Hide
20 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » General

Subject: What game is Stone Age like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt b
msg tools
I just got into board gaming..the only other game I have is Ticket to Ride. I was lucky enough to get Stone Age on the Pozyt deal. Now that I am starting a collection I don't want to get similar style games. What game is Stone Age like so that I don't buy a similar one. Thanks.

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is actually pretty unique with the dice rolling. If you mean the resource collecting, then The Pillars of the Earth is probably the most similar to Stone Age. Many different mechanics though, no dice. Maybe you would like it anyway!

These are just mentioned, but they are not similar to Stone Age at all except the resource collection:
Agricola - It is #1 here on boardgamegeek, and I love it, but if you don't want resource collecting, then you might want to wait a bit. Believe me, it's not at all like Stone Age.
Caylus - This is an amazing game, much much heavier than Stone Age, play is completely different, no dice. But it is a resource collection game...

Resource collection is probably the most used game mechanic in Eurogames, and all those games are so different. It will be easy not to get another Stone Age.

You might want to try Carcassonne, El Grande, orTigris & Euphrates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Stone Age is a "worker placement" game so it is "similar" in that vein to Pillars of the Earth, Cuba, Caylus, and Agricola, among others. However, they all play differently and could be worth owning in addition to SA. I have 4 of the 5 listed.

I like SA because it seems the lightest of the ones I listed. I have more fun and don't have to think too much. You are a bit more free to choose your path in SA than say PotE which feels very scripted to me. Caylus is much heavier and has been known to give me a headache once or twice before just trying to compete.

So it really depends on what other features you would like and if this similar feature of worker placement should prevent you from enjoying the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone age is a worker placement game. The games most like it are "Pillars of the Earth", Agricola and DeVinci. But PotE and Agricola are really good games, so if you really, really like Stone Age don't skip either one (especially Agricola) just because their similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Important similarity between Stone Age and Agricola: In both cases, increasing your work force increases your responsibility to feed them. I think this is a marvelous and sensible mechanism, and I love flexing it in different ways in the two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhat amazed Stone Age doesn't have a higher rating here on BGG. Like the others have said above, it's a light-hearted and easy to play game. It also doesn't shirk on the strategy, which all in all makes for a very entertaining and fun gaming experience for all levels of gamers.

The only thing I can think which might detract some people is the dice element. What I would say is the luck factor of dice rolling is somewhat mitigated by the sheer amount of dice rolling that every player has to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt b
msg tools
Is this a quasi Settlers? Settlers of Catan is on my short list of games to get, but will purchase a different game if they are similar.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattyb wrote:
Is this a quasi Settlers? Settlers of Catan is on my short list of games to get, but will purchase a different game if they are similar.

Matt

No, Stone Age is much much different than Settlers of Catan. Catan is heavy on players trading resources, while Stone Age is heavy on making crucial worker placement choices. You'd not be disappointed in having both, I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
Important similarity between Stone Age and Agricola: In both cases, increasing your work force increases your responsibility to feed them. I think this is a marvelous and sensible mechanism, and I love flexing it in different ways in the two games.

If by chance you happen to play these two games in sucession (which is what I did this past weekend), it can get confusing on the food requirements.

Agricola requires 2 food per family member (unless your most recent family member was born on the same round that ends with a harvest). Food is also more scarce, and is harder to accumulate.

Stone Age only requires one food per family member. Plus, food is easier to come by in Stone Age, as you can have unlimited hunters/gatherers. You can also get one wheat (reduces food requirement) no less than once every four turns (unless you suck).

They are both great games, and share some similar traits. However, I highly suggest that owning one game does not and should not preclude you from owning the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of games you might want to think about that are completely different from Stone Age are:

Carcassonne
Alhambra

These games are tile laying and very fun and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt b
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies. There are just so many games and choices. I know that I really want Carcassonne next, but I am not sure after that.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai Cernavin
Germany
Wonsheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mb
mattyb wrote:

Matt

They are different but you should still buy another game, because the biggest difference is that Stone Age is a great game and Settlers is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Madden
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with several people above that Stone Age is similar to Pillars of the Earth, but we in our family much prefer Stone Age, so you've got the right game there.

As for Settlers, I think it is quite a good game (unlike the poster above), but we always play the Cities & Knights expansion, which makes it much better. That, of course, would cost you extra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Straub
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattyb wrote:

They are similar in weight, but not game play. I much prefer Stone Age. IMO Settlers has tons of unavoidable luck and Stone Age has luck, but much less.

In Stone Age you choose what face-up card to buy. In Settlers you pick the top card off the face-down deck.

In Stone Age you decide to increase your odds per resource with additional meeples. In Settlers the resources odds are fixed for the entire game.

In Stone Age each round of placements begins anew, while in Settlers your poor placement at the beginning of the game will haunt you until the end.

That said, you should try both. They're both very good games and some of my friends can't get enough Settlers, but I prefer other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin hoffer
United States
Los Angeles
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Settlers is a must buy. It's the reason any of us are playing these Euro games to begin with. Agricola is for GAMER-gamers. I could play it (haven't yet) but there is NO WAY I am going to teach that to my non-gamer friends, where as Settlers of Catan, STONE AGE, Carcassonne, are all games I am able to talk my intelligent, but non-hardcore-gamer friends and family into playing. And the trade is the central fun part of Settlers, Stone Age is about getting stuff before your opponents with some light strategy, and Carcassonne is the no-setup, easy to learn, hard to master tile game.

They are all beautiful and simple. But Stone Age has:

Fun Theme
Easy rules
BEAUTIFUL boards
Fun wood bits (without too much stuff to set up)

BoardGameGeek is rating based on pure gaming, hence Peurto Rico and Agricola's high ratings. Lots of stuff to set up, but tons of replayability and LOTS of brain gaming. Not much talking between turns, which I don't like anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fidel77 wrote:
They are different but you should still buy another game, because the biggest difference is that Stone Age is a great game and Settlers is not.

I would post a witty retort to this, but I'm laughing too damn hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai Cernavin
Germany
Wonsheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mb
franklincobb wrote:
Fidel77 wrote:

I would post a witty retort to this, but I'm laughing too damn hard.

Yeah well to each his own. If Stone Age had some kind of Lord of the Rings theme it would be a sure 10 in your book I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you should look for Mykerinos next.
Totally different than whats been mentioned.
45 minutes, no luck, great strategy.
Has an expand if you like

Santiago is also excellent with 4-5 players. Again quite different with an auction and a bribe mechanic that is a blast.

Re. Carcassone, maybe consider Carc Hunters and Gatherers? Better scoring rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~ ~
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Matt

Welcome to the world of board gaming! This can be a VERY addicting hobby. I think your next choice should also factor in who you are playing with.

If the folks you are playing with are fairly new then I echo the recommendation for Settlers of Catan. A lot people new to gaming get hooked by games like Settlers (and T2R) once they are familiar with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.