Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Help me pick my Obama games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody! I am new to boardgamegeek, but DWTripp has been nice enough to offer me $100 worth of boardgames to start me on my gaming career! After that generous offer, the philanthropy continued when Darilan piped up and offered me $50 of board games! The catch is they're gonna make me wait until Barack Obama is president, but I can hold on a couple months!

So the question is, WHAT GAMES SHOULD I GET!!?!! I was thinking I'd like that Battlestar Galactica game, but that comes out in October, so Barack won't be president yet, TOO BAD!

And I'm pretty much sick to death of the whole Agricola thing, even though I did love pretending to be a mud farmer. So HELP ME OUT BGG, WHAT GAMES WOULD I LIKE?!?!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 1960: The Making of the President?

With a bit of work you could use the components to make a game about your bet!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you're saying you can't wait a couple of weeks for free Battlestar Galactica?

Won't Power Grid: China/Korea be out by then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're friends with DWTripp? How about a nice game of Boggle...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
You're friends with DWTripp? How about a nice game of Boggle...

"Friends" might be pushing it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
*woo hoo*

I'm already looking over what I want....Seriously thinking of maybe having Cap pick up some micro-armour, or maybe a copy of "Poor Bloody Infantry" for my 15mm miniatures.

Figure if I'm going to force Cap to eat crow about McCain, I can ALSO force him to have to look at what REAL wargames look like...Miniatures!

Darilian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer, huh? Maybe I should just ask for $50 worth of animeeples...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sheesh! Gimme an f'ing break. Tell the truth... you're already down $100 from the 2004 election and soon, you'll have lost $250 on your liberal wussy empty suit candidates.

I reckon that when I win in November I'll do what I did last time... go easy on you and let you get away with only $80 or $90 of games. Wouldn't want you to have to cut back on Ho-Ho's and Mountain Dew all because of your crappy politics Capster.

The more I think about this the more I'm leaning towards wanting you to win anyway. For a mere $100 I won't spend the next 4 fucking years listening you all the liberals on BGG proclaim that the only reason Obama lost is because everybody who didn't vote for him is a racist.

On the other hand, if McCain wins I can spend the next four years proclaiming the only reason you didn't vote Republican is that you're both a sexist and an ageist (is that a word? You know, hates old people?).

Either way, it doesn't matter cause I'm gonna win anyway. Like 2004, I'll just have you pick me up some games I would never spend my own money on. I can try them, hate them, and then trade them for good stuff.

Maybe Agricola?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Hi everybody! I am new to boardgamegeek, but DWTripp has been nice enough to offer me $100 worth of boardgames to start me on my gaming career! After that generous offer, the philanthropy continued when Darilan piped up and offered me $50 of board games! The catch is they're gonna make me wait until Barack Obama is president, but I can hold on a couple months!

So the question is, WHAT GAMES SHOULD I GET!!?!! I was thinking I'd like that Battlestar Galactica game, but that comes out in October, so Barack won't be president yet, TOO BAD!

And I'm pretty much sick to death of the whole Agricola thing, even though I did love pretending to be a mud farmer. So HELP ME OUT BGG, WHAT GAMES WOULD I LIKE?!?!


New to BGG. heh.

I think the price of winning should be that DW and Darillian get to pick the games that they want you to play
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, ooh, I just thought of a good one.

Warriors of God

It works on so many levels!

And since Obama is obviously a socialist how about

Triumph of Chaos

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No Exit wrote:
I want to help you Cap, but I'm having a problem finding a game in the database in which people playing the game are forced to redistribute a percentage of their resources to people who aren't playing the game.


Class Struggle, I already own it. Too bad, too. I would have loved to force Trippy to buy something with Marx's face on it.

vandemonium wrote:
I think the price of winning should be that DW and Darillian get to pick the games that they want you to play

Yeah, the problem with that is, it's prone to abuse. For instance, when I lost the Bush/Kerry bet, if he'd left it up to me Trippy would probably have recieved 50 packages of Button Men, or 10 copies of LCR.

DWTripp wrote:
I reckon that when I win in November I'll do what I did last time... go easy on you and let you get away with only $80 or $90 of games. Wouldn't want you to have to cut back on Ho-Ho's and Mountain Dew all because of your crappy politics Capster.

While I'd almost like to get $100 of Mountain Dew and Ho-Ho's instead of games, I can't stand either. I *will* accept $100 of Cheez-Its and Dr Pepper.

P.S. For the record, Trippy did let me off easy last time. He asked for Acquire and Age of Steam, which in those days cost me just $85. Ah, 2004 economy, I miss you already.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Don't worry, Cap.

If I made you play a game, I would make sure that it was a GOOD game.

Maybe "Origins: How We Became Human." Phil Eklund, the designer, is a big fan of Ayn Rand- might be GOOD for you to be exposed to good old fashioned Objectivism...Might help deprogram the Socialist Programming you get in the People's Republic of California......!

