United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb

Bathtub rubber ducky racing has long been a popular sport. Every year rubber duckies from all walks of life train in bathtubs, spas and small ponds around the world to prepare for the annual Kenducky Derby, the premier bathtub ducky race.

In this contest you will solve a ducky race puzzle following the rules of APE Games' new release, "duck! duck! Go!" As you will need to familiarize yourself with the rules in order to solve the puzzle, the rules are available here: http://www.apegames.com/duck/duckduckgo.html

There will be two puzzles in this contest. The first puzzle will run from August 22nd through August 28th. The second puzzle will be posted on August 29th and will run through September 4th. Contestants will receive 1 entry just for attempting an answer, and 5 points for correctly solving the puzzle. There will be five winners picked for each puzzle for a total of 10 winners which will each receive a free copy of “Duck! Duck! Go!” All 10 winners will be announced on September 5th.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/contest/duck2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldyn Gryphon
United States
Mesquite
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey first one here. I looked for this several times yesterday and now my persistance has paid off. Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More ducks! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldyn Gryphon
United States
Mesquite
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two for two on these contests all those years of battletech are paying off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, solved correctly too. Fun contest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool game.

I got to get a copy -- uh, it's for the kids, really
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the multiple solutions issue fixed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
Lou-Dawg wrote:
Was the multiple solutions issue fixed?

No. Not sure if the first one had more then one solution or not, but this one sure does.

From the rule book:

Moving into a start space

Quote:
Once the game begins, the start spaces on the board become short-cuts, teleporting your ducky from one to another.

If your ducky moves into one of these spaces, pick it up and place it in any empty start space you wish; you may choose to put it back in the same space. Choose which way it faces.

Once you've chosen a start space and facing for your ducky, it's move is over, even if it hadn't completed the movement on it's card.

Emphasis mine. Since you can move into (not end on, just move into) a start space and then chose to put it back into that same start space and pick it's facing, there are two cards that are interchangeable for that move. Either one can then be used on the final drain move as well.

A little bummed I missed the extra chances, but I'm sure I'll pull through. Thanks for the puzzles and the chance to win your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun puzzle! Still expecting a duck! duck! go! Tanga puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What the heck, I can solve this in 2 turns - 3 cards. Does that count? I assume not since they want you to use all 5 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
What the heck, I can solve this in 2 turns - 3 cards. Does that count? I assume not since they want you to use all 5 cards.

I've been thinking the exact same thing... I think it's easier than using all 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DaJackel wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I've been thinking the exact same thing... I think it's easier than using all 5

Well i just figured out with 5 cards / 3 turns. Seems more elegant my way with only 3 cards in 2 turns - you end exactly on the drain.

Are people finding 2 ways to do it with 5 cards? I would like to know before I submit this answer if it is not the "most correct."

EDIT:
Never mind. Just found a THIRD solution to this problem. This way uses all 5 cards, all 3 turns, and "elegantly" ends exactly on the drain. So I guess this is the correct answer.

EDIT 2:
Yes, this was the correct way...

Cool game. The first time one of these contests actually worked as intended - introduce me to a game I never heard of and make me actually want to get it. Well, i guess getting it remains to be seen. But still a well earned contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

That's the solution I went with, and it was "wrong". I was annoyed by that. Seems like they could have done a better job designing the puzzles if they were only going to accept one answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through this pretty systematically, and I only find one solution. (Which I entered and was told it's correct.)

Yes there are ways to get there in three cards, but the puzzle says "... using all five cards".

If you think you have another or multiple solutions that fit the template of turns, if you like you can send it to me and I'll see if I can see if there's something you overlooked or something I overlooked.

(Note by the way that after the #15 card you can't go straight ahead.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I accidentally submitted the last one before I figured it out. I got this one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jgrundy wrote:
If you think you have another or multiple solutions that fit the template of turns, if you like you can send it to me and I'll see if I can see if there's something you overlooked or something I overlooked.

Sent you a GM. And I am pretty sure you are the one that did the overlooking I explained it in my GM why it is all legal. But looking forward to getting confirmation one way or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
It says right at the top that it wants you to use all 5 cards.

I was surprised to read the thing about people complaining about the other puzzle. I'm not really very good at puzzles usually, but I thought the difficulty was appropriate. This one was too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jgrundy wrote:

Sent you a GM. And I am pretty sure you are the one that did the overlooking I explained it in my GM why it is all legal. But looking forward to getting confirmation one way or the other.
Yup. Both your solutions work. And since you entered the other one from the one I entered, I guess both solutions are accepted by the contest page.

There's also more than one solution to get there in three cards. (But as noted that wouldn't satisfy the parameters of the puzzle.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dean
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure all valid solutions are accepted. I'm fairly sure mine worked but it wasn't taken by the system.

Can't say I mind though. The game looks like fun and I'm not sure I would have noticed it without the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
CapAp wrote:
It says right at the top that it wants you to use all 5 cards.

yes, but there are multiple 5 card solutions. And it appears at one point, both weren't acceptable. sounds like they changed it though.

Quote:
I was surprised to read the thing about people complaining about the other puzzle. I'm not really very good at puzzles usually, but I thought the difficulty was appropriate. This one was too easy.

I found that statement odd as well. I had to print the image out so I could twist and turn it to see the right paths. That was much much easier than turning the moniter this way and that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!
Now that I actually got to read the rules, that took all of a few minutes... all that wasted time guessing at the first puzzle.

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Weak sauce. Did it with five cards, and it said I was wrong. And I made sure I was on the buoy at card 2 and 4 so that the turns looked right. If the site recorded my moves instead of just "right" or "wrong" you can see. I can still see it in my head so I could describe it in a PM if you want. Don't want to put it in spoiler text here. Although since it shows up as wrong it might be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, I put in an answer that I'm pretty sure is right, and it said I was wrong.

Unless I made a mistake entering it, my answer was
Spoiler (click to reveal)
54 - 15 - 26 - 47 - 4

I've double checked and this definitely works. So either I put it in wrong or there is a problem with this puzzle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Umm, I put in an answer that I'm pretty sure is right, and it said I was wrong.

Unless I made a mistake entering it, my answer was
Spoiler (click to reveal)
54 - 15 - 26 - 47 - 4

I've double checked and this definitely works. So either I put it in wrong or there is a problem with this puzzle!

I had the same amswer
We will just have to wait until the official solution is posted, enjoy the nice microbagde and run to the store and buy the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Waenink
New Zealand
Whangarei
Northland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

That's the solution I went with, and it was "wrong". I was annoyed by that. Seems like they could have done a better job designing the puzzles if they were only going to accept one answer.

I liked the contest, but I completely agree that having multiple solutions was poor. I also missed due to the multiple solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.