Popular Tags: [View All]
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You absolutely MUST upgrade to Google Chrome.
I've never had a faster web surfing experience!

http://www.google.com/chrome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I just testified to this two threads back.

It's fast and full of new features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
PC Only... I may try it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Standards compliant: Check
Open Source: Check
Cross-platform: FAIL

Two out of three is nice but not quite good enough for actual use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
It is pretty fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Standards compliant: Check
Open Source: Check
Cross-platform: FAIL

Two out of three is nice but not quite good enough for actual use.

Compatible with my work's antivirus program: FAIL.

Apparently if you have a Symantec AV program (maybe even specific to just Endpoint), it doesn't work.

Hopefully this latter is just temporary.

And the cross-platform likely will be, too; since this is just a beta release, they may have just wanted to focus on one OS at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like being able to watch video using it and it not freeze or lock up (Firefox).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice so far.
It seems to be repairing itself as I type (images & flash that weren't showing to begin with, are starting to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Total crap. I tried about 10 sites, 3 of them were scrambled.

Uninstalling . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's faster than firefox 3, nice! But as long as google chrome doesn't support plugins and more customizable settings, I'm not switching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using it right now. Still love Firefox, but this is much faster. I really like the idea of separate processes and sandboxes. But I'm still a big supporter of Mozilla and hope that Firefox and Chrome can work together to make a superbrowser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Does seem pretty damn fast. I'll be giving it a go for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 1.6 GHz single-processor machine.

In IE, it takes a good 15 seconds to load a page from a productive site like Facebook or I Can Has Cheezburger.

Up in less than a second in Chrome.

I think I'm staying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fast. That's all it's got going for it.

No NoScript, Adblock, ContextSearch, Greasemonkey and a pile of other things I've come to depend on.

How the hell do I open my bookmarks? That's my primary mode of accessing sites. I don't type into the address bar much. It's all just pointing and clicking. Hell, I got to the Google Chrome download site by highlighting the words "Google Chrome" in this post and right clicking a new google search for those terms (that's probably an addon feature). I hardly ever type when I'm webserfing.

I'm all for minimalism (I've gutted firefox quite a bit), but not having a X (stop) button annoys me. I don't want to kill the whole tab, I just want to stop it from loading.

It's got a long way to go before I'll be using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Uninstalling . . .

Which sites were scrambled for you in Chrome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Uninstalling . . .

Yes. I'd be curious to see this for myself.

I've tried every site I know, which encompasses 25+ favorites, and not one glitch.

Another interesting point to any detractors:

READ: BETA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
No Mac Version. thumbsdown

No RSS Support thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, the addition of an "incognito" window is an interesting one.

But seriously though... The website says you can use it when shopping for gifts and stuff if you don't want websites to leave cookies or a browsing history.

gifts and stuff... Yeah, um okay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking it after trying it out for a few hours of browsing. It is noticeably faster than IE or Firefox, and their take on the homepage is pretty cool.

There have been a few very minor issues (highlighted paragraphs of text "bleeding" into adjacent columns on IMDB), but otherwise it looks very promising.

MusedFable wrote:

No NoScript, Adblock, ContextSearch, Greasemonkey and a pile of other things I've come to depend on.

How the hell do I open my bookmarks? That's my primary mode of accessing sites. I don't type into the address bar much. It's all just pointing and clicking. Hell, I got to the Google Chrome download site by highlighting the words "Google Chrome" in this post and right clicking a new google search for those terms (that's probably an addon feature). I hardly ever type when I'm webserfing.

I'm all for minimalism (I've gutted firefox quite a bit), but not having a X (stop) button annoys me. I don't want to kill the whole tab, I just want to stop it from loading.

CTRL-B (or selecting the option under the Controls menu with the wrench graphic) displays a toolbar with bookmarks. There's a stop button to the right of the URL entry; it turns into a "go" (triangle) button when a webpage isn't loading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, and you get to give Google full rights and ownership of everything you do on the internet if you use it.

What?

You didn't read the EULA? (I mean, you had to check 'I accept', so obviously you AGREE with it, but...)

Google Chrome's Eula wrote:
By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Yeah, and you get to give Google full rights and ownership of everything you do on the internet if you use it.

What?

You didn't read the EULA? (I mean, you had to check 'I accept', so obviously you AGREE with it, but...)

Google Chrome's Eula wrote:
By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services.

Um, I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think what that's saying is that you are giving them "full rights an ownership" of anything. You are just saying you give them permission to use what you do for promotional-related purposes, and nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools

No Adblock thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
CTRL-B (or selecting the option under the Controls menu with the wrench graphic) displays a toolbar with bookmarks. There's a stop button to the right of the URL entry; it turns into a "go" (triangle) button when a webpage isn't loading.

Thanks.

Google Chrome does let you search highlighted text, which is a feature I use frequently.

The only thing missing is Adblock.

It's got a few bugs to work out though...

Edit: The highlight search sucks because it only works for google search. Also, in order to get searches for other sites from the address bar you need to type the sites name and hit tab. That's lame. I have a little pull down menu in firefox with all my favorite sights search engines (BGG, Google, Dictionary, Wowhead, etc.).

Google Chrome needs some addons quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't reconfigure it, that little plus sign next to the tabs will take you to a preview tab which shows your 9 most visited sites, common searches you have made and a list of bookmarks that you've saved.

MusedFable wrote:

(...)

Edit: The highlight search sucks because it only works for google search. Also, in order to get searches for other sites from the address bar you need to type the sites name and hit tab. That's lame. I have a little pull down menu in firefox with all my favorite sights search engines (BGG, Google, Dictionary, Wowhead, etc.).

You can set the search engine you use, so if you wish to use something other than google, you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out of curiosity, why do you NEED adblock?

Chrome automagically prevents popup windows by suppressing them to the tab that generated them. You can manually allow them if you really want to, but you never see them. And when you close the tab, they are gone gone gone.

Also, popups cannot hijack your computer like they can in firefox. They have to play in the sandbox they are given and that is that.

The only other reason I can see for wanting adblock is slow load times, but Chrome solves that by forcing slow to load flash and animated images into a separate process, thus speeding up the whole affair.

Sure, those of you who use pure adblock will suddenly get inundated with the advertising world in static pages, but that's why the web is free, right?

Also, someone mentioned you can't have bookmarks, that isn't true, I have a bookmark bar that loaded from my firefox bookmark toolbar. To add and dock it type Ctrl B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.