Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing scenario three it is obvious that the solitaire rules are inadequate to the game, especially, when there is hidden units and movement.

1.Off-Board Artillery does not work on a solitaire basis.
2.Hidden units and hidden movement rules are awkward.

As for Off-Board Artillery, allow the side using the OBA to place three areas on the map per use of card with any blank counters. When the artillery is used the following turn, roll a single die for each spot. The highest roll is where the artillery strike takes place.

As for hidden units, placing 3 question mark counters for each hidden unit on the map where there is a potential for a hidden unit to appear (Five units would result in 15 question marks being placed). Once placed at the beginning of the game they should not be touched other than to be removed.

If a question mark can use opportunity fire on CAPS roll the die and on a 5 or 6 a unit is picked from the pool of hidden units and the action takes place. If you roll a 1 thru 4 the question mark is removed. The player can take another action with another player, as rolling for a question mark to be a unit should not be an action.

The same would be the case for an enemy unit attacking but in reverse. However, in this case, an action will have to be spent to fire upon or close assault a question marked hex. After the German rolls its dice to see if a hidden unit appears, roll a 5 or 6 and the unit appears and a 1 to 4 it was a false alarm.

As for hidden movement this would be unnecessary as it would be simulated by the random units and random placement.

As for the solitaire deck in the rulebook it was awkward and not realistic. Each side should have the cards it receives in the scenario and play them, accordingly.

Let me just say that playing wargames in a solitaire mode is important in a player to hone one’s skill at the game. Wargames are a bit more complex and require a lot of independent solo studying. It allows a player to not just refine tactics but to learn the rules, which are not often simple. I would put this game between Combat Commander and ASL Starter Kit 3 in complexity.

Now I am on to the armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Don,
You have some really good ideas here. I will play through a few games to test them.
Uwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DUMASCLUB wrote:
Let me just say that playing wargames in a solitaire mode is important in a player to hone one's skill at the game.

That may be true in games with perfect information, but in other games, I don't think solitaire play has any use other than learning the rules. It doesn't seem to me that the tactics which work against "hidden" units which are known to be in one of three places will be applicable against real hidden units which are controlled by an enemy player.

There was an example, either in the rules or in a forum thread here, where one player was using infantry to sweep through the woods to either side of a road in advance of his tank, because he thought a gun might be concealed there. That's the kind of tactic which would never occur to you against a gun which is known to be in one of three places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can replicate real tactics in any wargame and you can do that solo. You'll never go far wrong with that regardless of the rule system, so solo stuff lets you practice that...and of course you'll never get the arse with your opponent. It's much easier to play any wargame if you have a good grasp of strategy and tactics such as point/recon forces, flanking, reserves, localised superior firepower, defence in depth, it's all just as applicable solo as ftf.

Fog of war has limited uses solo but it depends alot on the mechanic of it. I haven't got the game yet but it's likely i'll go with a concealment system akin to ASL for hidden units, that works fine solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concealment system works very well with ASL. But ASL does have rules for hidden placement of units, which come into effect in some of the Pacific war scenarios.

As for solitaire rules being a necessary playable part of a Wargame, I would simply say that Wargames are a bit heavier than Eurogames both in rules and chrome and tactics. Good solitaire play allows players to learn the rules and try out some tactics before sitting face to face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DUMASCLUB wrote:
Let me just say that playing wargames in a solitaire mode is important in a player to hone one’s skill at the game.

This is true if you're playing other gamers who are doing the same thing. For myself, this is the exact reason for me not to play a game like this solo. My friends are not going to be playing this game except with me, if I cream them every time because I've honed my skills playing solitaire, playing solitaire will end up being the only way I can play it at all. I'd rather learn the game at about the same rate as my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool though that adjusting the cap system in COH will allow you to even the disparity of skill though. I reckon by default you should give your friends a cap advantage for even suggesting you might beat them too easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried General Petrov (Firefight 3) solitaire yesterday.

I used something similar to Don's system: Each hidden unit had three possible hexes- each one marked with one of three identical counters not being used (eg land mines).

Whenever the enemy player came within seeing distance of one of the three possible locations (or when I wanted to try to activate a hidden unit)you rolled a die. 1-2 = yes, that is where the unit is located, 3-6- remove the blank, and thyen next time the roll is 1-3 (because there will be only two possible locations.

For planningartillery I used six blank counters, with the actual artillery bombardment chosen by a die roll.

I have to say it didn't work very well. As the Germans I avoided where the bombardment might be coming (although one unit that was stunned copped it because it couldn't move.

As the Russians I kept rolling to activate a hidden unit as soon as I got a chance to fire in range at a non-cautious moving German unit. Consequently, by the end of the second turn, all the Russian units were exposed!

The result was a win for the Germans who killed poor old Petrov!

Not sure how to get over the issue of successfully playing with hidden units and artillery bombardment, unless you really twist the rules, such as by allowing the Russian to place an artillery bombardment, or expose a hidden unit in one of seven hexes, using CAPs as follows:

1 CAP = randomly place in one of the 6 hexes (determined by a die roll) around the hex you chose,

2 CAPS = as above, except with a "6" you place the artillery, exposed unit on the hex you want,

For each extra CAP spent, you can ignore the previous die roll and roll again and use that result.

Going to try that tonight.

While I do have chums who play board games (including my eldest son).. we don't get together that often and when we do, it's usually one of the following games they prefer:

Race for The Galaxy (Very good)
Totopoly (hard to get Waddington Horse Racing Game- brilliant!)
Scotland Yardninja
Tombrobot
Poker- which means I lose all my money usually coz I can't bluff!cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Boub
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Hi,

Is it me or CoH does not scale well to solitaire play ?

I am playing with the solo variant of the 020409 ruleset and overall, it is not that fun ; mainly for cards and hidden units reasons.

Maybe the game would benefit of some ad hoc solitaire firefights ?

BR,
Pierre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.