Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time at the Penny Arcade Expo this year. I played a number of games in the tabletop annex and at my hotel. I spent time playing and socializing with friends and family. My favorite experiences of the con came from teaching games to groups trying to learn from manuals. Friday evening I taught Ca$h 'n Gun$ to two different groups, one of whom didn't even have the rulebook. Saturday afternoon I brought another group learning Agricola to where I had my own copy set up and taught everyone at once.

At 1AM Sunday morning I taught Puerto Rico to a group that had been reading the rules in preparation for their first game. On the last day of the show I helped one gamer find a group then taught them Power Grid. Each group seemed amazed that I would do such a thing without joining them and were all very appreciative. It was quite gratifying.

So, farewell PAX. Thanks for all the memories and another good year. See you next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what was the board gaming like up at PAX? I am hoping to go next year AND hoping that the board gaming area is alive and flourishing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As one of the beneficiaries of Greg's tutelage, a very sincere "thanks" on behalf of all. Greg is extraordinarily generous with his time and it's much appreciated. Plus he's darn good (playing and teaching).

Looking forward to an Agricola rematch at Gamestorm. I'm hoping to bring a Wenatchee contingent this year..

I only spent 1 day at PAX, but the boardgaming seemed to be fairly well-supported. It's definitely low man on the totem pole, as compared to the vid games, but there is a reasonable game's library and a fair number of people playing. If you have zero interest in vid games though....not sure it would be my first choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a floor dedicated to board gaming in the tabletop annex. They had a pretty decent library ranging from Agricola to Vinci. It was generally pretty busy. I spotted several games of Agricola, StarCraft: The Board Game, Munchkin, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, A Game of Thrones (first edition), Memoir '44 and quite a few others that I can't recall at the moment. They also had tournaments for Carcassonne, Catan and Puerto Rico as well as others. Saturday evening the board game floor was packed and I understand they eventually had to turn some people away because of insufficient space. For board gaming at a primarily video game oriented convention it was quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckles2000 wrote:
As one of the beneficiaries of Greg's tutelage, a very sincere "thanks" on behalf of all. Greg is extraordinarily generous with his time and it's much appreciated. Plus he's darn good (playing and teaching).

Looking forward to an Agricola rematch at Gamestorm. I'm hoping to bring a Wenatchee contingent this year..

Thanks Mike, looking forward to it already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tabletop area was a lot of fun, and the game check-out room was decently stocked. At almost all times of the day and night one could walk around and see games going on - saw a lot of people teaching Agricola and StarCraft at various tables. There was also a lot of Puerto Rico, Arkham Horror, and the big-box FFG games.

Saturday night, after the exhibit hall closed (somewhere around 6 PM), the place got JAMMED. Absolutely massive amounts of people. The line to check out a game went out of the check-out room and down the hallway. I'm not surprised (as mentioned above) that they had to stop letting people in.

There were tournaments for Settlers, Carcassonne, Munchkin, Citadels, Zombies!, Battlestar Galactica, RoboRally, Twilight Imperium, Puerto Rico, and more (I won the Puerto Rico tournament).

While hanging around waiting for the Puerto Rico tournament to start I got asked "Hey, wanna play (X)? We need one more." about half a dozen times - everyone was very friendly and it didn't seem like there was a problem for people who wanted to play to find a game with a spot.

All in all, a very fun time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great con. I had more fun at PAX than I did at GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.