Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

Quick summary: This expansion ratchets up the difficulty level of the original game. I love the fact that the game is harder, but some players may shy away from that. Two traitors is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seriously considering moving to this format rather than my written reviews. Thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the video because you can show the pieces, the gameboard, etc. It gives the review perspective and satisfies the curiosity about the bits.

--James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
I'm seriously considering moving to this format rather than my written reviews. Thoughts on this?

Definitely. I love video reviews and tutorials. The shorter, the better, though I certainly understand that some need to be pretty lengthy to cover everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Pong IP
Hong Kong
Lai Chi Kok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am holding different views. I like paragraphs because I can easily read those paragraphs that are important or relevant. And I can easily review those paragraphs / sections later when I need it. I can refer to the image section for bits / components. (sometimes, the resolution of video is so low that components can't be viewed clearly) Even though Internet is faster than before, waiting for the streaming to a particular period may take a while during peak time.

In addition, listening is more difficult to foreign language speakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
All streaming video is blocked at my work so while I'm sure it looks great, I'm S.O.L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:

Meh. Your written reviews go into more detail and are a lot more useful imho. The video ones feature difficult to discern details (low quality video meaning closeups of the cards don't work the way you think they're working; too blurry!), and you tend to skip all over the place instead of doing a nice, coherent, step-by-step review. "Oh yeah, I almost forgot..." "I forgot to mention earlier..." etc. It's nice seeing the game components along with the words, but I can look in the galleries for pictures (better quality pictures than the blurry video ones too). So if you switch to this format I'd start skipping your reviews. That's my 2 cents. Sorry.

Edit: The one thing I did like about your video review(s) is you tend to be more candid about what you like and dislike about the game. If you stay with written reviews, it would be nice to see that candidness translate better and more often to the written word too. Normally you'd do "one-liners", highlighted in red; in the video you mentioned several times where a particular part of the expansion worked and where it didn't work, and for what type of people it worked or didn't work. That, imho, was the most useful part of this whole review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, while watching video reviews is certainly fun, at the end of the day, I find that written reviews are more useful and enables you to go into more depth and as others have pointed out, makes it possible for readers to skim to the parts of the review they are particularly interested in.
Great job in both formats, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X

Some
msg tools
I think short planned videos of various aspects of a game would be great.

You could show components, victory conditions and setup in one review. The next video could show a game turn in detail, and another video might show how the interaction of the game works and anything else you might throw in to help others understand and learn the game.

It would be great to see about 3 or 4 videos in a walk-through format of a game from out of the box, game start to game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tom - I'm quite liking these video reviews and I find them really useful for picking up the key information I want to know about a game.

My question would be though - what level of experience does a person need to find them really useful? I'm by no means a gaming guru but having rated over 500 games and read countless rulebooks, I think I have the core knowledge of a wide range of games to read between the lines of what you may omit in a video review.

How hard are they to potentially access as a newbie? I'm not sure.

My recent reviews have really gone for the super detailed approach and I know that this results in many people not reading the whole work, instead they'll jump to the piece that is of most value.

But therein I think lies the value of the written word. It is easier to be thorough and allow people to take from it what they will.

I really think that the video medium requires a whole different planning approach to ensure that the detail is there and that the review doesn't leave gaps of info or result in a lack of sequential structure as Dianne (I think) intimates.

I know what I'm trying to say...hope it came across.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Hi Tom - I love these video reviews of yours. You are a great communicator and your videos are just dripping with your enthusiasm for gaming - so that makes them alot of fun to watch. That combination can really help coax someone to play who might not otherwise.

There's lots of text reviews available but very few videos. I think the availability of video reviews will help grow the hobby much more than text reviews. Having someone explain a game to you is often alot easier to digest than trying to read about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom!
How about a hybrid format, starting with text, following your usual format, but reserving component review, and what you REALLY think about the game, the red text, and your closing comments, for a video?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only use written reviews. I hate video reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Goulart
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom!
I really liked this video review! I think it's a great format for reviews since we can all see the pieces, cards and bits you mention. It also helps to connect to particular sections you're reviewing - like when you mention the seven witches.

The review itself helped me out a lot: at the moment I was going to buy the core SoC game I didn't know whether or not to go ahead and pick up the expansion with it, but after viewing your review I think it is more geared towards groups and players who already feel confident in beating the game - so I decided it could wait a little bit while my groups gets started with the core game and with the money I saved I bought another game (TTR:europe).

I'm very excited to play the core SoC (it's on its way here!) and I plan to pick up Merlin's Company as soon as my group is ready for the next step in SoC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Video reviews are the best my friend. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.