Popular Tags: [View All]
brenton t vallade
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
does anyone know how the "radio control" card works. i drew it for the first time tonight. it says i can use it instead of my laser. the person then has to follow my program for the rest of the turn. yet lasers dont fire until the end of the turn so what exactly do they have to follow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brenton t vallade
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
after posting this question i reread my rule book. and yes i have been playing this game wrong. i now understand what that card does and how it works and yes i am an idiot .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brenton t vallade
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i dint know i could delete the thread. i will allow the notification of my continued stupidity to run another day or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn; maybe you should try for shooting the moon? =)

but seriously, we all do it sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dierking
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
I have a question on Radio Control.

Can the player being radio controlled use option cards like brakes or.. I can't remember the name of it now, but the one that lets you replace one of your registers with one you set aside during the programming phase?

I don't believe so, considering it says "replace one of YOUR registers" with the one set aside, but my friend disagrees, believing that the radio control card has already replaced all of the remaining registers of the person being controlled with the registers of the person doing the controlling. With that logic, he believes he can then relpace the already replaced register with the set aside card.

That doesn't make sense for the logic of the game. You're movement is being controlled by someone else, but you can still make independant actions?!?!

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerChuit wrote:
Can the player being radio controlled use option cards like brakes or.. I can't remember the name of it now, but the one that lets you replace one of your registers with one you set aside during the programming phase?

You mean flywheel.

I'd say you're perfectly free to replace whatever card you just turn up for the flywheel, as the flywheel card is "runtime". The radio control is timed at the moment of the laser fire moment, which is long before the cards are turned up.

So yes, if your program is entirely replaced by the radio control (or the scrambler bomb) you can use Flywheel instead of the new card you got.

TylerChuit wrote:
That doesn't make sense for the logic of the game. Your movement is being controlled by someone else, but you can still make independant actions?!?!

Yep, that's the Flywheel. Radio control doesn't replace cards as they go, they replace the entire program the moment you shoot, whereas Flywheel is activated at will - it's a runetime card.

Now, I wonder what the heck happens with phase programmed options...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hurburgh
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to disagree, as the rules on the "Radio control" card state that "This causes the target robot to execute your program for the rest of the turn."
This indicates that the affected robot's program is not replaced, but ignored and that the robot is getting it's program directly from the robot with the radio control option.

Therefore the flywheel would not work as it changes the program which is then ignored.

However the brakes would work if the controlling robot has a move 1 programmed, the affected robot could then use it's brakes option instead of moving 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to apologize, the option in question isn't "Flywheel", but "Conditional". (Flywheel just lets you save a program card from one turn to the next)

This is what the options say in the Wizard of the Coast version:
Radio control:
"The radio control beam [...] replaces that robot's entire program with a copy of your robot's program."
Conditional:
"This conditional program may then be substituted for any program card in your registers before cards for that register phase are revealed."

From that text it's pretty obvious that when radio control is fired, what happens is that the target robot's program gets a copy of the shooting robot's program, i.e. they are copied into your registers. Thus the Conditional can be used to replace them.

That, and the fact that it's more fun if options can interact that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hurburgh
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh! It seems we have some slight rewording in the text between different versions. I have the Avalon Hill (2005) version which obvisouly changes the rules slightly. I too apologise, as the wording you stated would definetly work in the way you have described.

I wonder if there are any more slight differences that could cause confusion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are. I think, for example, that the mechanical arm works diagonally and that walls doesn't block it. Or perhaps that was in the Amigo version.

Thank god BGG hasn't split the game's forums for Robo Rally yet, else this question would have been hard to answer to, not so?

To reply to my own query, phase programmed gadgets and launchers are not affected by radio control at all. Touch luck if you place a mine and the card you do is a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.