Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
We settled down for 2 games of TTR: Nordic and the two games were actually drastically different from each other.

Game 1 - Frustration gets to the wife.

In this game, my wife and I had routes that greatly overlapped. I received shorter destination tickets to start, so I aggressively kept all 5. Seeing that I kept all 5, my wife thought that she should keep all of hers even though she had longer tickets (worth 17+). During the game, we kept on taking each others routes and blocking each other we thought it was the design of this variant. My wife also had the misfortune of never getting any locomotives (except maybe one or two). In the end, she still made 4 out of 5 routes, but was so frustrated about getting blocked, she refused to count up the final score, thinking she had lost. (I hate this about her boardgaming, but to have a gaming partner, I permit it, which is perhaps encouraging this behavior). I had a 10 point lead in route score. And since we never counted up the tickets, we'll never know. I did finish all five of my routes to her 4, so in a sense it was a 20 pt lead with the globetrotter bonus. I still maintain it would have been close since all my tickets were between 6-10 pts. But we will never know.

Game 2 - Wife saves the day ... For me!!!

We both thought that luck of drawing locomotives almost play too big of a role in the game. But in the second game, I was able to accomplish most of my tickets without using ferries or tunnels. And this game, we managed to draw tickets that didn't overlap as much and were able to finish all of our routes independently. I had connected the northernmost cities through Helsinki and down to Stockholm. We both were able to draw more tickets this game (I finished 10 tickets, and my wife 8... which for both of us was twice what we finished the first game). I wouldn't have finished the 10 if not for the help of my wife. About 5 turns from the end, I drew more tickets and decided to keep two routes going to Bergen and Stavanger which are right next to each other. These were two of the longer routes (worth 17 and 21 pts). And my network spanned to Oslo, so it wasn't too far to reach. But during the next 3 turns, I couldn't draw the train cards I needed for the life of me. And I was lamenting out loud how I was going to be dominated. Until my wife pointed out that I could use the Kristiansand-Stavanger ferry route, which I completely missed (I was trying to through the tunnels connecting oslo and bergen or stavanger and kristiansand, but didn't have enough of those colors. If she didn't say anything I would have lost by 20 points instead of winning by 20 points. It was a huge swing. I still don't consider it a "real win".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.