Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Hex board construction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: DIY [+] [View All]
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a number of ideas that use hex boards, but I'm a bit over whelmed at making lots of itty-bitty hexs.

So whats the best way to quickly (if possible!) construct a board with a bunch of hexes?

Or do I have to buy a wargame... shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Sto...

Draw with dry-erase markers. If you don't like it, you can change your board on the fly until you have something you like.

Chevee
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
I have a number of ideas that use hex boards, but I'm a bit over whelmed at making lots of itty-bitty hexs.

So whats the best way to quickly (if possible!) construct a board with a bunch of hexes?

It depends a bit on what you need. Can you be more specific?

For example:

(1) Do you want:
(1a) a map with a hex grid overlay; or
(1b) single coloured hexes representing terrain and no other map details; or
(1c) something in between (what?).

(2) What size hexes?

(3) What size map?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe puzzibits would fit the bill? There's a guy who has posted some pictures in the Heroscape forum using them for maps - that seems a bit tiny, but for abstracts, looks like they'd fit the ubiquitous glass stones reasonably. http://www.puzzibits.com/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
I have a number of ideas that use hex boards, but I'm a bit over whelmed at making lots of itty-bitty hexs.

So whats the best way to quickly (if possible!) construct a board with a bunch of hexes?

It depends a bit on what you need. Can you be more specific?

For example:

(1) Do you want:
(1a) a map with a hex grid overlay; or
(1b) single coloured hexes representing terrain and no other map details; or
(1c) something in between (what?).

(2) What size hexes?

(3) What size map?

It's not specific! Maybe you don't realize, but this is only testing the initial idea. The idea may change a lot at this stage.
What's the best way to make a hex grid? When I say make, think more drawing on a piece of paper or wood, or something like that.

Thanks for the links, guys, but I don't think I want to spend any money right now. Thanks anyway!

I just want tips. If you can't give any, then that's OK.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
It's not specific! Maybe you don't realize, but this is only testing the initial idea. The idea may change a lot at this stage.

Still, those questions are relevant. I would do it on the computer, but whether that's really an option in your case depends on the answer to these questions.

Ambrose wrote:
What's the best way to make a hex grid? When I say make, think more drawing on a piece of paper or wood, or something like that.

The easiest way to draw a hex grid by hand is making (or borrowing) a single hex from hard material and drawing a line around it. The place it at the edge of the drawn hex and repeat. Etc.
Again, feasibility depends on what you need (size, etc.). Hence, again, the answers to my questions are relevant.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:

I just want tips. If you can't give any, then that's OK.


Here's my personal tip. Draw an evenly spaced series of straight lines going down your page, however many hex columns you'd like to have. Then go back and in columns 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, (odds), draw in a horizontal line at whatever point makes a square. Then on columns 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc, draw the horizontal lines offset by half a square. This will give you a hexgrid effect without trying to actually draw those annoying hexes...

Here's what I mean
As long as you make sure your ruleset says that a game piece in one square can move to any adjacent square, you'll be fine. You get hex movement without the hex grid.

Edit for assumption:
I guess I was assuming a kind of abstract movement game, a la chess; this offset grid thing is horrible for finding actual Line of Sight in a wargame (though it can be done...)
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
Edit for assumption:
I guess I was assuming a kind of abstract movement game, a la chess; this offset grid thing is horrible for finding actual Line of Sight in a wargame (though it can be done...)

Good tip! But sadly, it is a battle-type game, but fortunately, there is no line of sight!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
It's not specific! Maybe you don't realize, but this is only testing the initial idea. The idea may change a lot at this stage.

Still, those questions are relevant. I would do it on the computer, but whether that's really an option in your case depends on the answer to these questions.

I would have to put lots of standard pieces of paper together, 'cause my printer doesn't print bigger than that. It may well be what I have to do.

Lajos wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
What's the best way to make a hex grid? When I say make, think more drawing on a piece of paper or wood, or something like that.

The easiest way to draw a hex grid by hand is making (or borrowing) a single hex from hard material and drawing a line around it. The place it at the edge of the drawn hex and repeat. Etc.
Again, feasibility depends on what you need (size, etc.). Hence, again, the answers to my questions are relevant.

