Subject: Battles of Midway and Coral Sea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a game or games (an expansion or the same game system) that depict these two battles. I know that there are several long out of print games, but I am interested in those that are currently available and which play in about 2 hours.
I have reviewed many titles of games here on BGG, but none seems to stand out, and most come in for criticism. I need some direction before spending my hard-earned cash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to have Second World War at Sea: Midway on the table right now. I like it, I'm glad to have it -- but it does have its flaws.

Since you are interested in the subject matter, though, I do recommend it. And it just so happens that it's on sale for the next few days from the publisher -- for $27, delivered (plus buy a second game and get a third free). At that price, I guess I'd say that I recommend it unreservedly.

If there's a better (readily available) option floating around out there right now, I don't know about it. (See, e.g., this GeekList.) Lightning: Midway – June 4th to June 6th, 1942 is readily available (I believe) and it's definitely a game I'd like to have -- but it's a card game, not a traditional consim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hooper
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, there is very little in print on these battles right now. Your only choice for both given your requirements is the aforementioned Second World War at Sea series from Avalanche Press. The Midway game is available now, while the Coral Sea game is to be published "soon". I don't happen to be a big fan of this series, but it certainly has its followers. You'll have to buy yet another game in the series, SOPAC, if you want to fight the Guadalcanal carrier battles. The biggest issue is your 2 hour play time requirement - I doubt you'll play these in that time frame.

Despite being OOP, I highly recommend looking into the AH Smithsonian games of Midway and Guadalcanal. They are not hard or expensive to obtain, both here on the geek and on ebay. They are playable in 2 hours and are a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the Coral Sea scenario is only available in an old issue of the General. There's an unofficial one posted here on the geek, but you'll have to make your own counters for it.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my 2 cents (I know, I'm a cheap SOB)

For Midway I still prefer the original one by Avalon Hill, simple yes but fun. It's a classic for the beer and pretzel games. Can still be found on Ebay fairly cheap and unpunched.

Now the Coral Sea is a whole different story. By far the best is Flat Top by Avalon Hill but it's a big jump in complexity. It covers all the early battles for that area of the Pacific too. Might not make your 2 hour limit though. This can also be found on Ebay at a good price and often unpunched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There is a Coral Sea expansion for the Midway game discussed above, which would give you one game for both battles. Unfortunately that one is hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all the other posters.

I just ordered Second World War at Sea: Midway from AVP as the current deal is really strong. While I am not a big fan of the combat system in these games, the scenarios and online support are just outstanding, and it is easy to use more advanced mini rules for combat if that is what you want to do. Plus the components are just beautiful.

I loved Midway and actually have a copy of it along with an unpunched Pacific Theatre Via Midway for sale in the marketplace if you want it. It's expensive because it is hard to find and I'm really in no rush to get rid of it, but that is an option. I was okay getting rid of Midway because Flat Top is just a much better game and not nearly as difficult as the box makes it out to be. However, there is no way Flat Top fits into your two hour window.

I had one crazy idea that does fit into your two hour window. If you have Ships in Flames and any edition of World in Flames you could actually run a pretty cool "mini-game" of the Midway or Coral Sea battles. Ships in Flames has every major vessel in WWII and you could easily put together the various taskforces and then duke it out. Obviously not as fulfilling as a true operational game, but it might be fun, and would easily fit your 2 hour window.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wryone wrote:
I loved Midway and actually have a copy of it along with an unpunched Pacific Theatre Via Midway for sale in the marketplace if you want it. It's expensive because it is hard to find and I'm really in no rush to get rid of it, but that is an option.

This combination is indeed excellent. It's a very simple but popular game system; it's greatest weakness is the very abstract metohd for resolving surface-to-surface combat. The expansion plays with the Midway rules, but adds land-based air units. With the addition of the Lexington, Saratoga, & Wasp, plus Zuikaku, Shokaku, Shoho, & Junyo, you can not only simulate Coral Sea, Eastern Solomons, and Santa Cruz, but you can try your own "What Ifs," like "What if Shokaku and Zuikaku were available for Midway?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.