Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Moore
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking forward to enjoying this latest twist to Carc, but after one play I have some queries:

The start board is 10 tiles wide - can you build out beyond this, or is it limiting? As you are supposed to be building west, rather than north and south, we assumed it is limiting.

If limiting, if a feature such as a trail or settlement extends outside this, does it mean the feature cannot be completed or does it complete it ? We assumed it cannot be completed.

Surveyors: What happens when they are forced out beyond the tiles due to scoring? Do they stand still or move on anyway to a virtual column ?
We assumed they move on to virtual columns - but were then in danger of moving off the table!

Surveyor scoring: In the main rules it says surveyors score +4 pts each if in same column as the meeple, but in the summary sheet it says at the bottom +2 per surveyor is scored ? Which is correct?
We assumed +4 as per main rules.

Scoring: It says if you pass 50 to lie your scoring meeple down, but what happens if you then score 100 or beyond? In our game we both scored over 100. (Bring back the 50/100 score tile!)
We used spare meeples of the other colours not in play to track the scoring.

Clarification is needed on these points as we feel this is otherwise a nice twist on the Carc theme.

2nd play: End game scoring had us checking the rules about whether surveyors still give bonuses. Eventually found the line that says surveyors do not give a bonus during end game scoring under Trapper end game scoring! This game, the surveyors didn't reach the western most tiles and scores were 160/125. Still enjoyable to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan King
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's plenty of strategy in still playing to the East of the Surveyors, so we didn't see a problem with playing above and below the starting 10.

After many games I haven't seen the Surveyors have to move further forward than 1 column without a tile to land on - I can imagine a situation where it happens, but it'd be a pretty strange game to have all your meeples developing that far back, since they are cleared from the board when the Surveyors move, and to not have continued placing tiles to the West.

I also assume +4, otherwise they'd be too weak to bother with waiting for their bonus.

When scoring, as in all the Carcs, we lay the meeple down for 50+, then stand back up for 100+ - if you're both standing, then you're either on the same lap, or you've got a commanding lead - like 75 points ahead - so it doesn't come up too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Hopalong wrote:
Surveyors: What happens when they are forced out beyond the tiles due to scoring? Do they stand still or move on anyway to a virtual column ?

The original German rules make it clear that they don't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Hopalong wrote:
Surveyor scoring: In the main rules it says surveyors score +4 pts each if in same column as the meeple, but in the summary sheet it says at the bottom +2 per surveyor is scored ? Which is correct?

+4, as specified in the original German summary sheet. The RGG sheet is (yet again) in error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Aldaron - I have had the same idea of finding the original German rules to seek clarification, but as I don't speak/read German I've asked a friend to look at it who does.
Thanks for the clarifications.

What about building North or South beyond the 10 tile board width?
Do the original rules mention whether you can or not?
We've been limiting play to the board width as that seem to be in keeping with the build west theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopalong wrote:
What about building North or South beyond the 10 tile board width? Do the original rules mention whether you can or not? We've been limiting play to the board width as that seem to be in keeping with the build west theme.

The English rules clearly say that you can't build east of the coast. You would have to be building north or south of the starting ten for this to come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
The English rules clearly say that you can't build east of the coast. You would have to be building north or south of the starting ten for this to come up.

Where is this stated? I couldn't find it in the RGG rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.