6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: More on logging plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anni Foasberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I was looking at a thread from earlier this month about logging plays, and the following comment caused me to realize I've been doing at least one thing completely wrong...

Aldie wrote:
Rating is the rating that the user playing gave it 1-10 usually.

Um, wow. I've been using it to track how everyone placed in the game. I don't see any other place to do this on the form short of memorizing all the victory point totals, which I haven't been able to successfully do. So, I guess my data is pretty inaccurate now, because it shows the winner of every game I've played rating it a one.

The thing is, knowing who placed second, third, etc. is important to me, nearly as important as knowing who placed first. I like to track my improvement at playing a game and I know I am playing better if, for instance, I can consistently come in second instead of having my finishes spread all over the place and including a lot of distant lasts (even if some of those other finishes are wins).

I guess what I'm saying is that I'll go back and fix this data (and the data from future plays) if and when a system is implemented to track game placement. But for the moment, this is a more useful way for me to use this field than is tracking information (user ratings) that's already in the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Well you can use it for whatever you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibaimendi wrote:

Um, wow. I've been using it to track how everyone placed in the game. I don't see any other place to do this on the form short of memorizing all the victory point totals, which I haven't been able to successfully do. So, I guess my data is pretty inaccurate now, because it shows the winner of every game I've played rating it a one.

I try to keep a small pad of paper with me and keep track of scores with that. This makes things very easy to log plays later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

So do these ratings effect the overall game rating or not then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:
Aldie wrote:

So do these ratings effect the overall game rating or not then?

I doubt it since the vast majority of them are zeros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried keeping track of my placement in games for awhile, but I found it made me care too much about my placement so I stopped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.