Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my kids are back to school tomorrow and now comes the part I loathe:

packing their lunches.

Well, they can pack 'em, but I have to buy the stuff to put in 'em.

You know, back before I was a parent, I had visions of how I would pack delightful, nutritious lunches for my kids and they would eat all of it and love it.

Well, it ain't that way, lemme tell ya!!

So, I'm wondering if you all have any lunch box suggestions for me. What do you eat in your lunch?

I mean, other than bacon, of course!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What your kids need is some...

Jatoha wrote:

Oh. Nevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I think maybe you meant to post this on www.lunchbox.com instead of www.boardgamegeek.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know much about packing lunches myself but when it snows make sure they are wearing their...

...Everbody ready? ... on three...1,2,3... 200 YAHOO BOOTS!

Ya got 100 kids, right? Or does it just seem like that when you're packing lunches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Mandarins have just gone out of season so that has struck off one fruit for Daughter the Younger.

She loves bananas except when they are in her lunch box shake

She keeps requesting Jam sandwiches but I remind her that her name is not Francis.

A cut up orange is dodgy, because if it leaks juice then she doesn't want to eat anything.

She asked for a cheese sandwich recently but then didn't like the types of cheese that I provided for the next two days.

Cold pasta from the night before sans sauce usually works.

Granny Smith apples are usually accepted.

School has a rubbish free lunch policy which means that I hope the kids bring the containers back!

Salami sandwiches are Daughter the Elder's favourite. Trying to get her to eat any other sandwich is a challenge. Daughter the Younger usually has peanut butter or salami.

Strawberries are popular, but they don't travel well. Grapes are also popular is small doses.

They both like watermelon but it also doesn't travel well and I am not a fan of pre preparing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Imperial Mandarins have just gone out of season so that has struck off one fruit for Daughter the Younger.

She loves bananas except when they are in her lunch box shake

She keeps requesting Jam sandwiches but I remind her that her name is not Francis.

A cut up orange is dodgy, because if it leaks juice then she doesn't want to eat anything.

She asked for a cheese sandwich recently but then didn't like the types of cheese that I provided for the next two days.

Cold pasta from the night before sans sauce usually works.

Granny Smith apples are usually accepted.

School has a rubbish free lunch policy which means that I hope the kids bring the containers back!

Salami sandwiches are Daughter the Elder's favourite. Trying to get her to eat any other sandwich is a challenge. Daughter the Younger usually has peanut butter or salami.

Strawberries are popular, but they don't travel well. Grapes are also popular is small doses.

They both like watermelon but it also doesn't travel well and I am not a fan of pre preparing it.

A suggestion for watermelon... take a small knife and slice it off the husk. Put it in the freezer wrapped up in wax paper and after about a half hour it'll be good for a while more than just still on the husk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

A suggestion for watermelon... take a small knife and slice it off the husk. Put it in the freezer wrapped up in wax paper and after about a half hour it'll be good for a while more than just still on the husk.

Interesting, however wax paper = rubbish, husk = something that they could put in the compost bins at school but invariably put back into their lunch boxes which makes them wet and slimy by the time they get home shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
my kid doesn't eat (the younger one does though). not sure how he survives, but now that he's in kindergarten, we've had to start weighing him to see if he is eating any lunch at all. his definition of eat and mine are not too similar it appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I fix the lunches every morning for my kids. It's usually peanut butter and honey sandwich for my daughter (and sometimes some habanero cheese chunks in a bag), peanut butter and jelly for my son, and then they each get some sort of fruit (grapes, apple, plum, orange, etc.)

On a rare occasion they get ham sandwiches.

Pretty boring stuff and yes...it's the big drag of the kids going back to school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are doing it wrong.

When I started first grade, I was shown where the bread & peanut butter etc. was kept, and told that if I wanted to eat lunch, I knew how to make it myself.

Incidentally, it was around that time that I stopped eating lunch.

(Well, not always. There was this table in the middle of the cafeteria where kids could put any food they didn't want, and the poor--or in my case, slothful--kids could take what they wanted. Every freakin' day, some kid put a peanut-butter-and-butter sandwich up there. Who makes such an abomination? On white bread, too! I never saw who it was, but I grabbed that thing every single day--it sure beat fruit.)

So, my point is, you have no idea what they're eating at school, so you might as well send them with nothing. Builds character, I tell you.

That reminds me of a weird lunch-related story my aunt told me... she used to make my cousin a nice lunch every day. One day, on her way past his room, she smelled something strange... She followed the odor into his closet; she didn't see was was causing it, so she dug around a bit and found a suitcase. Upon opening it, she found every sack lunch she'd made for him so far that year. He had been bringing them back home uneaten every day and hiding them. Did he not like them? Was he saving them for some elaborate escape plan? I don't think she ever found out why he did that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayMe1 wrote:
I think maybe you meant to post this on www.lunchbox.com instead of www.boardgamegeek.com.

Huh? there are other websites??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not alone.

My kids make their own PB & Js. They eat that every. single. day. I get sick thinking of it.

Sometimes one of them will say, "can't we have something else?" and I'll say "sure! how 'bout x, y or z??"

and they say, "ug, no thanks." and they get out the JIF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my daughter this year:

Modified Elena Ruth sandwich - Honey Roasted Turkey and strawberry jelly on a multigrain sandwich bun.

