Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Dickerson
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For our first game, my friend and I decided to import the Battle for Lake George from Clash for a Continent. For those not familiar with the fight, the British have an established position near Lake George from which they sent out nearly half of their available force to reinforce nearby Fort Edward. It was remarked at the time that "if they were to be killed, they were too many. If they are to fight, they are too few"

The battle on the game begins when the column was caught on both sides by French and Indian forces under cover of the forest. I launched my attack at the head of the column while atempting to circle my forces behind the British to cut it off. Due to a brilliant delaying action fought by the British regular at the head of the column, and a lack of movement points on my die rolling, he was able to blunt the attack long enough to extricate the bulk of his force back to his line. The VP level at this stage was +4 to the French, but you couldn't help but get the feeling a big opportunity had been lost.

By the time we got to turn 9, I had pressed some of my French to the main British line where the artillery came into play. Discretion being the better part of valor, turns 10-18 were spent forming the French line under cover of the forest opposite the entrenchments.

Turn 19 ended up being the turning point. With a max movement roll, I sent the French vanguard forward. His artillery engaged, hit my infantry and killed one of my leaders. Now handicapped by a -1 on my movement, the next 2 turns were spent in a slugging match when he popped my other leader.

Turns 22 and 23 were spent in in a last gasp to try and bridge the line. At one point, I was able to push one British unit off the line, but couldn't follow it up before he moved up another unit. We called it at that point as being obvious that there was nothing else that could be reasonably expected.

RESULT:
The French lost 3 regular army, 1 militia and both leaders. The British lost 5 militia units and all of it's Indian units, but held the field and never had it's line breached.

IN THE REAL WORLD:
The game actually more or less mirrored the actual battle, right down to the French losing both of their capable leaders (Dieskau and de Saint-Pierre). It will be fun to replay to see what could have been (if the French can cut off the British, which I find unlikely with a well handled British force, or if the French leaders can avoid the golden BB)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review. As a german, I´m happy to own one "Hold the line" and I can´t wait to try it out at the coming weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools

A thumbs up for the title. Best-looking lake in the U.S.!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.