Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Firestine
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know where the British Variant for Ambush! can be found? Is it posted anywhere?

- David Firestine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Engle
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play Ambush! a lot and I never heard of a British variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Firestine
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was an article in one of the General magazines that gave information on how to play the British.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Victory Insider #6, which was added to General 21.5 included variants on British and French Resistance soldiers (mortars and flamethrowers, too).

I don't know if this article is available free on the net, but if it was I would also be interested in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this copy of the General and it Does have the said article. If you wish a copy just personal email me thought this site. I'm not sure if posting it here would be permitted? If I can I'll scan it and post it here.

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, there is also a German variant that appeared in Battleplan. It was along the same lines as the British variant (e.g., building squads with weapons, but using the same scenarios)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
So what exactly do these variants do?

Allow you to play through the game with a british squad? So you get different weapons,etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Milhouse917 wrote:
For what it's worth, there is also a German variant that appeared in Battleplan. It was along the same lines as the British variant (e.g., building squads with weapons, but using the same scenarios)...

Has anyone seen this one? How does it play out? Do you remember which Battleplan it was in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its in Battleplan 2 (the one with the cover art from World in Flames), title of the article is "Fallschirmjager." Have never played it. Like the British variant, the concept is to build a squad with slightly different costs for weapons and soldier quality, then play the same missions. In this variant, it has a quick blurb for each mission to give it a German spin. IIRC, it also has some minor adjustments to the victory conditions on some as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a snippet from BattlePlan #2 : Fallschirmjager Variant

INTRODUCTION
The days of lightning strikes from the sky are over for you. There will be no more large scale offensives in which you will take part. The Allies have the initiative and they are racing across France. Your duty is clear. As elite troops you are expected to fill the gaps and slow down the tide. The army's depending on you, Germany's depending on you, and your very lives are depending on how well you can perform the task assigned to you. Load up, and move out...

DESIGNER'S NOTE: If you own any of the expansions for Ambush!, you can develop similar scenarios based on the available modules and their missions. One thing to always keep in mind is that you must think the reverse of the original scenario. Hopefully, these variants will make playing Ambush! even more enjoyable for you.

MISSION 1: Blutig St. Michaux
MISSION 2: Retreat through Chasoul
MISSION 3: Cold Morning in Belgium
MISSION 4: Fallschirmjager
MISSION 5: Fall Taschendieb
MISSION 6: Assault on Fortress Belgium
MISSION 7: To the Last Bullet
MISSION 8: Battle for the Ardennes

From my experience - Mission 4 is epic - as it is for the US in the same mission - D-Day Night Drop to Destiny.

Trying to get the Germans to put up a good fight really shines through here.

In issue 4 of BattlePlan, a mission entitled Block Party was presented. This mission includes the following:

4 Mission cards
12 German Soldier Cards
2 German Vehicles: Panzer V (Panther) and Halftrack
1 US Sherman Tank Card
10 new pages of Paragraphs

New Rules for Berserk players were also presented, which as a note here, BattlePlan #5 included an addendum which took some of the "superhuman" capability out of the original rules.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a copy of your scan Jim.

Thanks,
Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
castiglione
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
The British variant basically had rules for generating characters (I believe that British characters were worse drivers but better marksmen than American GI's) and the different weapons used by Commonwealth forces...the biggest difference is that instead of the semi-automatic M1 as the standard rifle, the British would be using the bolt-action Lee Enfield, which made things a wee bit different (and difficult). I'm not sure what the differences were between the BAR and the Bren gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.