Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says HCBI puts down 2 smoke markers instead of 1. I've got that part.

In one place it mentions using HCBI when WP is too dangerous. Does this imply that WP is considered firing at the enemy unit, which may shoot back, but HCBI isn't shooting at the unit?

It also says HCBI is for putting smoke on friendly units. But.... why do you still check the To Hit Table, if you're not really shooting at the enemy? Friendly Forces are considered to be in the hub with yourself. Seems like HCBI would be much easier to put down than trying to hit an enemy at long range. And if course, you have smoke grenades for putting smoke on yourself.

Thanks for the help.
Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This reply is a little late, but I've been a member here for less than a month.

WP (white phosphorous or "willy peter" to the troops) is more of an offensive smoke round, fired at an enemy target to obscure their view. I've read where tankers shot WP rounds at enemy tanks and the crews bailed because they thought their tank was on fire. This is also the reason you want to limit firing WP rounds close to your own troops - you might burn 'em!

HCBI (hexachlorothane-Base Initiating) is a simple (and non-lethal) chemical smoke round used defensively to obscure friendly units from the enemy.

So basically, fire the WP rounds at the enemy (maybe they'll burn!) and use the HCBI stuff to hide yourself and your friends from the enemy.

As for needing to roll on the To Hit table, if you miss you failed to put the smoke round in position to block the enemy's Line of Sight (LOS). That is my humble opinion, anyway.

Good Hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I note that any WP and HCBI shell fire is Area fire.

Which brings up a question :

As 9.2 states : "Area fire represents shooting into a general area."
and the Green ( Sherman ) "To Hit Target" chart shows Infantry and Vehicle Target columns ; can I fire into a Area with no Enemy Troops in it ?

The above suggests not, but that seems incorrect to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Scott
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't believe you can fire WP or HCBI as Area Fire into an empty zone. You need to target a known enemy unit to fire smoke.

I was confused about Area Fire for a long time, but it turns out that you're still firing at a particular enemy unit, you're just dropping the shell in their general area rather than trying to hit them directly. This gets rid of terrain modifiers and makes it easier to hit targets at medium range, for example. Things like acquired target still apply, however.

But regarding the original question, in PB there's no effective difference between WP and HCBI except that you place 2 Smoke counters with HCBI, and you only get 1D10 HCBI shells per day of combat. Friendly troops are never out in the battle map, so there's never an issue on avoiding WP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

HCBI rounds are noted at 16.14 as being used for obscuring friendly postions where WP would be too dangerous to friendly troops.

As all friendly troops are in the "hub" area, this would suggust you can fire HCBI rounds there ( rather than using a smoke grenade ) ?!?

If this is so, I would think you could ( area ) fire at an empty zone also ( with HCBI or WP )...

[ Smoke rounds are fired using Area fire ; but IMHO this does not necessarily mean that the same logic applies as when Area fire is used for firing at enemy units. I.E. a target is not necessarily required. ]

To quote an earlier post ( in this thread ) : "As for needing to roll on the To Hit table, if you miss you failed to put the smoke round in position to block the enemy's Line of Sight (LOS)". This works for me.

[ NB : See also 9.2 wording :

"Direct Fire represents aiming a shot at a specific target. Area Fire represents shooting into a general area".

Whilst this wording does not disagree in general with your interpretation of Area Fire, neither does it disagree with mine as the ( Area fire ) wording neglects to mention that a target is required... ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Saccocea
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as Area Fire denotes firing into a general area, not directly at the target,does this mean that there is not an increased chance (per the Enemy Action Tables) of an enemy unit firing back at your tank if you fire at it with smoke rounds? It would seem that there is no defensive advantage to firing a smoke round that may, in fact, miss, and then have an increased chance of drawing unobscured fire back.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.