Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Coordinator in charge of both the Board Game Events and the Board Game Library at Pacificon Game Exposition/ConQuest SF, I am interested in feedback from attendees about both what we did right and what could use improvement.

If you attended, please let me know, either here or my private e-mail, if you have any comments about the Board Game Area of the convention.

Thanks,
Kevin Ellingson
Senior Euro Board and Card Game Coordinator
Pacificon Game Exposition/ConQuest SF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
The game library was excellent! I'm glad to have the chance to thank those (including you, Kevin!) who contributed their games to the library. We made heavy use of it during the four days of the Con.

The only down side was that you had to hand in your driver's license in order to check out a game... and the only problem with that was that the library closed at 10 pm, so if you didn't check the game back in before then, you couldn't get your license back until the next day. And honestly, I don't know what you could do to improve that. Of course you want some security for the games, and of course nobody wants to be manning the library at 3 am just to hand licenses back to the few midnight gamers.

We also enjoyed the new venue, by the way. Never a problem finding an empty table to play at, never a problem finding parking. Once we sat down at a table in the hallway that had nice light but a rough wooden surface. A volunteer passed by, noticed us, and had a tablecloth provided within minutes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent convention Kevin! And the hotel was wonderful as well. Great venue. Only thing I can think of right now instead of keeping our ID cards would be to swipe a credit card as a purchase, and then rip it up/cancel when the game is returned. Not sure if this is possible, and it might be more trouble than it's worth. But, the borrower would not have to part with their ID/credit card. Just a thought.

Well done as always!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We really liked the game library and used it a lot. Unfortunately, it was way too far away from the official Open Gaming room which ultimately separated the few board gamers into two locations.

The hotel was a great choice: plenty of tables, great parking, decent layout of where the various gaming rooms were (not too much walking involved when trying to hunt down folks). The set-up for the flea market was a bit tight though. The aisles could have been wider.

Overall, it was a really enjoyable, fun event. Thanks for all the hard work you and the staff put in!

Btw, Kevin, thanks for teaching me Attika on the last day. Our game of Lunar Rails was also definitely memorable even though for different reasons. ; )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great location. With an IHOP, sandwich shop, bagel place, Round Table Pizza, coffee shop and chinese joint across the street who could ask for anything more. Cheap eats is what was missing from the previous location.

The only thing is that the merchant room seemed a little light this year. Hopefully someone will be working on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter von Tagen III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin -

I also enjoyed the con very much. Got to play both some new boardgames and some RPG, so I was in geek game heaven. I enjoyed the hotel and the fact that everything was on the same floor.

It would be nice to come up with a different way handle the library (which was great, with a fantastic selection). Only thing I can think of is to have a credit card number on record when you register and issue a chit. That chit becomes your library card.
You might also consider the placement of open gaming in relation to the game library. How about swapping where the flea market was with the room open gaming was in? That way you could also secure the room when setting up the flea market. Wider aisles would also be nice, as noted elsewhere in the thread. With the few tables it definitely could have been spread out a bit.
All that being said. I can't wait until next year.

Thanks!!
Walt3rd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.