That's what I've been doing, but it is a drag, because I can't get a hex that is completely symmetrical, and it sounds weird, but for a completed game of mine, the geometry must be exact.

But for the other stuff, it'll work just fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
I would have to put lots of standard pieces of paper together, 'cause my printer doesn't print bigger than that. It may well be what I have to do.

What software do you use?
What is the total size you need?
What size hexes do you need?
Do you need numbered hexes?
Do you just need coloured hex shapes or other features as well?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
That's what I've been doing, but it is a drag, because I can't get a hex that is completely symmetrical, and it sounds weird, but for a completed game of mine, the geometry must be exact.


If you are interested in perfection, you need to spend the money and/or print. Drawing by hand, unless you are a monk, will be FAR from perfect.

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

There's some hex paper there. This will be your cheapest option. Print, cut, glue/tape together.


Chevee
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Ottery
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

Online hex grid PDF generator. Pick your grid and paper size and download the file.

Then you can cut/scribble/adapt to suit.

The same site has square, octagonal, triagonal, and dot grids IIRC.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Ottery
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you just hate it when that happens?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You want cheap, How about these

http://dicepool.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=197_223_2...

Irregular Battle mats, $7 each. Squares on one side, hexes on the other. It's awesome. The only thing really irregular about them is they are skewed slightly off square. (I can hardly notice it on mine. unless i look to the edge squares and see it farther away in one corner than in the other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I saw the subject and thought you meant constructing a board to play Hex...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Heh, I saw the subject and thought you meant constructing a board to play Hex...

goo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
Sigrdrifa wrote:
Edit for assumption:
I guess I was assuming a kind of abstract movement game, a la chess; this offset grid thing is horrible for finding actual Line of Sight in a wargame (though it can be done...)

Good tip! But sadly, it is a battle-type game, but fortunately, there is no line of sight!


Then the offset grid should work just fine. BTW, here's another link to an online source of graph paper for your printer. http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

Edit: Man, I'm an idiot. Read the whole freakin' thread, Jones... shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
My program, DrawHexGrid, is available free here: http://www.cryhavocgames.net/Tutorials_Utilities.htm

It will create a computer image of hexes of any size or orientation, with or without center crosses or dots and hex numbers, in any color scheme. You can choose your own font, font size, & number location within the hex. You can turn anti-aliasing on or off. You can vary the thickness of the hex lines. Hex numbering can be in a variety of formats. The size of the hex grid is limited only by available RAM. Etc.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Peters
Canada
Vanderhoof
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/

This is the program that I use. It's a command line program but has several output formats both raster and vector. You can use center dots, crosses or nothing. Use hex IDs and place them anywhere in the hex at any rotation you like.

The only downside is that you don't get the grid, center dots or ID on separate layers. But you can make it as large as you like.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The terrian from Heroscape would work I would think?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
You want cheap, How about these

http://dicepool.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=197_223_2...

Irregular Battle mats, $7 each. Squares on one side, hexes on the other. It's awesome. The only thing really irregular about them is they are skewed slightly off square. (I can hardly notice it on mine. unless i look to the edge squares and see it farther away in one corner than in the other.

This might be a tall order, so feel free to decline, but could you please post a photo of the defective map? I'd like to see how bad these are - I can be picky.

Thanks...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
So you need exact geometric hexes but LOS does not matter.

Why in the world do you need both?

Making a "hex" map using squares is the best (and easiest) way. I've drawn out hex maps for Battletech before on 2 ft x 4 ft pieces of wood and then cut wooden hexes (it was a lot of work).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Engineer Dad wrote:
So you need exact geometric hexes but LOS does not matter.

Why in the world do you need both?

Making a "hex" map using squares is the best (and easiest) way. I've drawn out hex maps for Battletech before on 2 ft x 4 ft pieces of wood and then cut wooden hexes (it was a lot of work).

NO, they are two different games.

One is a battle game, without line of sight.

The other one is an abstract game with a curious geometry, the measurements need to be exact (hexagons). It sounds weird, I know, but believe me, it's important, because I need to send the game to the publishers how the game will look post-production (in this case).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For prototyping, I shove together a bunch of poker chips to make a board.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
For prototyping, I shove together a bunch of poker chips to make a board.

Duh! cool Why didn't I think of that?!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.