Stone Age» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Wine, Cheese and Stone Age rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nasia Alevizos
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
I spent yesterday evening at a friends place for a wine and cheese evening followed by trying out my brand new game Stone Age.

The food was excellent and the wine had gone to our heads by the time the game was brought out and three of us sat down to play. Naturally everyones first impressions revolved around how beautiful the board and pieces are as well as how neat the leather cup is.

Once we had finished owing and ahing I explained the rules and we settled down to play. As a group new to this game (and slightly tipsy as well) no one focused exclusively on one coherent strategy or another. However one player did spend a lot of time in the Hut expanding his tribe (before he realized that he didn't have the food production to support them), while the other player focused on tools and getting her food production up high. I focused on the huts and hut builders with a few tools and green cards on the side.

By the end of the game everyone had some tools, a few green cards, at least 4 huts and sand coloured cards of at least two types. Miraculously no one had gotten any wine or food on my shiny new game either.

In the end I won by a large margin. I do think it is a game that rewards a more focused strategy than the try a little bit of everything that we were doing. We all enjoyed it immensely and I cant wait to try playing it again now that I know how it works.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it does reward a focused strategy, especially when it comes to the civilization cards. This is what separates the men from the boys. It is fairly simple to assign workers to collect resources, and even purchase huts (buildings). But the real rewards come at the end of the game when the civ cards are figured in to the final score. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Tunstall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coincidentally I played the game for the first time with my daughter this morning and our experience was pretty much the same as yours. Minus the wine and cheese unfortunately, but then she is only 9. In the end I won by a huge margin as I concentrated on civilization cards while she spent round after round sending out huge hunting parties. I think by the end she realised I wasn't trying to trick her when I pointed to her huge food stockpile and told her she was wasting her time hunting! But we both enjoyed working out how to play and we're looking forward to our first "proper" game soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.