Module

The following combat cards are avialable (assume that anything else you might draw is non-usable)
0/6 - Ghost - Nuke
7/8 - Goliath, Siege Tank
5/5 - Marine, Firebat
6/4 - Marine, Firebat, Ghost
6/7 - Wraith, Goliath +1 vs Flying

Bases:
1 Base on Pridewater

Troops On Pridewater:
1 Marine

Troops On Victor 5:
Goliath
Marine

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution!

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Solutions 1:
Mobilize on Victor 5
Gold Mobilize on Dylar IV
Mobilize Marine from Pridewater to Victor 5
Moblize 2 Marines and Goliath to Dylar IV

Pair:
Goliath vs. the Mutalisk
- 7/7 Mutalisk splash vs. 7/8 Goliath +1 for Gold Mobilize, no splash is triggered

Marine vs. Gaurdian -
- 8/8 Gaurdian vs. 7/4 minor values of Nuke + 1 for Gold Mobilize results in mutual destruction.

Marine vs. Scourge -
- Doesn't matter what happens, scourge dies at the end of combat if it is a front line unit!

Solution 2:
Gold Build on Pridewater
Mobilize on Dylar IV

Build a Ghost using the Gold Build order to recieve an extra Gas.
Build a Transport between Pridewater Dylar IV on the Z-Axis route.

Moblize Ghost to Dylar IV.

Pair:
Ghost vs. Scourge:
- 0/6 Nuke vs */9 Scourge, scourge is removed during the destory unit step and since the ghost survives this step, it triggers the nuke to remove the Gaurdian and the Mutalisk.

There might be other solutions, but this was what I had in mind :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solution 1 is good.

For solution 2, if I was the Zerg player I would play anything but a scourge card for my front-line scourge - even blind-playing from the top of the draw deck if I had to. I might get one of the 1/6 minor health value cards!

So for the sake of completeness, for Solution 1, play the 6/4 marine card to the skirmish with the scourge, just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solution 3 (which doesn't require the marine on Pridewater):

2 mobolises on Dylar IV. Make sure you stack them in the correct order!

A)
1st battle: Golden mobolise.
Marine 7/4 (nuke minor values) vs Guardian
Goliath 7/8 vs Mutalisk
Scourge supports anywhere.

Scourge and Goliath left standing. Goliath retreats.

2nd battle: Normal mobolise.
Goliath 6/7 vs Scourge

Win.

Cons: if Zerg has a Swarm reinforcement card in his hand initially, the Scourge will support Mutalisk vs Goliath in the 1st battle and kill off the Goliath.

B)
1st battle: Golden mobolise.
Marine 7/4 (nuke minor values) vs Guardian
Goliath 6/7 vs Scourge
Mutalisk supports anywhere.

Mutalisk and Goliath left standing. Goliath retreats.

2nd battle: Normal mobolise.
Goliath 7/8 vs Mutalisk

Win.

Cons: Zerg has 2 more chances than (A) to improve his mutalisk to a 8/7 card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Intersting what is for a 3 solution. Too bad that I didn't provide enough combat cards for the overmind :) It would have left for more variability in solutions.

As for your comments on solution 2, I agree. When faced with a similar situation, you wouldn't want to be using a */9 Scourge card. But that is part of the puzzle :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwdalrymple wrote:

Intersting what is for a 3 solution. Too bad that I didn't provide enough combat cards for the overmind :) It would have left for more variability in solutions.

As for your comments on solution 2, I agree. When faced with a similar situation, you wouldn't want to be using a */9 Scourge card. But that is part of the puzzle :)

Matt, for your solution 2, if you mobilize a single ghost onto Dylar IV, the Zerg player will play his 7/7 mutalisk card for his front-line scourge. Thus, the resolution of the skirmish is that nothing dies. Then, during the resolution of the Nuke splash, he destroys scourge + mutalisk. The guardian survives, your ghost has to retreat, and you lose. This is even if you disallow mumushanshi's point of blind-drawing from the deck.

Would like to point out that simple modifications would allow you to use that solution. With your gold build, you can also build 1 additional marine. Then, when you mobilize, bring along ghost + 2 marines from Pridewater, AND the goliath and 1 marine from Vyctor V. Remember, when mobilizing, you are not restricted to troops from only one planet!

There are now many many ways to win - for example:
a) Line the ghost up against the scourge, and use the nuke card. 7/8 Goliath with 2 marines supporting faces mutalisk. Lone 5/5 marine faces guardian. The mutalisk is killed by the goliath, and the scourge+guardian fall to the nuke.
b) 7/8 Goliath faces 7/7 mutalisk (mutalisk dies, goliath lives). 3 marines face the guardian, utilising the nuke minor values of 7/4 (guardian dies, front marine dies). 6/4 Ghost faces the scourge (scourge dies).

In fact, we are able to win without utilising the nuke card! Gold build on Pridewater - (build goliath + transport), then normal mobilize on Dylar IV (bring 2 goliaths + 2 marines). Match-up:
- 7/8 Goliath faces 7/7 mutalisk (Mutalisk dies)
- 6/7 Goliath with 1 marine support faces 8/8 guardian. Our strength is 6 + 1(vs flying) + 1(marine) = 8. Result: Guardian dies, Goliath dies, Marine survives.
- 6/4 Marine faces scourge (Scourge dies).

We occupy the Zerg base with 3 units!

Keep the puzzles coming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NtNScissors wrote:

In fact, we are able to win without utilising the nuke card! Gold build on Pridewater - (build goliath + transport), then normal mobilize on Dylar IV (bring 2 goliaths + 2 marines). Match-up:
- 7/8 Goliath faces 7/7 mutalisk (Mutalisk dies)
- 6/7 Goliath with 1 marine support faces 8/8 guardian. Our strength is 6 + 1(vs flying) + 1(marine) = 8. Result: Guardian dies, Goliath dies, Marine survives.
- 6/4 Marine faces scourge (Scourge dies).

We occupy the Zerg base with 3 units!

Actually, that's dumb. Instead of building a goliath, build a wraith. Then, for the second skirmish:
- 6/7 Wraith with 1 marine support faces 8/8 guardian. Our strength is 6 + 1(vs flying) + 1(marine) = 8. Zerg has sufficient strength, but cannot target the wraith so the supporting ground unit is killed. Result: Guardian dies, Marine dies, Wraith survives.

So instead of Goliath + 2 marines surviving, we now have Goliath + wraith + marine. Much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool solutions! I will have to come up with a new and more challenging puzzle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.