Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they cannot.

Some people have proposed being able to trade resources as a variant, but I personally feel that this would add way too much time to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mateui wrote:
No, they cannot.

Some people have proposed being able to trade resources as a variant, but I personally feel that this would add way too much time to the game.

To much ease. The game shines as a game where you have to build yourself up, blocking the other players' actions. Trading would allow weird things to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
To much ease. The game shines as a game where you have to build yourself up, blocking the other players' actions.

That also describes Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
To much ease. The game shines as a game where you have to build yourself up, blocking the other players' actions.

That also describes Catan.

But Settlers is a game designed to facilitate trading. Agricola is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wanless
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we actually allowed trading in one game. mostly people were too shy to trade. in settlers almost all goods worth is known. but agricola has too many resources that can vary in worth to other players depending on occupations and minor improvements they have.

I made a trade in that game that allowed me to feed my family and score a bunch of points. I went on to win that game by 13 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers are a completely different story.

In Settlers, the flow of resources is governed by the dice. Also, Settlers is essentially a race game, when one gains the others lose.

In Agricola, you are completely in control of what resources to get. Also, Agricola is an "engine building" game.

Trading resources would severely unbalance Agricola. You are supposed to be constantly lacking resources for things you want to do - extremely limited number of actions IS the game. Trading wouldn't just make it easier to get a variety of resources; it would also represent an unrestricted flow of "free actions".

In other words, the length of the game is the least of the worries I would have. Free trading would brake the game, or at least make it much less enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.