Popular Tags: [View All]
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Way back in 2006 I pre-ordered Battlelore, but despite the fact that I enjoy the game it has never seen too much play. Until now, it appears. And it has nothing to do with the fact that Fantasy Flight now owns the game. It's because my four year old son and my five year old daughter constantly clamour to play. And it's all because I thought I'd try an experiment: to see what their little kiddie brains were capable off.

Session 1.

On a whim I pulled the game off the shelves and opened the box. The kids were quite impressed by all the little figures. We decided – i.e., I decided - to play just with blue foot units and ignore everything else – terrain, scenarios, even the command cards. Son and daughter played on the same team and each of them got to move/attack with one unit per round. This worked quite well for the most part, although it took son a while to understand how the dice should be interpreted. My daughter, on the other hand, catches on to rules quickly, and she has this habit of asking lots of questions herself, just to make sure that she properly understands, each one punctuated with a final "right dad?" "The flag means you have to run away, right dad?" "So because you can't go back anymore, your guys die, right dad?" "Yes, dear, and you can have the flag."

It took a fair bit of dice-rolling for the game to end. We didn't play with the battle-back rules and the kids did not exactly launch systematic attacks, so the whole thing took a while. In the end they managed to get the final banner and win, and they were quite proud of themselves. Little did they realize that their dad was planning a long-term strategy of Battlelore-addiction...

Session 2.

This time we introduced a few more rules. We now had a few archers, but still no terrain or specific scenarios. Just for fun we played with the Hill-giant and the Spider. Each side had a monster (with simplified rules) and the aim of the game was not to capture banners but just to kill the monster.

Son and I played together against daughter. She tends to be quite a careful player and decided to move all her troops right around her hill-giant. Smart plan. Dad's thought: this is going to be a long game. Incidentally, whenever we play chess her opening move is always to move her horse and then next turn move it back again to safety behind the pawns. What a chicken.

Son and I devised a devious plan, which son promptly revealed to his sister: the two-pronged assault. We would send our troops around and attack from behind. Whaha.

Daughter responded by putting more troops at the back of the giant, and our plot was foiled.

As it turned out, this game took FOREVER because the Monsters just wouldn't die. There were hardly any units left when the spider finally bit the dust and daughter was victorious. She was beaming with joy, but asked, just to be sure: "I guess I won, right dad?" "Yes, dear, so you did."

Session 3.

Daughter wanted to play, but son wanted to do some painting. Not miniatures, mind you. However, as soon as we started to play son came back and joined my team.

This time we went for the real deal: the Agincourt scenario. The only thing we left out were the forest pieces and some of the command-cards (we only included the basic movement cards, and not all the cards with special text). Since there was no "darken the skies" dad decided to play the English. Daughter also got 6 command cards instead of 4, so that she wouldn't get stuck.

When daughter realized how good the cavalry were she was itching to attack. And attack she did, although while she decimated my lines with some swift attacks she also lost some calvary, and as a result the game gradually became fought on foot.

Son and I kept shooting with the archers and hitting little as the blue Frenchies advanced up the field. Every time we did get a hit we did a high five, which for my four-year old son was actually the best part of the game.

Unfortunately, because of some awful management of cards on the part of the English (playing Scout cards and picking up crappy cards), as well as a general lack of indirection, the French finally won 4-2. Daughter was overjoyed. She didn't need to ask whether she had won this time.

Conclusion.

First, some pictures:

I've certainly enjoyed our sessions so far, not least because it's been fun to watch the kids learn a set of fairly complex rules. The games go on a bit longer than I'd like, but I'm hopeful that with regular play things will become easy and straightforward for the kids. That's definitely a prospect to look forward to.

Oddly enough, as I am finishing this, daughter says to son: "Do you want to play Battlelore?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mb
Awesome!

I've been a bit wary of bringing this out with my 5-year old. I've played Memoir '44 with him, but the rules for that always seemed a bit easier and easier to simplify for him.

I'm bringing out Battlelore now for sure.

Thanks,

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very fun reading! I've tried to interest my daughter, but she just wants to put them in her mouth. OK, she's just turned one and can't even speak yet but I SOOOOOOO want a gamer kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the saying, "Give me a kid for the first seven years and you will have a gamer forever"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! (and great picture!)
Please keep us posted on future developments, and the continued adventures of Junior #1 & #2 with Battlelore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.