Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Wall
United Kingdom
London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so we have really enjoyed Lost Cities, Schotten Totten and San Juan but are a little bit burnt out on all 3 of them and are looking for an alternative game.

We would like something that plays relatively quickly and can fill 30 minutes of an evening here or there, and also something that doesn't take up masses of table space so is suitable for playing while away from home, in a hotel room or caravan, for example.

As counter-examples, we have tried Starship Catan and Catan Card Game and while we enjoy them we have found them to take up a little too much time and space. While I love Race for the Galaxy, it's a little too chaotic for my other half. We both found Hive a little too dry and deterministic to be fun. Anything collectible is also a no-no.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aton
Fjords
Ponte del Diavolo
Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale is a nice quick card game that doesn't take much space to play. Blue Moon seems to fit the bill too. And why not take a standard deck of cards? I recently tried Haggis and found it to be quite enjoyable.

Talking about gamesystems, you could also consider games for the Icehouse or Piecepack gamesystems. They both are very portable and there is a nice variety of games to play in different styles. For example: Zendo, Volcano, Alien City, Castles and many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wilkinson
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bath & North East Somerset
flag msg tools
mb
Probably not what you would normally play, but I urge you to try this wonderful little abstract: Plateau.

Plays quickly - games last anywhere between 5 minutes and 40 minutes. Played on a 4x4 grid with double sided chequer pieces so very portable.

Finally, all the games you mentioned are card based - not only does this have very different gameplay - the tactile experience is completely different.

Don't dismiss it as an abstract immediately - it has a huge bluffing, tactical and strategic options in a mix that is very rare in any game let alone an abstract. My highest rated game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a topic I contemplate frequently. I too have played so much Battle Line and Lost Cities that they have lost their excitement for me. San Juan I still enjoy but it is not my girlfriend's favorite.

Jambo is a great little card game with something of a eurogame feel to it, due to all the trading chits and money and action counters. My girlfriend and I play it a lot. By far our most played game these days. She has claimed it has her game, due to her many wins, and is outraged when I win! I love it all.

Louis XIV is very packable, and has a good two player variant (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/90421). I tend to go up and down on whether it is an outstanding game, but I keep playing anyway on occasion. And you can invite others to join. It does give that eurogame feel that can be missing in card games.

As mentioned, Aton (leave the box behind), and Blue Moon are both very good, but Blue Moon is not for everybody. My girlfriend can't stand Blue Moon because of the fantasy art. Because of Aton's many paths to victory design, it has that eurogame feeling.

Razzia! is an awesome card game variant of RA, so if you like that particular masterpiece, it might work for you. It plays very well with two, or you can invite others to join.

Kingdoms is a good two player game, if you don't mind lots of calculation for scoring. It also works with more players. Very packable. Might be "dry and deterministic" however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Micropul
Hey, That's My Fish!
Richelieu
Saint Petersburg
Ingenious: Travel Edition
Bohnanza
I'd also second the suggestion for Icehouse Pyramids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Hellas, which seems to fit your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games we've played at restaurants (aside from Race, which you've said doesn't fit the bill) -

Aton
Travel Ingenius
Travel Blokus
Forbidden
Archaeology
Cold War
Ticket to Ride Card Game
Scrabble Express
Unspeakable Words
Quiddler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Blokus Duo. It is rather small and a enjoyable method of play and the games are relatively short (sometimes a plus while traveling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:
I second Blokus Duo. It is rather small and a enjoyable method of play and the games are relatively short (sometimes a plus while traveling)

I didn't recommend Travel Blokus, since he'd mentioned "We both found Hive a little too dry and deterministic to be fun". Otherwise I'd agree with you, I'm a big blokus fan, even if I think Trigon is the best of the three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of great games mentioned above my post. I am really enjoying Cold War: CIA vs KGB since I recently got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
Game Artisans of Canada Member
badge
My Best Bud Parker 2004-2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlefields of Olympus should be out in a month or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Catan Dice Game. Surprisingly fun and very simple. Takes up very little room. Luck based w/ the die but some minor decision making. Good for the vehicle or on a hiking trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tantrix is a nice mix of luck and tactics, with great clacky Bakelite tiles in a handy zippered carrying pouch. We've taken it on trips and enjoyed it. It also works with 2-4 players, should you get the chance to interest other people in playing with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Loeb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is very portable. The 3rd edition comes with a travel pouch.

Nevermind-- teach me to read the original post all the way through. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I go again recommending Pick & Pack. I do that a lot nowadays. But it IS a really nice two player game with plenty of player interaction and plays in around 15 mins. The box is about the size of Lost Cities, and is thus pretty portable.

Shanghaien is hard to find in the UK (I think) but is definitely worth buying if you get the chance. I ordered it from Germany. 20 mins playing time with interesting decisions without straining the gray matter too much.

You are more than welcome to check out my geeklist where I list me and my wife's experiences of plenty of two player games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/30945

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Two favorites for my wife and I that seem to fit your criteria:

Lord of the Rings: The Duel is incredibly tense and packs a lot of game into a short time (under 30 minutes) and a small box. In a pinch, you could even ditch everything but the cards and just use a score sheet, though you'd lose some of the flavor.

Bananagrams is super-portable -- it's just a banana-shaped bag full of letter tiles. It's almost more of a race than a game, but it's a lot of fun.

If you dig word games, there's a fantastic $15 travel edition of Scrabble that zips into its own case and keeps everything in place with lockable tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendations for Aton and Fairy Tale. Also, Coppertwaddle is a 2-player card game that has a small footprint; while it's a bit quirky, we've found the game to be both challenging and fun once we got used to the game play. You might also check out Biblios...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
TransAmerica - my wife's favorite
Balloon Cup
Downfall of Pompeii
Avalon-Hill Football
Mr. Jack
Travel Blokus
Mystery Rummy series
Battleline

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wall
United Kingdom
London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great advice!

We reviewed the suggestions last night and have decided to take Peter's advice and go for Jambo Also thanks to Henrik for the link to his very useful couples games list which was also very useful for making our decision. We are a big fan of the Kosmos 2 player series, as we have sometimes found that games designed for more players don't work well with 2. Also the box size and the fact that Jambo is a card game would seem to work well for our travel needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very good choice, you are pretty certain to like that one. I especially enjoy the design and graphics of the game. Different with the African theme, and very good illustrations.

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Kutten
Luxembourg
Bertrange
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebbe & Flut is a very nice little cardgame from Adlung.
Girl Genius: The Works is also a cool 2-player cardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.