Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed an increasing tendency for people to use the words "hype" and "buzz" interchangeably, particularly here on BGG. These two words are not synonyms.

Hype refers to claims that are either intentionally deceptive or advertising/promotion that is overblown or contrived.

Buzz is speculative discussion of a soon-to-be published product or excited talk about a recent product by consumers.

So when a bunch of people who have played a new game are posting a lot of positive reviews and ebullient praise, that's not hype - it's just good buzz.

When game company press releases talk up how wonderful their upcoming game is (and it's not) or when sock puppets for a game designer show up on BGG posting positive reviews, those are examples of hype.

Are we clear now? Carry on then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda like complaint vs gripe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Kinda like complaint vs gripe?

Not really a good comparison, since those words are synonyms according to Merriam-Webster.

I know my little rant is unlikely to have any effect, but I had reached my limit of seeing repeated misuse of the word "hype" in game articles and felt I had to express it.

Now, get off my lawn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.