(No offense meant to those who live Orange County!)

Darilian
I kid, I kid.....!

(However, I agree with you on Cheez-its and Dr. Pepper. They are, truly, the modern Ambrosia.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Maybe "Origins: How We Became Human." Phil Eklund, the designer, is a big fan of Ayn Rand- might be GOOD for you to be exposed to good old fashioned Objectivism...

Oh, I've been exposed. Fun fact: Atlas Shrugged is the only book that's ever pissed me off so much that I burned it!

Quote:
(However, I agree with you on Cheez-its and Dr. Pepper. They are, truly, the modern Ambrosia.)

Have you tried Cheez-Its soaked in Dr Pepper? You'll thank me. Don't let them sit in it for more than a few seconds, they'll fall apart.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Fun fact: In the nascent years of Cap's boardgaming hobby, when I taught him Diplomacy and introduced him to the world of board games outside of Risk, and when we used to argue politics on a dial-up BBS in a podunk farming community ....

I gave him 5:1 odds on Clinton v. Dole. I.e., if Clinton won, he'd pay me $20, and if Dole won, I'd pay him $100. He was a big Clinton hater/Dole supporter at the time, although to be fair we were both young and dumb.

I made $20.

I would've bet more but I was poor.

Anyway, true story. I probably should have saved it for one of my "two truths and a lie" for when GOTW finally starts scraping the bottom of the barrel. But there you go. Cap, bless his heart, is a great guy to play games with, but has a proven track record of craptastic political wagering, going back to his whispy-bearded youth.

Also, I never burned my copy of Atlas Shrugged, although I did sell it to a used book store.

edit: stupid emoticons.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hate to tell you this Cap, but we Americans are a fucking stupid lot.

Bush STILL has a 27% approval rating.

Don't count on Americans to have any foresight nor do anything that is to their own benefit.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even my allies desert me!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Even my allies desert me!


It doesn't mean that I don't hope you get your games.

You live in Fresno, take a look around. I've been there.

How many of them are going to vote for a black man who they think is a Muslim -- despite the fact that they also think that he has the "crazy" Reverend "Wormtongue" Wright whispering white-hate in his ear.

He has a funny name that can be confused with Osama Bin Laden. And we all know what a bad guy he was.

He is too liberal for the conservatives, they are all screaming how he never crossed the aisles despite the fact that he did work with the Republicans on the anti-lobbyist bill. He hasn't been at his position long enough to cross over namely due to this retarded (in the true sense of the word) political climate. So, in his short run in office, despite the fact that he voted where his base wants him to vote, he is considered unyielding. And despite the fact that he has been in office longer than George W. was in any office before taking on the presidency he is considered inexperienced by the same people that voted for Bush.

Americans are idiots.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's worse is that he is too conservative for the liberals. So they will be off voting for the Green party's Cynthia McKinney. Worse, many liberals will be voting for Brian Moore who to the best of my knowledge isn't even a legal candidate. My socialist friends were complaining that he wasn't born in America. Yet, they are still voting for him.

It is maddening.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Life As A Blackman

I'd play this with you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, that's the best idea you've had since Harry Potter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
CapAp wrote:
Even my allies desert me!


It doesn't mean that I don't hope you get your games.

You live in Fresno, take a look around. I've been there.

How many of them are going to vote for a black man who they think is a Muslim -- despite the fact that they also think that he has the "crazy" Reverend "Wormtongue" Wright whispering white-hate in his ear.

He has a funny name that can be confused with Osama Bin Laden. And we all know what a bad guy he was.

He is too liberal for the conservatives, they are all screaming how he never crossed the aisles despite the fact that he did work with the Republicans on the anti-lobbyist bill. He hasn't been at his position long enough to cross over namely due to this retarded (in the true sense of the word) political climate. So, in his short run in office, despite the fact that he voted where his base wants him to vote, he is considered unyielding. And despite the fact that he has been in office longer than George W. was in any office before taking on the presidency he is considered inexperienced by the same people that voted for Bush.

Americans are idiots.


You obviously haven't spent much time in the Tower District in Fresno. As I look out my window, I see banners along the street about the upcoming Reel Pride Gay Film festival.

Edit: responding to Kevin below.

Fresno isn't all that conservative is all I'm sayin'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
I'm not really sure which of Morgan's points this is supposed to counter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Cap, bless his heart, is a great guy to play games with, but has a proven track record of craptastic political wagering, going back to his whispy-bearded youth.


So you are saying that CapAp is the type of guy you look for when you want to win money in Vegas, by betting the exact opposite of him. Hmmmmmmm, CapAp, I think you might be the reason Kerry Edwards lost.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Yes, absolutely. Here is an impromptu picture of Cap, taken at the last Fresno Gamers' Guild, immediately after he lost $20 to Steve Ironcates over a game of the Harry Potter CCG:

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn that Transfigurations deck of his...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.