Peanut butter granola bar (South Beach Diet 100 calorie bar)
Peach Yogurt
Fruit - usually a banana, or no sugar added applesauce

She likes peaches, but not in her lunch box.
Drink is 100% juice blend or cafeteria-purchased milk

Last year was Peanut BUtter & Jelly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Interesting, however wax paper = rubbish, husk = something that they could put in the compost bins at school but invariably put back into their lunch boxes which makes them wet and slimy by the time they get home shake

Fraser, are you trying to tell me that you aren't able to utilize Ziploc technology for school lunches? I mean, I want to help the environment too, but don't take my Ziplocs away from me! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
We let our kids decide if they want to buy the school lunch (daughter), or make their own (son). In both cases, they have to choose healthy items.

In the case of school lunches, we have spies among the cafeteria ladies who tell us if our daughter is making good choices. For our son, he makes healthy sandwiches of different kinds, then uses some pre-packaged foods, some fresh foods, with fruits, nuts, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
I mean, I want to help the environment too, but don't take my Ziplocs away from me! angry

I have to agree, as much as I love mama earth, don't you have to have a lunch box the size of a suitcase to fit all the reusable containers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites from pre-school through first graqde were either an apple, cored and filled with peanut butter and raisins, or a cream cheese and jelly sandwich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember eatting out of the hot lunch line all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
We have some issues with lunches. Our daughter has some tree-nut allergies and does not like peanut butter, so there is no nut-butter and jelly option. Oh, she'll go for a bagel with just jelly of course (Hello, Francis!) but nothing else.

So, what she usually gets is said bagel, barbecued chicken (three days of the week, after we make our weekly round of that food), some cheese crackers, and fruit (blueberries, watermelon, canteloupe, muscadines).

What puzzles me is that so many people pack a lunch for school. We always, always got hot lunch from the school cafeteria. What happened to the good ol' days of walking through the line, getting your food (much like on M*A*S*H), and eating it? There were no options, just one meal for all. And we all ate it. What's gone wrong with the world?

We'll have it even tougher when The Younger gets into school. He is allergic to virtually everything (but not the severe reactions his sister has)--eggs, soy, possibly wheat, peanuts.

And about this trash policy... How is one supposed to pack a lunch without a paper towel or wax paper or a ziplock baggie? Actually, that's just me talking. My wife packs things in those fake tupperware containers you can purchase in the grocery store, so I guess there is no "rubbish." I, of course, put things in baggies and tin foil. I get that some companies are going green with real plates in the break room and no paper plates or plasticware allowed in, but schools? That's a bit tough to take, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate figuring out what to put in my kids' lunches as well. Right now I'm giving them sub sandwiches, fruit, trail mix and Ritz crackers with peanut butter. This lady goes to an insane effort with her kid's lunch. check out her blog:

http://www.veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness I only had 1 year of school lunches to pack before my brother-in-law moved back to his parents. We have a different issue here, most schools have peanut bans because of allergies and depending on the class the child is in there may be other food bans, i.e. eggs, fish, shellfish, other kinds of nuts this can make it very difficult for the PB addicted child.

What I did was sit down with Cole on a weekly basis and plan out his lunch, and grocery shopped based on that. I made the main (i.e. sandwich) then he had to pack the rest which consisted of 1 fruit, 1 dairy (yoghurt or cheese), and 1 treat (selected from a plastic container in the cupboard). The treat container contained things like granola bars, cheese and cracker packages, and fruit roll ups.

I came up with this system after finding out that he was not eating his lunches at school and basically just throwing them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
SusanRoz wrote:
I hate figuring out what to put in my kids' lunches as well. Right now I'm giving them sub sandwiches, fruit, trail mix and Ritz crackers with peanut butter. This lady goes to an insane effort with her kid's lunch. check out her blog:

http://www.veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the link. While the presentation was beyond what I'd probably do, I didn't consider it all that insane. She is, after all, vegan. And that means you go to quite an effort just to put food on the table regularly.

I also liked the links to the lunchbox web sites.

Which brings up the question: what kind of lunch box/bag do you send your kids to school with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We encourage hot lunches.
Otherwise, they are free to pack their own with some minimum nutrional guidelines (must have fruit and/or veggie and something that has protein in it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:

Have you considered deep fried pork belly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Well, thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not alone.

My kids make their own PB & Js. They eat that every. single. day. I get sick thinking of it.

Sometimes one of them will say, "can't we have something else?" and I'll say "sure! how 'bout x, y or z??"

and they say, "ug, no thanks." and they get out the JIF.

I ate PB&J for the first two years of HS, because I'd just gotten a new Stepmother whose cooking I didn't like (she came to us a vegetarian, lol, OH the changes she would make)...so PB&J was our compromise.

I was quite happy with my strawberry jelly, every single day. Never got tired of it.

Eventually, we made inroads into each other's food habits, she got me off whitebread and introduced me to the joys of mustard on a turkey sandwich... we broke her of the aforementioned vegetarianism, and introduced her to the joys of meat (although the things she did to steak, when she was trying to be nice to us, would make a brave man cry.)

For the record: of course I could have made my own lunches at this point, and often did... but she was up early, and took it upon herself to make me a lunch most days. I think it was the first of many peace-offerings, and all of them worked. Eventually. These days, I recognize her for the wonderful woman that she is, and how good she was to my father.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.