Supernova» Forums » General

Subject: SUPERNOVA the board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Stevens
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I tried out an up and coming board game called supernova, and it proved to be surprisingly fun with versatile strategies for winning. It's a game of galactic re-colonisation as various races escape a solar system whose star is on the verge of going nova, players take turns exploring and colonising neighboring moons and planets which give them resource points which can be spent on technologies or saved for bonus points at the end of the game. It has a decidedly Euro Game feel, but with the option to instigate conflict against any opponent at any time. Victory is point based, determined by number of spaces+moons+planets owned+unspent resources. Combat is card based, which makes it more predictable and hence gives the attacker an advantage, and can prove lucrative or a waste of movement that could be spent expanding for free. The fun part is that there are 3 or more occasions in the game that the center of the board explodes out and players bid for control over the direction in which it explodes, thereby protecting one's own planets and diminishing rivals control. There is an option for a short or a long game, the main difference (other than time)being that the short game engenders more conflict right away.
My friends and I had the priviledge of playing with the designer of the game, and it was loads of fun: we played twice that evening.
The retail price was $70 which I thought was a bit steep when compared to the quality game pieces you get with other $70-$75 games: this game was very good quality card and plasticard board and pieces, but no miniatures, or wood bits to add that bit of extra flavor that I love. I would easily pay $50 for it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
?

Wow. Kinda harsh, no? I requested that the people I taught went onto the 'geek to post their thoughts on the game. I didn't ask them to post anything positive, just their impressions. Not all players had been to the BGG site before so I wrote it down for them.

It so happens that I'm going to play it again today with some other people who've never played it and aren't BGG members.. I suppose you don't want to hear from them either? You'll notice Jonathan didn't actually rate the game, just posted his impressions. Put away your jump-to-conclusions mat, Jason.

Thanks very much for the post, Jon! I enjoyed playing with you at Gencon.

Oliver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this warranted a reply from the designer, but the OP clearly stated that $70 would be too much for him. That certainly doesn't seem like schilling.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the reply wasn't necessary, but then again it was nice seeing the context...

I also agree that the impressions weren't fully positive (at least on the price), so this doesn't come across as shilling to me.

Anyway, this is my MOST anticipated game release (have the pre-order, can I at least get a t-shirt ), so any info on it is appreciated.

Cheers!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed that a block of unformatted text from a brand new user was shilling. I see that I jumped the gun this time. Either way, it got me looking at Supernova.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
I assumed that a block of unformatted text from a brand new user was shilling. I see that I jumped the gun this time. Either way, it got me looking at Supernova.

Heh. Well I suppose in this case, hooray! laugh

No harm, no foul.

edit: Incidentally, Mr. Bunny posted some pics over the weekend of the game that we played. It was great fun. I came in 4th of 5 (as per the usual, it seems.. ) and Mr Bunny unfortunately came in dead last. As an fyi, he also had managed to increase his shields to level 5 (that rarely happens) and it still didn't enable him to eke out a higher finish. I was surprised by that. The winner (the Botra, green) more or less employed a consistent strategy which involved always taking away my moons and planets. Grr.

Oliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garett Brett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hehe, I was the Botra (I only barely won though...)

I will have to take a look at these pics too :) then post my own review that... may or may not net me some Austrian currency on the back of a baseball jersey... yuck.

- dut

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought he meant it was published by MMP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjami Pitarch
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm, I´m very interested in this game since the first pics I saw. The theme and that abstract looking is very apealing to me, but it just hit my usual retailer at a 55€ price. With almost no review and the price of 2 normal games for me, I´m still hesitant. I wish I could play it before buying, but from Spain, that seems dificult (I didn´t manage to get to Essen :S)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.