BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Poll: Meditation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Poll: Meditation and Contemplation
Although meditation is most strongly associated with Zen and other forms of Buddhism, nearly every religion has some sort of meditative or contemplative tradition.
1. What is your opinion of meditation or contemplation? For purposes of this question, limit your answer to consideration within your own religious beliefs.
An amazing practice that would transform the world and lead to profound insight and understand, if only more people did it.
A great, thoroughly worthwhile thing to engage in.
Most people that share my beliefs would probably benefit from it.
Too many variables; it depends on the specific method and practice, even within my own belief structure.
Maybe good for some, but not for most.
A waste of time.
Actively evil.
I don't know enough about it to have an opinion.
2. Do you practice any sort of meditation or contemplation? (Defined here as regularly, quietly eliminating distractions and focusing your mind on one thing [or no things] only, for extended lengths of time [5+ minutes].)
Yes, multiple times per day.
Yes, daily.
Yes, a few times per week.
Yes, a few times per month.
Yes, once per month.
Yes, less than once per month.
No, but I'd definitely like to.
No, but I'm maybe curious to try it out and see for myself.
No, I have no interest.
No, I am actively opposed to meditation/contemplation, even within my own tradition.
3. A number of studies have found both physical and mental health benefits to regular meditation in any tradition. Does knowing this change your attitude towards meditation.
Yes, I view it more favorably now.
No, I still view it positively.
No, I still have a neutral view.
No, I still view it negatively.
Yes, I view it more negatively now.
4. What benefits do you think meditation generally offers to its practitioners?
Spiritual benefits.
Spiritual benefits, only if practiced within the right spiritual tradition.
Psychological benefits.
Physiological benefits.
No benefits.
      47 answers
Poll created by dysjunct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Is analysis paralysis a form of meditation?
Let me meditate on that for a while, I'll get back to you..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
How come the vote counts don't add up to 100%? Sounds like how they count the ballots in Florida.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Okay, I'm curious to know why someone would view meditation LESS favorably after finding out that it has clinically proven health benefits. How, exactly, is that a bad thing? Mr. Anonymous Poll respondent, are you willing to come forward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Okay, I'm curious to know why someone would view meditation LESS favorably after finding out that it has clinically proven health benefits. How, exactly, is that a bad thing? Mr. Anonymous Poll respondent, are you willing to come forward?

Maybe it's just somebody with an odd sense of humor.

Edit: For the record, no, I do not have such a sense of humor--at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, meditation just helps me relax.

Meditation during sex is fabulous. (I realise some will snicker, as I did when I first heard this, but trust me: it's as great as the discovery of peanut butter.)

I have on very few occasions had meditative experiences which shocked/changed me. Things happened that I could not explain, could not have predicted, and am (in hindsight) very glad did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.