Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is probably a silly question but I can't quite make out the answer in the rules. The English rules say:

"Play continues until all family members have been placed. A player may only ever place one Family member at a time. Each action space can only be used by one Person in a round."

Now does this mean:

1. That once a family member from any players' family has taken an action that action is no longer available for the round?

1A) and, if so: does the "take 1 grain" and "plow 1 field" box count as one action space or do each of those constitute their own spaces?

2. That once a family member has been placed from a player's family, THAT player cannot place a family member there again that round?

The reason for asking is that, it seems to me, once a player's family grows past 2, in even a 2-player game, action spaces will get filled quite fast severely limiting what players can do, if my interpretation in #1 above is the right one.

The rules otherwise are very clear but I'm about to play a solo game and then teach my wife so I want to be very clear.

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means what you think it means. If any family member (wooden disc) is placed on an action, that is the last time that action can be used for that round. Remember that for each phase you will turn over a phase card and that will also have an action.

The take 1 grain is an action. The plow 1 field is another action.

Sometimes a box will contain two actions listed. If it says, "Take action 1 and/or action 2" then you can can take either action or both in any order. If an action says, "Action 1 also action 2" then you must do action 1 and optionally you may do action 2. If an action box says, "Take action 1 and action 2" then you must take both actions in that order.

See this discussion for some very interesting rules...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/332022
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wonderful - thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning 'running out of action spaces'...

One action space is added each turn.

Family growth doesn't appear until possibly round 5.
FGWOR doesn't appear until possibly round 12.

So it's imposible to run out of things to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
It means what you think it means.

"Inconceivable!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
Tompy wrote:

"Inconceivable!!!"

Surely the family Growth (with or without room) is Conceivable, and means just what it says?

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 10 available actions before the game starts in a 2p game, 14 in 3p, and 16 in 4p and 5p. So we get:

Rnd A2 A3 A4 A5
1 11 15 17 17
2 12 16 18 18
3 13 17 19 19
4 14 18 20 20
5 15 19 21 21
6 16 20 22 22
7 17 21 23 23
8 18 22 24 24
9 19 23 25 25
10 20 24 26 26
11 21 25 27 27
12 22 26 28 28
13 23 27 29 29
14 24 28 30 30

Rnd = round
A# = number of actions in a #-player game

Bold numbers: From now on there are enough actions for all of the family members in the game. Of course, there are actions that require to be able to do them, like:

occupation (from start/additional in 3p/4p/5p game),
build huts/stables (from start),
sow/bake (stage I),
improvement (stage I),
fences (stage I),
renovation (stage II/VI),
family growth (stage II/V).

This is 9 spaces in a 2p game, and 10 such spaces in a 3p/4p/5p game. If we assume that no player ever will be able to do one of these actions, and in regard of the time these actions might be available earliest (worst case scenario), this give us the following chart:

Rnd A2 A3 A4 A5
1 8 11 13 13 (sow/bake)
2 8 11 13 13 (improvement)
3 8 11 13 13 (fences)
4 9 12 14 14 (sheep)
5 9 12 14 14 (family growth)
6 9 12 14 14 (renovation)
7 10 13 15 15 (stone)
8 11 14 16 16 (vegetables)
9 12 15 17 17 (wild boar)
10 13 16 18 18 (stone)
11 14 17 19 19 (cattle)
12 14 17 19 19 (family growth)
13 15 18 20 20 (plow/sow)
14 15 18 20 20 (renovate)

Yes, theoretically, you are able to run out of actions if all players are playing contra-productive and won't be taking the resources needed to get one of those actions mentioned above AND if they manage to all get past their 2 starting family members. As there is currently no way to accomplish that and as the game is not designed to be fool-proof, you can easily say:

You'll NEVER EVER run out of actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
Tompy wrote:

"Inconceivable!!!"

Surely the family Growth (with or without room) is Conceivable, and means just what it says?

Ed

Apparently no one got the joke.

