Popular Tags: [View All]
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my wife and I have noticed that with two players it quite often happens that we have in excess of 10 aristocrats. So we thought for a while that in our two player games we should be able to score more than the 55 points you get for 10 or more. In other words, you should get 66 for 11, 77 for 12, or something like that.

We played one or two games like that, and enjoyed them both, but have since reconsidered this variant, and vow not to play that way anymore.

You might ask: why? Well, the reason is that we ended up focusing too much on aristocrats. Gone was the decision making process of when to stop buying buildings and focus on getting those final aristocrats on the table. When you don't need 11 or more the buildings gain in importance and the decision making is much more interesting.

Has anyone else tried this minor variant? Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 2-player game there's a little sub-game of how much you have to focus on aristocrats to make it to 10 without wasting effort getting more than 10. Clearly, you don't always get to 10 (nor do you always want to,) but if you give up valuable other opportunities to grab aristocrats and as a result, you make it to 10 before you needed to, it can hurt your result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to describe. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.