Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone let me know how many different sets there are from this game and/or point me towards a checklist. I see several checklists on this site in the file section, but wasn't sure how many different releases there are and also if figures from the starter set are included in one of those lists, etc, etc.

Thanks,
D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sloan
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically one set for each movie, plus Paths of the Dead and the Base Set, and then special figures such as Belrog, Treebeard etc. Find out more at http://www.snaggletoothgames.com/Lord_of_the_Rings_TMG_boost...

Figures from the starter set can also be found in the Base Set boosters, though you wouldn't find Frodo Wearing The Ring in anything but the starter set, as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your reply and info! I will check out that link tonight!

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptRavage pointed you in the right direction.

CptRavage wrote:

The SnaggleTooth Games web site is the best source of information regarding this "Combat Hex, Lord of the Rings: Tradeable Miniatures Game [LotR:TMG]" since the original producer, SaberTooth Games Inc. got bought out by GW and went belly-up. The few remaining loyal fans still lurk there and even gather at the FLGS in Oregonia, OH for a National Championship Tournament and annual reunion.

However just because I happen to have a list in front of me, I'll type up a quick list for your information and everyone's easy reference...

The Base Set (usually listed as BS-#'s) ............... 120 figures
The Fellowship of the Ring Set (FE-#'s) ............... 80 figures
The Two Towers Set (TT-#'s) ........................... 84 figures
The Path of the Dead Set (PD-#'s) ..................... 15 figures
The Return of the King Set (RK-#'s) ................... 82 figures
The Premium Line Set (PL-#'s) ......................... 19 figures
The Promotional Set (PR-#'s) .......................... 87 figures

Thus the TOTAL number of figures listed on the index is: 487 *however there were a few of them (i.e. PL-18, PL-19 and maybe PR-85, 86, & 87) that never made it to production; well at least I've never seen one.

The Starter Set did contain five PR figures (PR-04_Lurtz-white, PR-06_Nazgul-white, PR-16_Aragorn-white, PR-18_Frodo-white, PR-21_Frodo-wearing-the-ring-white) that were NOT available anywhere else, but are probably the MOST common figures around, simply because they were in every Starter Set. The other four characters in the Starter Set were standard issues from the Base Set boosters (BS-16, BS-25, BS-79, & BS-91).

All of the other PR figures had BLUE Sliders or Dials. These were handed out as prizes at FLGS tournaments and/or conventions or made available through magazine coupon mail-in offers, etc. The main named characters, called Heroes, came primarily with only Orange and Red sliders or dials with a few exceptions produced in a Purple variant (BS-47, BS-52, RK-16, PL-05, PL-06, & PL-07). The basic, nameless Soldier / Warrior figures were all produced in Orange, Red, and Purple versions, except for the PD-08 to PD-15 Oathbreakers which were only Orange and Red.

Well, I hope this was helpful. If you are thinking about starting a collection: happy hunting, being OOP some items are extremely rare and hard to find. IMHO: This is a *GREAT* game and you only need to pick up a Starter Set (still reasonably cheap) and enough extras for two opposing 2,000 point armies (about 20-30 figs with some duplicates) to fully enjoy the game as intended for hours of fun. BTW: the figures and mechanics work equally well on HeroScape Tiles and BattleLore Maps for dynamic terrain and scenario variations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John, thank you for adding all of that info here, that was some great stuff and it is a big help!

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sloan
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's cool stuff. Thanks.

Isn't Sabertooth games still around? I know they do mostly CCG's now. I know they did stop Combat Hex cry

Still my favourite game.

Edit for spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Boleen
United States
Northwest
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sabertooth Games is still around. They produce Universal Fighting System CCG and Warhammer CCG.

"Did you know..."

LOTR TMG was supposed to be the first of several lines of miniature games to use the "Combat Hex" rule set. An article in Scrye magazine shortly after the Base Set for LOTR was released featured figures for a Sci-Fi related game. The additional games disappeared very quickly and I have never heard anything more about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Boleen
United States
Northwest
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By the way, if you're familiar with the game Heroscape, the tiled terrain is perfect for LOTR TMG figures. I have made Heroscape versions of almost all of the TMG maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kboleen wrote:
Sabertooth Games is still around. They produce Universal Fighting System CCG and Warhammer CCG.

"Did you know..."

LOTR TMG was supposed to be the first of several lines of miniature games to use the "Combat Hex" rule set. An article in Scrye magazine shortly after the Base Set for LOTR was released featured figures for a Sci-Fi related game. The additional games disappeared very quickly and I have never heard anything more about it.

IMHO: The Combat Hex System is GREAT. It is a shame that went OOP. In my heart I still believe that the GW monolith had something to do with ending support for the existing product, halting production of new items, and interfering with distribution of the RK line, because it felt that it's mother-ship LotR:SBG was threatened by competition of a BETTER set of rules and mechanics.

There was a "Shonen Jump - Shaman King" set of Anime(?) figures produced, but I heard that the project was squashed because of legal squabbles between the designer and the suits at the parent Corp. I found some of these at an after market retailer and bought several at clearance prices, to use the bases (with wound & action dials) to build my own customized figures that are compatible with the LotR:TMG (a Dwarf Army of D&D mini characters). You might be able to still find some on eBay - cheap, or use the bases from the 8 figures in the original Base Set Starter Pack, which can be found at $3 - $4. Frodo lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.