In "The Princess Bride", Vizini (played by Wallace Shawn) says the word "Inconceivable" on a regular and annoying basis. In response, Indigo Montoya (played by Mandy Patinkin) finally says at one point, "You keep saying that word. I no think it means what you think it means."

Tompy said "it means what you think it means", which is word for word verbatim from Indigo's comment, only reversed because the original poster actually got it right.

I was only jesting by saying "Inconceivable", hoping someone would reply "You said that word. I no think it means what you think it means."

Get it?

Hm...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
There are 10 available actions before the game starts in a 2p game, 14 in 3p, and 16 in 4p and 5p. So we get:

Rnd A2 A3 A4 A5
1 11 15 17 17
2 12 16 18 18
3 13 17 19 19
4 14 18 20 20
5 15 19 21 21
6 16 20 22 22
7 17 21 23 23
8 18 22 24 24
9 19 23 25 25
10 20 24 26 26
11 21 25 27 27
12 22 26 28 28
13 23 27 29 29
14 24 28 30 30

Rnd = round
A# = number of actions in a #-player game

Bold numbers: From now on there are enough actions for all of the family members in the game. Of course, there are actions that require to be able to do them, like:

occupation (from start/additional in 3p/4p/5p game),
build huts/stables (from start),
sow/bake (stage I),
improvement (stage I),
fences (stage I),
renovation (stage II/VI),
family growth (stage II/V).

This is 9 spaces in a 2p game, and 10 such spaces in a 3p/4p/5p game. If we assume that no player ever will be able to do one of these actions, and in regard of the time these actions might be available earliest (worst case scenario), this give us the following chart:

Rnd A2 A3 A4 A5
1 8 11 13 13 (sow/bake)
2 8 11 13 13 (improvement)
3 8 11 13 13 (fences)
4 9 12 14 14 (sheep)
5 9 12 14 14 (family growth)
6 9 12 14 14 (renovation)
7 10 13 15 15 (stone)
8 11 14 16 16 (vegetables)
9 12 15 17 17 (wild boar)
10 13 16 18 18 (stone)
11 14 17 19 19 (cattle)
12 14 17 19 19 (family growth)
13 15 18 20 20 (plow/sow)
14 15 18 20 20 (renovate)

Yes, theoretically, you are able to run out of actions if all players are playing contra-productive and won't be taking the resources needed to get one of those actions mentioned above AND if they manage to all get past their 2 starting family members. As there is currently no way to accomplish that and as the game is not designed to be fool-proof, you can easily say:

You'll NEVER EVER run out of actions.

Nice chart. Now my brain hurts. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
Ed_the_Red wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
Tompy wrote:

"Inconceivable!!!"

Ed

In "The Princess Bride", Vizini (played by Wallace Shawn) says the word "Inconceivable" on a regular and annoying basis. In response, Indigo Montoya (played by Mandy Patinkin) finally says at one point, "You keep saying that word. I no think it means what you think it means."

Tompy said "it means what you think it means", which is word for word verbatim from Indigo's comment, only reversed because the original poster actually got it right.

I was only jesting by saying "Inconceivable", hoping someone would reply "You said that word. I no think it means what you think it means."

Get it?

Hm...shake

I got the reference, yes, but thought just repeating the original line would be a bit anodyne; however I rather liked the oppositional concatenation of Inconceivable and Family Growth and decided, in my whimsical way, to draw attention to that instead. Your mileage on whether this was funny or not may of course vary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
Ed_the_Red wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
Tompy wrote:

"Inconceivable!!!"

Ed

Get it?

Hm...shake

I got the reference, yes, but thought just repeating the original line would be a bit anodyne; however I rather liked the oppositional concatenation of Inconceivable and Family Growth and decided, in my whimsical way, to draw attention to that instead. Your mileage on whether this was funny or not may of course vary!

Oh, I think I get it now. You're British.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:

Oh, I think I get it now. You're British.

You say that as if it's a good thing!
surprise
Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.