Popular Tags: diy [+] [View All]
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a shot of my Agricola resources, all stickered and touched up:

I printed them on a color printer using full-sheet label paper. Then I punched them out with my wife's 0.500" circle punch.

It can be tricky to get the backer off. I used a small pocket knife, inserting the tip on edge between the label and backer.

After applying the labels, next comes the touch-up step. This is important because the cutting and applying the stickers will tend to leave a white frayed edge around the sticker. Doesn't look so good when you put them on the discs. Looks like they are all beat up!

So I took a soft tip marker that matched the paint on the wood, and traced carefully around the perimeter of the sticker to cover all the white rough edges. (you can skip this step on the reeds).

The touch-up step makes them go from looking "okay" to "sweet!!".

Have fun, and happy stickering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I removed the sticker backs by gently scribing a small line on the back of each stiker with a razor-blade. Don't scribe a line right across the middle of the circle* - do it very close to an edge - as close as you can get and still scribe a line. Then, use your finger nail to scrape off the small bit of backing that you scribed (right along the edge). Now you have a place to grap the sticker and separate it from the backing. Removing the backing is the most difficult step. Be sure and make more stickers than you will need - it will take practice to get this right.

If you do it this way, the edges are clean and there is no need for ink touch-up.

* if you scribe across the middle, then it is likely that a crease will show through when you place the sticker on the wooden disk. Also, it is actually more difficult to remove half of the backing that it is to scrape off a small piece at the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried scribing that small cut like you described. After ruining 4 of them, I decided that inking the edges was a LOT easier. Plus, no matter how carefully you remove the backer, the punching alone might have already damaged the edges.

Maybe it depends on how much caffeine you have in your system. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

It's funny the detail you can see on a high res images...

One piece of wood was touched up with the clay colored marker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see in the pdf file for the stickers that there are two versions. One has a circle to indicate where to punch. The other has no circle on each token. Which is everyone using? It seems that the one without the circle would be better, so the circle won't show if the cut is not perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
thumbsup

It's funny the detail you can see on a high res images...

One piece of wood was touched up with the clay colored marker

Never!! Our Quality Control process is six sigma!!

Oh, ok, you win. You're right. That was a trial piece that probably never got re-marked after I settled on a color. Good spotting!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
howaa wrote:
I see in the pdf file for the stickers that there are two versions. One has a circle to indicate where to punch. The other has no circle on each token. Which is everyone using? It seems that the one without the circle would be better, so the circle won't show if the cut is not perfect.

Use the second page. The one with no circle guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wow, sloppy work. You didn't touch up the white reeds.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
durak60 wrote:
Plus, no matter how carefully you remove the backer, the punching alone might have already damaged the edges.

That depends on your punch.

Can someone suggest a source for a punch? I saw a 1" circle punch at the craft store for $10. They didn't have a smaller circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gone every where and can't find a .5" punch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you spray clear coat on the finished product? What are the pros and cons of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
durak60 wrote:
eightbit wrote:

Tim, you should try Scrap Scribble & Stick, or Pages In Time. Any scrapbook store should have these. That's where ours came from. Not sure if Michael's would have it or not.

Michaels and JoAnn don't have 1/2" punches. I tried those places first. The best they had was 5/8" which is too big. The discs are slightly smaller then that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
howaa wrote:
Did you spray clear coat on the finished product? What are the pros and cons of this?

Debated this. Didn't do it. I supposed I still could, but I've played over 15 games with the stickers on, and they are not showing even the slightest amount of wear, so I think I'm okay for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pages in Time was not open today. I have been to 1 other creative memory type store, 2 Micheals, 2 Hobby Lobby's, 2 Meijer's, 2 WalMarts, a Target, a Office Depot, and an OfficeMax. Nobody had a punch smaller than 3/4". I couldn't even find one online.

I'll go to pages in time again tommorrow, it's on my way home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a whole long thread where we discuss the 1/2" punches, exactly what to get and where to get it.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2568474#2568474

Also, to stick them on, peal off the backing and then stick it back on before you punch. It makes it much easier to remove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Also, to stick them on, peal off the backing and then stick it back on before you punch. It makes it much easier to remove.

I highly recommend this. It makes removing them so much easier.

Also be sure to have tin foil and wax paper handy to keep the punch sharp and well lubricated. It gets dull pretty fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
durak60 wrote:
eightbit wrote:

Tim, you should try Scrap Scribble & Stick, or Pages In Time. Any scrapbook store should have these. That's where ours came from. Not sure if Michael's would have it or not.

Michaels and JoAnn don't have 1/2" punches. I tried those places first. The best they had was 5/8" which is too big. The discs are slightly smaller then that.

I agree, after having also scoured my local Michaels store. However, the 5/8" circle punch they do sell for ~$3 is excellent for punching out those semi-circles when making the tuck boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
durak60 wrote:
eightbit wrote:

Hmmm. I got my 1/2" punch at Michaels. Several months ago, but it was Michaels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to pages in time in Jenison today. They didn't have it. The staff wasn't interested in helping me find it even if they did and they weren't interested in selling me anything. Very disappointing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
ScottE wrote:
durak60 wrote:
eightbit wrote:

Hmmm. I got my 1/2" punch at Michaels. Several months ago, but it was Michaels.

After alot of research when I was originally buying mine I found out the Marvy Uchida brand used to make a 1/2" punch. But discountiued it and now has just the 5/8". So you got lucky that store still had stock of the old one.

EK Success still makes a 1/2" punch but they call it "Large Circle" and no where on the package does it actually say 1/2"! It's called a Paper Shaper and you can find them on eBay (which is where I bought mine).

I'm still shocked how much trouble I had getting something so simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
durak60 wrote:
Here's a shot of my Agricola resources, all stickered and touched up:

I printed them on a color printer using full-sheet label paper. Then I punched them out with my wife's 0.500" circle punch.

It can be tricky to get the backer off. I used a small pocket knife, inserting the tip on edge between the label and backer.

After applying the labels, next comes the touch-up step. This is important because the cutting and applying the stickers will tend to leave a white frayed edge around the sticker. Doesn't look so good when you put them on the discs. Looks like they are all beat up!

So I took a soft tip marker that matched the paint on the wood, and traced carefully around the perimeter of the sticker to cover all the white rough edges. (you can skip this step on the reeds).

The touch-up step makes them go from looking "okay" to "sweet!!".

Have fun, and happy stickering.

A Vandemonium never forgets I remembered you had asked about removing the sticker. I just got done with my 18AL Kit and found a technique that seemed to work well. I found a 1/2" punch as well and then to get the backs off, I recalled that in many of the data centers I have worked in the label machines often have a little "zippy do" I don't know what you call it that you use to get the backs off the labels. I applied this technique at home by using a simple paper clip. I took the sticker, sticker side away from me and then slid the sticker between the rails of the clip and then quickly feathered it by moving the clip along the picture printed side away from me. It is more or less the same idea as "zipping" Christmas ribbon to get the fancy curl. I found that after one or two zips the backing would just about curl itself right off, or with just a bit of coaxing from my finger tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.